Fonds - Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - CFPR fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - CFPR fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1935-1985 (Creation)
    Creator
    CFPR (Radio Station : Prince Rupert, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

290 sound recordings;294 photographs;9 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1935-)

Administrative history

On December 8, 1942, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) leased the radio station CFPR from Clarence H. Insulander and partners Felix E. Batt, Norm Kinslor, and Sid J. Anderson who had formed the Northwest Broadcasting and Service Company Ltd. On October 29, 1935, with the help of Member of Parliament Olof Hanson, they received their broadcasting license. In the beginning, they were on the air for two hours a day, at noon and suppertime. The CBC was formed as a crown corporation on November 2, 1936. CFPR went on the air for the first time on October 12, 1935 for the federal election broadcast. According to the Daily news on November 19, 1992, "the Prince Rupert station received special recognition from the federal government because of the messages on their daily 'Message Period' to outlying districts and its potential use in case of a bombing or disaster." They received messages from the navy to pass onto lighthouses in those wartime days: code "A" for Apple, meaning everything was OK, proceed normally; code "B" for Butter meant douse lights and muffle foghorns; code "C" meant a complete shutdown - a definite alarm." The CBC bought the station outright in June 1953 (CBC's second manned station in BC). William C. Hankinson had managed the station since 1956. In 1966, CBC bought the 53 acre former radio site at Parizeau Point on Digby Island and erected a new 10-kilowatt transmitter. The CBC had two stations in BC until October 1987 when they announced a plan to improve CBC Radio service. CBC operated out of the Stiles Place location since September 1967 and sold the building to CHTK and Skeena Broadcasters in March 1989. Since then, they have operated out of the Third Avenue location.

Custodial history

the records were donated to the archives by Maureen Atkinson and David Walker.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of radio broadcasts, press releases, photographs, correspondence, a map of CFPR's listening area, and a scrapbook.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Index of sound recordings available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: PRC-3346

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

988-34; P988-30; P988-32; 989-1; 989-2

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised on May 5, 2014

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area