Fonds WRG 1 - Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining Company fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA WHS WRG 1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1928-1967, predominant 1930-1949 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining Company

Physical description area

Physical description

2.7 m of textual records;plans

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1927, veteran prospector, Fred Wells, formed the Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining Company with Dr. W.B. Burnett as president and O.H. Solibakke as director and fiscal agent. The mine, which originally included fifteen claims, was located about fifty miles east of Quesnel, on the northeast end of the Jack of Clubs Lake on Cow Mountain. The first adit driven by Cariboo Gold Quartz was at the 4375 foot level in 1927. Mill production began in 1933 at the rate of about sixty tons per day and by 1936 enough profit had been made to begin dividend payments. The mill reached its peak production of 350 tons per day at the end of the 1940s. The Cariboo Gold Quartz Mine was the first successful large scale gold mining operation in the Cariboo and its activities encouraged other companies to begin hard rock gold mining in the Cariboo region. This boom was called the second gold rush. In 1934 Newmont Mining Corporation began its Island Mountain operation across the Jack of Club Lake from the "Quartz". In 1954 the Cariboo Gold Quartz Company took over control of the Island Mountain Mine. However, by the end of the 1950s, rising labour costs and a static gold price resulted in the closure of Number One Mine on Cow Mountain and in 1967 the Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining operation shut down completely.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of blueprints for mill equipment, invoices, vouchers, receipts, requisitions, production and payroll data, timebooks, Workmen's Compensation reports, accounting statements, equipment inventories, machinery record books, business correspondence, annual reports, and scrapbooks. Of this material, the scrapbooks, which detail the history of the mine and the associated town of Wells, may individually be the most informative documents.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

FindingAids available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: WHS-3073

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres