Title and statement of responsibility area
Canoe United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canoe United Church
Physical description area
2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Canoe United Church was founded at the time of church union in 1925 and is part of Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery. Prior to church union, Methodist services began in Canoe as early as 1888 as members of an interdenominational church gathered in people's homes. Rev. Calvert was the first minister to serve the community. He frequently traveled from Revelstoke by horse and walked when weather was poor.
When the Canoe School was built in 1908, the community congregation faithfully met there. When the community all was built in 1919, services relocated to "Victory Hall."
Rogert Kirk donated a lot to build the church in 1921. Members of the Methodist Church financed the structure. Contractor W.H. Ireland completed the building for $1,593. The first service was held October 30, 1921 and was conductd by Rev. J.D. Hobden. When the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist Churches united in 1925, Canoe United Church was givent its new name and became part of Mount Ida Pastoral Charge (1925-1928), Malakwa Pastoral Charge (1929-1930), Malakwa-Arrowhead Pastoral Charge (1931-1936), and Salmon Arm Pastoral Charge (1937-2009). Canoe United Church is currently an independent pastoral charge.
Some Ministers associated with the church are C.L. Best (1922-1924), T. Keyworth (1924-1926), J.E. Griffiths (1926-1929), J.F. Shaw (1929-1934), E.S. Fleming (1934-1938), V.H. Sansum (1938-1942), F.R.G. Dredge (1942-1947), A.O. Clements (1947-1960), C. Swallow (1960-1966), D. McQuarrie (1966-1971), J. Johnson (1971-1975), D. Salter (1975-1976), and Alvin Adams 1976.
Scope and content
The fonds is divided into one series and consists of financial ledgers.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
BCAUL control number: SAM-3376