Fonds - Canoe United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canoe United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1925-2003 (Creation)
    Canoe United Church
  • 1920-1925 (Creation)
    Canoe Methodist Church

Physical description area

Physical description

43 cm of textual records
1 architectural drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Canoe United Church was founded at the time of church union in 1925 and is part of Kamloops-Okanagan Presbytery. Prior to church union, Methodist services began in Canoe as early as 1888 as members of an interdenominational church gathered in people's homes. Rev. Calvert was the first minister to serve the community. He frequently traveled from Revelstoke by horse and walked when weather was poor.

When the Canoe School was built in 1908, the community congregation faithfully met there. When the community all was built in 1919, services relocated to "Victory Hall."

Rogert Kirk donated a lot to build the church in 1921. Members of the Methodist Church financed the structure. Contractor W.H. Ireland completed the building for $1,593. The first service was held October 30, 1921 and was conductd by Rev. J.D. Hobden. When the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist Churches united in 1925, Canoe United Church was givent its new name and became part of Mount Ida Pastoral Charge (1925-1928), Malakwa Pastoral Charge (1929-1930), Malakwa-Arrowhead Pastoral Charge (1931-1936), and Salmon Arm Pastoral Charge (1937-2009). Canoe United Church is currently an independent pastoral charge.

Some Ministers associated with the church are C.L. Best (1922-1924), T. Keyworth (1924-1926), J.E. Griffiths (1926-1929), J.F. Shaw (1929-1934), E.S. Fleming (1934-1938), V.H. Sansum (1938-1942), F.R.G. Dredge (1942-1947), A.O. Clements (1947-1960), C. Swallow (1960-1966), D. McQuarrie (1966-1971), J. Johnson (1971-1975), D. Salter (1975-1976), and Alvin Adams 1976.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Canoe Methodist Church and Canoe United Church. Records include a Membership records (1947-1975); Board and committee records (1956-2003); Legal/property records (1930); Women's group records (1943-2001); Sunday school records (1929-1972); Congregational financial records (1920-1971); and Annual reports (1961-1989).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred to the Archives by First United Church (Salmon Arm, B.C.) at an undocumented date prior to 2002, and again in 2005.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-272

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised September 15, 2016

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres