Fonds - Canoe Boat Club

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canoe Boat Club

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canoe Boat Club
    Place
    Canoe

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm textual records
14 prints, photographic.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1946 -)

Administrative history

A meeting was called September 22, 1946 to form a boat club in Canoe with the idea of having a Boat Basin dredged out at the mouth of Canoe Creek.

Jimmy Day was nominated Chair and H. Ripley nominated as recording secretary.

In May 1947 it was suggested the Club buy or lease land from John Lund. The club offered John Lund $100 for a lot 200 x 310 feet – just enough for a Boat Basin.

The club gave John Lund a $10 deposit to hold the property until they could canvas the membership for the rest of the funds. Members were assessed $5 to pay for the land and expenses. They also asked Federated Co-op for a donation.

Members who did not turn up for work parties were also assessed additional fees. Shortly after forming, the club was over scribed and had a wait list in 1947. Residents of Canoe were given priority for membership.

Club members were interested in becoming a Society and hired Don McTavish to do the legal work. The Canoe Boat Club was incorporated December 7, 1948.

The members in 1947 were: Mr. Johnson, T. Andrews, A. Schwandt, Mr. Hillsted, F. Downey, H. Miles, S. Sweinson, H. Timpson, J. Day, J. Carmichael, W. Metcalfe, C. Engle, T. Redmond, E. Wright, A. Baird, J. Lund, W. Haines, W. Dalzell, N. Georges, J. Haines, N.S. Richards, H. Chagun, Dr. Drummond, H. McDiarmid, Captain Jones, H. Ripley, G. Williams, P.A. Gorse, C.L. Hart, K. Simmons, D. Swift, Don Graham and R.V. Haney.

The club members worked on the basin and spent time trying to control the weeds. Members successfully canvassed MP Dave Fulton to have the Government dredge the basin and install pilings. The purchased weed killer and maintained the facility.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds is divided into 9 series and consists of minutes (1947-1995) and AGM Minutes (2000-2013), correspondence, membership lists spanning from 1947 to 2008.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

MS 136

Institution identifier

CA-SAM

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres