Fonds - Canadian Government Grain Elevator fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canadian Government Grain Elevator fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1939-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canadian Government Grain Elevator

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1925-1987)

Administrative history

The Canadian Government Grain Elevator was built on the waterfront in Prince Rupert in 1925 and 1926. The first ship to go out with grain was on October 22, 1926. In the 1930s the Depression and Prairie Drought were crippling blows to the operation and it was leased to a private firm. In 1938 the government took it over again but during the Second World War, operations were at a standstill with only a small maintenance staff kept on for the duration and the following five years. In 1951 grain began flowing through the city again owing to trade with the Far East. A new annex was added in 1969 that increased storage capacity to 2.25 million bushels. It closed in May 1985 when a new grain terminal was opened on Ridley Island. The old elevator was demolished in the spring of 1987.

Custodial history

The records were donated to the archives on March 18, 1997 by J.W. Bishop.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records relating to running the Canadian Government Grain Elevator in Prince Rupert. It includes correspondence, lease agreements between Shell Oil and the Minister of Trade for 1947, 1949, and 1951 (copies), a lease agreement between the Minister of Agriculture for Canada and Armour Salvage (1l949 Limited (1971), a list of salary ranges, list of firms in Prince Rupert (1940), minutes (1968), and plans (copies).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

1997.011

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on November 22, 2013
Revised by BCANS Coordinator, Feb 8, 2014

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres