Fonds - British Columbia Department of Public Works fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

British Columbia Department of Public Works fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908- 1909 (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records
4 blueprints

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architects Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).

Custodial history

J. Harry Meneer of Winnipeg MB worked for the CNR and after obtaining these documents in 1965, he donated them to the archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of contracts and blueprints. Included is a contract between the Minister of Public Works, the Honourable Thomas Taylor, and Solomon Cameron of the Westholme Lumber Company (January 11, 1909) of Prince Rupert to build plank roadways and sidewalks. Also included is a contract between the Department of Public Works and the Grant Bros. Company of Vancouver (February 8, 1909) for the completion of sewerage works (sewers, drains, and manholes) at Prince Rupert, BC. Blueprints for the sewer project are included as well.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

2002-023

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on May 13, 2014

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres