Fonds CR-106 - British and Foreign Bible Society Ladner Branch fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

British and Foreign Bible Society Ladner Branch fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DMA CR-106

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1936-1978 (Creation)
    Creator
    British and Foreign Bible Society. Ladner Branch

Physical description area

Physical description

8.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The British and Foreign Bible Society was established in 1804 in England for the purpose of translating and producing Bibles in vernacular languages for distribution to missions throughout the world. The Society grew rapidly as local groups, called auxiliaries, formed in England, Europe and North America. An Auxiliary formed in Victoria in 1872, and a Vancouver Branch met in 1899. In 1904 the Canadian Bible Society, also an auxiliary, was established, and by 1961 became the national umbrella organization for all districts and branches in Canada. Initially each branch had a respresentative on the auxiliary board that, along with elected officers, governed the auxiliary; this later changed to an all elected board as the former governance arrangement became unwieldy. The Ladner Branch of the British Columbia Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society formed in 1908. Officers of the Ladner Branch have included Mr. F. Emerson, Mrs. E. R. (Edith) Bell (who served as secretary for 20 years), Miss Edna Grant, Mrs. S. F. Harris, Mr. W. H. Vanoostendorp, Dugald Morrison (who served as president for 20 years), Miss Viola Wallace, Bertha Reynolds, Mrs. N. Harris, and Mrs. Bert Nottingham. Ministers of local Protestant churches also served on the local board as Vice-Presidents. The main activities of the organization were fund raising in an annual appeal, and educating the public about the importance of the Bible Society's work through lectures, films and mailed packages of information. A joint service of local Protestant churches was held annually in alternate churches from 1942 to 1969 to support the Bible Society and in recognition of the ecumenical spirit of its work. The Ladner and South Delta branches combined in 1965 to form the Ladner-South Delta Branch of the Canadian Bible Society.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes of meetings, financial records, annual reports, copies of annual appeal letters, correspondence with the British Columbia Auxiliary and Canadian Bible Society, and notes, pamphlets, and local newpaper clippings relating to the organization's activities.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: DMA-343

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area