Fonds - Brechin United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brechin United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-1997 (Creation)
    Creator
    Brechin United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

72 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first Methodist services in Brechin were held in homes in 1905.; Later, the building known as Brechin Hall was turned over to the Methodist; Church. The Sunday School closed in 1915, after the local mines were shut; down. It was reopened in 1921 as a "Non-Sectarian Sunday School." Methodist work in Brechin was part of the Wellington Circuit. After church union, it was part of the Wellington Pastoral Charge. In 1931, the Nanaimo Suburban Pastoral Charge was formed, comprised, over the years, of a varying number of preaching points including Brechin, Wellington, Lantzville, Chase River, Cedar, South Wellington, East Wellington, and Extension. By 1952, the yearbook listed only three points: Brechin, Lantzville, and Wellington. Brechin United Church became a separate independent charge in Comox-Nanaimo Presbytery in 1961.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds contains the records of Brechin United Church and some Sunday School records of its predecessor, Brechin Methodist Church. Records include Baptismal registers (1957-1986), Marriage registers (1956-1963), Marriage registers (civil) (1962-1965), and Burial registers (1956-1981); Membership records (1952-1984); Session minutes (1958-1971) and correspondence (1957-1966), Stewards minutes (1957-1970), Official Board minutes (1932-1969), Church Council minutes (1969-1982), Congregational Meetings minutes (1936-1968), Congregational Life and Work Committee minutes (1966-1968), and Christian Education Committee minutes (1959-1965); Woman's Association minutes (1948-1961) and financial records (1958-1961), Woman's Association Evening Auxiliary records (1951-1961), and United Church Women records (1964-1989); As One That Serves (AOTS) records (1975-1982); Sunday School records (1910-1968); Choir minutes and accounts (1957-1971); Congregational Account books (1926-1959); Annual reports (1987-1997); Newsletters (1990-1997); and a Visitor's register (1953-1958).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-204

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres