Fonds MS 47;1976.050;1979.023;1981.104;1985.458 - Boy Scouts of Canada, North Okanagan Division fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Boy Scouts of Canada, North Okanagan Division fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA VERN MS 47;1976.050;1979.023;1981.104;1985.458

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1970 (Creation)
    Creator
    Boy Scouts of Canada. North Okanagan Division

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Scouting In Vernon, B.C. started in the fall of 1913 when Mr. Geoffrey Kearne of the Anglican Church and Mr. Guy Bagnall of the methodist Church decided to run their boys' clubs along scouting lines. The First Vernon Boy Scout Troop was registered in 1914 and the first camp was held that summer at the head of Okanagan Lake. During the first world war, the patrol leaders kept scouting active when their leaders went overseas. At the end of the war, Charles White took over as acting Scoutmaster. By 1920, C.W. Morrow had taken over as Scoutmaster. From 1921 to the late 1950's, Otter Bay ((later known as Ellison Park) was used for the scouts' summer camp. After meeting in various halls in Vernon, the scouts built their own hall in 1926, with many community organizations banding together to fundraise. After being used by the Boy Scouts and other organizations as a theatre, gymnasium, and meeting hall, the Scout Hall was finally demolished in 1972. The Boy Scouts, however, are still in existence in Vernon.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records and documents of the Boy Scouts of Canada, North Okanagan Division from 1913-1970. Includes correspondence, minutes, newspaper articles, photographs, and ephemera which document the establishment, administration and activities of the 1st Vernon Troop, the 2nd Vernon Troop, the Vernon Rover Scouts and the North Okanagan Boy Scouts Association.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series level descriptions are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: VERN-101

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres