Fonds - Booth Memorial School fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Booth Memorial School fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925-1988, predominant 1925 - 1945 (Creation)
    Creator
    Booth Memorial School (Prince Rupert, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records
105 photographs
1 videocassette

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1921 - 1999)

Administrative history

Booth School was located on Hays Cove Circle in Prince Rupert, BC and was completed in 1921. It was named after Sergeant William Booth who was killed on August 11, 1921 while trying to stop a runaway wagon and team of horses that had several children on it. Booth Memorial was an elementary school for grades 1 through 8 and became a junior-senior high school in 1938. An addition was built beside the school in 1951. In 1960, it became the junior high school after the Prince Rupert Senior Secondary School was opened that same year. The original school was torn down in September 1969. In August 1999, demolition of the gym commenced and part of the old school was used as a school maintenance building. A new school, Lax Kxeen Elementary School, was opened on the original Booth Memorial School site on May 10, 2001.

Custodial history

Annual reports were donated by Carole Rugg for School District 52 on July 23, 1985. John Wilson donated photographs July 23, 1990. School attendance registers were kept at King Edward Elementary School and donated in September 1990. Phylis Bowman donated a photograph July 17 1992. Skip Cronck donated principal reports in June 28 2000, seal & stamps, class and teacher photos, and a video on June 29, 2005. Sharlene Closter (Nelson), donated a school register for 1963-64 on July 12, 2005.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of student attendance registers (1925-1938) and 1963-1964) for Booth School, photographs, and yearbooks. Included are student corporal punishment records (1936-1938), principal's reports (1956-1959), annual reports for the Department of Education, 1932-1945, and a video cassette showing the demolition of the old school in 1970.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Photographs were donated by Booth Memorial School on October 18, 1989

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Corporal punishment records are restricted. All records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: PRC-1973

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

991-10

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised, November 6, 2013
Revised by BCANS Coordinator, Dec 10, 2013

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres