Fonds - Bella Coola General Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bella Coola General Hospital fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
  • Variations in title: Formerly known as Bella Coola General Hospital Board of Trustees fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908-2014 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bella Coola General Hospital

Physical description area

Physical description

3.08 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1908-)

Administrative history

Bella Coola General Hospital is located in Bella Coola, British Columbia along the central coast. It currently serves local residents and those in the surrounding areas, including the Nuxalk Nation.

In 1908, prior to United Church administration of the hospital, settlers in Bella Coola formed the Bella Coola Hospital Committee. Its members were elected by a public meeting at the Hagensborg schoolhouse to raise funds for, and eventually to oversee the management of a hospital in Bella Coola. In 1909 the Bella Coola General Hospital was incorporated under the Benevolent Societies Act of B.C., and the Hospital itself was at least briefly in operation by the end of 1910. The founding members of the Committee were (Mr.) B. Brynildson as Chair, C. Carlson as Secretary-Treasurer, Rev. W.H. Gibson, J.B. Sylvester and T.H. Johnson. It eventually came to include the Medical Superintendent of the Hospital, and by the 1980s, the Hospital Administrator.

The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 and donated land for a new building; the Church took responsibility for the ongoing financial support of the Hospital in 1928. When the Hospital became financially independent of the United Church, and the Board reported first to the Province of British Columbia under the Hospital Act. The association with the United Church continued to exist, in part because of the difficulty recruiting qualified personnel to work in isolated places.

The original Bella Coola General Hospital building was replaced with a more adequate second hospital building in 1929. By the 1970s, the second hospital building was deteriorating and a new hospital was needed. The third hospital building, a 15-bed facility, was opened on September 20, 1980.

In the late 1990s, British Columbia restructured how healthcare was delivered in the province, moving toward regionalization. The decision was made to transfer operation of Bella Coola General Hospital from the United Church of Canada to a regional Health Authority. As a result, in March 1998, the Bella Coola General Hospital Board, with the support of the United Church of Canada gave notice to Ministry of Health to transfer responsibility for hospital operations from the Board to the Bella Coola and District Transitional Health Authority. The intent was to turn over the full operation to community boards after a three years trial period or operation would revert back to the United Church of Canada. Per the original agreement, the Transitional Health Authority was dissolved in December 2001.

The operation of Bella Coola General Hospital reverted back to the United Church of Canada under the Provincial Denominational Health Services Master Agreement. A new Hospital Board was formed by Dr. Ray McIlwain in February 2002. Under the new regionalization model in British Columbia, Bella Coola General Hospital formed an affiliation agreement to the Kelowna/Central Interior Region but was reassigned, by request, to Vancouver Coastal Health to better serve the community. By 2003, Bella Coola General Hospital had an independent community Board providing direction and accountability. The United Church of Canada shifted control of their health services over to the United Church Health Services Society in 2008.

In August 2013, it was announced that the affiliation agreement between the United Church Health Services Society and Vancouver Coastal Health was ending. Full control and operation of the hospital was handed over to Vancouver Coast Health in June 2014.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of 12 record series: Bella Coola Hospital founding Committee minutes (1908-1948); Board policy records (1972-1985); Minutes and reports of the Board of Directors (1939-1997); Bella Coola and District Transitional Health Authority (1998-2001); Minutes and reports of the new Board of Directors (2002-2010); Committees of the Board (1972-1995); Administrative records (1941-2014, predominant 1973-1997); Financial records (1970-2013); General Hospital and Bella Coola community reports (1998-2010); Media (1950-2008); Property and building records (1995-1998); and Third Bella Coola General Hospital (1978-1981). The first accession of records was arranged and described in 1997 by Alaric Posey. These records consist of early Board meeting minutes, reports, and policies. These were described at the series level. The second accrual of records was arranged and described by Kelly Rovegno in 2017. These records date from 1908-2014, although the predominant range is 1970-2005. Records include Board meeting minutes and reports from the Board of Directors, various committees, the Bella Coola and District Transitional Health Authority, and documents relating to the administration and finances of the Hospital, mostly from 1970s onward. In addition, there is a considerable amount of records relating to the construction and opening of the third Bella Coola General Hospital.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred directly from Bella Coola General Hospital

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Fonds contains files with personal information protected under the Personal Information Protection Act. Such files are identified on the box list; please consult the archivist for further information.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available Online finding aid

Associated materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-86

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

AffB 4

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised July 10, 2017

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area