Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Kootenay. Synod

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Kootenay. Synod

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Diocese of Kootenay was formed according to a decision of the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster in November 1899 to divide the latter Diocese. The boundaries of the Diocese of Kootenay were established as that area of the Diocese of New Westminster extending along 120 degrees longitude eastward to the British Columbia and Alberta border. In 1900 the Synod of the new Diocese met for the first time in Nelson. At this meeting, Nelson was chosen as the See city and St. Saviour's Church as the Cathedral. The basis of division of the Diocese of New Westminster stipulated that a Bishop for the new Diocese would not be elected until funds were in place, in the form of a Bishopric Endowment Fund, to support a Bishop. Until 1914 when this condition was met and a first Bishop was elected, the Bishop of New Westminster maintained jurisdiction over Kootenay. In 1903 the Synod of the Diocese of Kootenay was incorporated by act of the provincial legislature. In the early 1950's a Synod Office was established in Kelowna and, since about 1955, the Bishop has resided in Kelowna. In 1987 St. Michael and All Angels' Church in Kelowna was constituted the Cathedral.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places