Title and statement of responsibility area
Alumni Association fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1911-2004, predominant 1954-1990 (Creation)
- University of British Columbia. Alumni Association
Physical description area
17.16 m of textual records and other materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The University of British Columbia Alumni Association was founded in 1917. Its goal was, and continues to be, to link alumni with the University and with each other, and to support the mission and activities of the University. After experiencing a tenuous existence through its first two decades, the Association began to take shape after re-writing its constitution in 1935. Various graduate associations were formed to operate under the guidance of the Association: "divisions" organized according to undergraduate program, and "branches" organized by city or region outside of the Vancouver area. Branches and divisions hold periodic reunions, as well as a number of other social and professional activities and events. The Association itself also organizes various events and activities on campus. Several issues of a newsletter, The Bulletin, were published during the 1920's. The first Graduate Chronicle was published in 1931, and was published on an irregular basis thereafter. Renamed The Alumni Chronicle in 1948, and later simply The Chronicle, it is currently published on a quarterly basis. In 1946, to facilitate its fundraising activities, the Association was incorporated as an independent body under the Societies Act; its liason with the University through the External Affairs Office. From 1953 to 1963, the Association organized the annual meetings of Convocation, and its Director served as Convocation Secretary. Since 1967, the Association has operated Cecil Green Park House as a venue for banquets, receptions and other social events. For much of its history the Association engaged in extensive fund-raising activities on behalf of the University, through its Alumni Annual Giving campaigns, the Development fund, the Capital Gifts Campaign, and various scholarships and bursaries. However, in 1989 all fund-raising activities were transferred to the Development Office.
Scope and content
The fonds consists mainly of records generated by the Alumni Association in the course of its programs and activities, and by/about its branches and divisions. The records are in the form of correspondence, reports, minutes of meetings, manuscripts for "The Chronicle", and some published materials. Also included in the fonds are materials of historical interest collected by Frances Tucker in the course of her research for a history of the Association published for its fiftieth anniversary in 1966; these consist of written notes, clippings and other published materials, scrapbooks, photographs, correspondence, a first draft of her project, and index cards. Finally, the records of Harry Franklin, Executive Director from 1972 to 1979, are included; the files contain some Association records as well as Franklin's. Records stored in boxes 1-20 date from 1911 to 1966, and the rest date from 1955 to 1992. Because of the long time period between the accessions of these two bodies of records, and their different organization, they have not been physically integrated. Wherever possible, their original order has been maintained or restored. The fonds is arranged in the following series: Subject Files (1916-1966), Annual Reports (1946-1963), Board of Management (1951-1965), Committees (1935-1962, 1977-2001), Accounts (1945-1961), Fund-Raising (1946-1965, 1975-1989), Publications (1924-1959), Convocation (1939-1960), Boxing Day Ball (1946-1959), President's Correspondence (1953-1960), Branches (1946-1960, 1967-1989), Divisions (1953-1959, 1959-1987), American Alumni Council (1946- 1966), Alumni Assocation History Files (1911-1966), Executive Director's Files (1955-1991), Homecoming / Reunions (1973-1992), Student Affairs (1964-1982), Alumni Summer College (1981-1984), Communications (1955-1989), Cecil Green Park (1966-1990), Harry Franklin's Files (1967-1978), and Alumni Association Annual Dinner series (1996-2004).
Immediate source of acquisition
The records of the Alumni Association have been transferred to the University Archives in several accessions. Those materials listed in the first twenty boxes were transferred in several stages between 1973 and 1986; the rest were transferred in 1995 and 2005.
Files 63-6 and 63-7 were acquired from UBC Board of Governors member Joy
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Some photographs are digitized and listed in the historical photograph database in series UBC 93.1.
Restrictions on access
Access to records which contain personal information about Association members and other private individuals is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-128
Includes: 35 photographs, ca. 360 negatives, 3 albums, 11 architectural drawings, and 28 videotapes.