The Alert Bay Public Library and Museum is operated by the Alert Bay Public Library and Museum Association and was created in 1958 as a centennial project. The Association moved into its present building in 1959. The Library and Museum serves as the library for the Village of Alert Bay and also houses museum artifacts and archival records pertaining to Alert Bay and area.
Records management and collecting policies
Holdings consist of early records of the Village of Alert Bay starting with incorporation in 1946, minute books from local organizations, a collection of copies of the Pioneer Journal published by Ron E. Shuker (1939-1941, 1951-1964) and other local newspapers. The photographic collection consists of 6,900 images dating from the mid 1800s to today. The collection area is confined to Alert Bay and surrounding vicinity.