Fonds - Alberni Indian Residential School fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alberni Indian Residential School fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1937-1976 (Creation)
    Alberni Indian Residential School

Physical description area

Physical description

5.5 cm of textual records
8 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Alberni Indian Residential School was opened as a Day School by the Presbyterian Rev. J.A. MacDonald in 1891. MacDonald's sister was able to interest the Presbyterian Woman's Missionary Society in the need for a larger school, and the new school soon became a boarding school with 50 pupils under the Presbyterian W.M.S., with Miss Elizabeth Lister as its first matron and a Mr. McKee as the teacher. H.B. Currie was Principal when the school burned down in 1917, and continued in that post when the new building, paid for by the government, was opened in 1920. Management of the school was passed to the United Church Woman's Missionary Society with church union in 1925. F.E. Pitts was appointed Principal in 1927, and remained with the school until after R.C. Scott was appointed Principal of the school in late 1939, succeeded by A.F. Caldwell in 1944. Also in 1944, two new classroom blocks and the senior residence, later Peake Hall, were built on the site, and responsibility for hiring teachers was passed to the federal government. Caldwell was succeeded by John Dennys in 1958, and J.A. Andrews in 1962. In 1969, the federal government took over full responsibility for the management of the school.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a Scrapbook, 1962-1968; a Baptismal record, 1938-1969; a Civil marriage register, 1937-1976; and a Communion roll, 1941-1954. The Communion roll was passed to a congregation, probably Tseshaht United Church, of which the students were members, and used as a record of those members of the congregation who were students at the School from 1954 to 1956.

Notes area

Physical condition


Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred from Alberni Indian Residential School after 1969 (exact date unknown).


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of B.C. applies to Civil marriage register.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online File List

Associated materials

Coqualeetza Institute fonds
Robert Clyde Scott fonds

Related materials


Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-95

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

AffB 8

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised August 2, 2011
Revised November 3, 2011
Revised January 28, 2015

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area