Series - Administration files

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Administration files

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1991 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Kootenay. Synod

Physical description area

Physical description

520 cm of textual records;3 photographs;1 drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Diocese of Kootenay was formed according to a decision of the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster in November 1899 to divide the latter Diocese. The boundaries of the Diocese of Kootenay were established as that area of the Diocese of New Westminster extending along 120 degrees longitude eastward to the British Columbia and Alberta border. In 1900 the Synod of the new Diocese met for the first time in Nelson. At this meeting, Nelson was chosen as the See city and St. Saviour's Church as the Cathedral. The basis of division of the Diocese of New Westminster stipulated that a Bishop for the new Diocese would not be elected until funds were in place, in the form of a Bishopric Endowment Fund, to support a Bishop. Until 1914 when this condition was met and a first Bishop was elected, the Bishop of New Westminster maintained jurisdiction over Kootenay. In 1903 the Synod of the Diocese of Kootenay was incorporated by act of the provincial legislature. In the early 1950's a Synod Office was established in Kelowna and, since about 1955, the Bishop has resided in Kelowna. In 1987 St. Michael and All Angels' Church in Kelowna was constituted the Cathedral.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of correspondence, minutes, reports, financial records, newsletters, notes, printed material, statistics, subject files, clippings, photographs, drawing. Series consists of classes 100 to 340 with files arranged alphabetically in series, including files relating to archives; associations; coat of arms; committees and commissions, including diocesan (Administration, Executive, Finance, Planning and Stipend Committees), national and provincial bodies and House of Bishops; conferences; constitution and canons; cooperation and liaison; councils; newsletters and publications, including the diocesan newspaper, "The High-way"; religious orders; statistics; Synods, diocesan, general and provincial; subjects and issues; theological schools, including Vancouver School of Theology; and tours and visits.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGKOOT-721

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres