Showing 41 results

authority records
Education

Department of Education - Rural Schools (Shuswap)

  • MS 145
  • Corporate body
  • 1908 - 1948

Tappen Valley School
When Charles Henry (Charlie) Brooke donated the land for Tappen Valley School he also ensured his children’s education. He had recently moved to Cardinal Ranch in Tappen October 31, 1914. His diaries document a list of activities. He started getting to know the community by personally circulating a petition for a school and, after a Mr. McArthur rescinded his offer of a site for the school, Brooke donated an acre of land himself. It was located on the Tappen Valley Road.

It is believed that, until the Tappen Valley School opened, Brooke took his children to the Tappen School on Bolton Road. On December 15, 1914 Brooke calculated an estimate for the cost of building a new school. A meeting was called and initially, one of the parents, a Mr. Fox, opted out of the project, wanting to send his children to Kault (Kualt) school.

An election of school trustees was held December 28, 1914. Three candidates are recorded in C.H. Brooke’s diaries. Fowler received 15 votes, Brooke 17 and Sweeten 12. It was agreed that all present were entitled to vote, including the women. When it was decided to include the votes of the women present, the meeting had to be quickly adjourned until Brooke could consult the Act. It appeared that women had the right to vote for School Trustees.

Local residents built the one–room school from hand–hewn logs and it was completed in 1915. Neighbours who helped build the school were listed in Charlie Brooke’s diaries: Moseley, Lee, T. Sweeten, G. Sweeten, Fowler, McDonald, S. Elliott, Blair, Gardiner, W. Rogers, C. Laingslow, Woolett, Eggleshaw, and Charlie Brooke.

Acting for the Trustees, Brooke negotiated with and hired Mrs. Eveleen Parker. In an exchange of telegraphs Mrs. Parker responded that she would come January 3rd.

The early teachers were:
• Mrs. Eveleen B. Parker from Revelstoke (~January to June 1915)
• Miss Stirling (August 1915 – December 1916)
• Miss Preston (January 1917 – December 1917). Miss Preston boarded with the Brooke family. Miss Preston may have taught at the Tappen Valley School until June 1918 but there is no surviving register for this year. She asked for a recommendation February 5, 1918.
• Miss E.A. Coles, September 1918 to 1921 (only a partial record has survived for 1921).

When, some years later, the Carlin School Parent Teachers’ Association compiled a cookbook as a fundraiser, Norma Surtees supplied information about the years she taught at the Tappen Valley School (1933–1935). She wrote that it was the teacher’s job to keep the school clean, light the fire, and carry water. The students under her charge were very co–operative and helpful. Older students would arrive at the school before her to get the fire going, and all the students did their share in keeping the school clean. Douglas Miller, a neighbour across the road, used to bring a bucket of water daily for the school children.

According to Allan Wilson, the school served the community of students until 1951, when Carlin Elementary School opened.

After the school was decommissioned the land it sat on was eventually purchased by the owners of a fuse plant in 1969. The old school log building was not required by the new owner, so arrangements were made for Keven Julian (Julian) Codd to move it across the road to his property, formerly Douglas Miller’s farm. The building was used for storage until it was accidently burned in a grass fire in 2010.

Carlin Siding School
The first location for Carlin Siding School was in a log building on land owned by (Thomas Alfred) Saintabin on Tappen–Notch Hill Road, east of the railway crossing where the trestle came across.

When the new school was opened in 1908, Josephine Bledsoe (nee Saintabin) was five. She was sent to school because there were not enough students to open the school. She remembers her first teacher was Miss Greenwood, followed by Carrie Peterson, May Johnson and then Miss Langlow (sic Langslow).

Miss Hilda Hutton was the next teacher, but resigned in December. The School Trustees hired a new teacher, Miss May Cecelia Rath and she and the students moved into a new building on Robert Gardiner’s farm. The old school remained on site and was used by Saintabin for storage.

The new school was also log and is well photographed. Moving the school operation closer to White Lake allowed the Finish children from that area to attend as well. It was only a four mile walk! By September 1913 attendance had jumped to 24 students from 17 in the previous year.

There are conflicting reports of when this move happened, but according to the Observer it was nearing completion in December 1912. In the 1913 register the teacher notes the attendance record on January 7th because the “School was not finished” the previous day. Three students transferred to Balmoral School – Dolf, Louise and Frank Oulette (Ouillette)– resulting in only a net increase of 6 new students. New students were Ernest and Minnie Maki, Vilju (Viljo) Mikkelson, Victor Robinson, Annie and Aile Harju.

The second location was below the present day Carlin Elementary Middle School, on the same side of the highway.

At some point the Gardiner property changed ownership and came into the hands of Joseph Rabie. When Rabie died in 1936, the property was divided amongst family members. Work on the highway further divided the Rabie property.

According to Allan Wilson, the log building served the community of students until 1951 when Carlin Elementary School was opened.
The Carlin Siding School was moved to Three Valley Gap, west of Revelstoke, in 1965.

Lee Creek School
Historically school children in Lee Creek had to leave the community for their education according to the North Shuswap Historical Society publication Shuswap Chronicles. They boarded nearby in Blind Bay and Sorrento for instruction but by 1918 there were enough school–aged children to form a school. Residents of Lee Creek lobbied the Department of Education and in May 1919 the School Inspector visited Lee Creek. He recommended that the catchment area for students be extended from the Adams River to Scotch Creek Indian Reserve to help the area qualify for a subsidy. $150 was granted to help with building expenses and Oliver Freeman, a bachelor, donated an acre of land by the lake for a site.

At a meeting of ratepayers on July 12, 1919 school trustees Mrs. Alex McKay, Bill Dempster, Ray Corning, and Bill McKay were elected.

A five hundred square foot school was built with lumber donated by Freeman. Carpenter Alex McKay designed and supervised the project with help from Ray Corning, Bill McKay, and James Lockerby. Emil De Portier and James Freeman helped cut a road to improve access to the site.

The school was opened in September and Winnifred Smythe of Revelstoke was hired to teach 12 students. The school also served as a community hall for political meetings, dances, parties, and church services.

The school closed for lack of students in 1928 when Barbara Wood and others moved to Kamloops for high school education. It opened again in 1934 for three years and Mrs. Spears was hired to teach. It was closed again until 1950, when it opened until 1954. Eventually school buses were used to take students to Celista and beyond for school.

According to author Jim Cooperman, the building became a garage for a time and fell into disrepair. It was torn down in the 1990s.

Gibson, Barbara

  • Person
  • [fl. 1966-1976]

Barbara Gibson was a faculty member of the University of British Columbia’s School of Librarianship (later the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, now the iSchool). She was also a UBC’s graduate of the Class of ’35, and left in 1936 to pursue a career in nursing.
In 1966 and 1967, Woodward Library acquired the Sister Mary Gonzaga letters, which came together with a collection of Florence Nightingale letters, from Goodspeed Dealers in Boston. These letters were later transferred to Rare Books and Special Collections in 2013. At the time of the acquisition, Gibson became interested in the life of Sister Mary Gonzaga, a Canadian nurse, born in 1825, who spent most of her life in Britain. During the following years, Gibson compiled research materials from various other sources, mostly from the United Kingdom, in order to write a biography of Sister Mary Gonzaga.

Kahn, Sharon E.

  • Person
  • 1946-

Sharon Elaine Kahn was born in Kansas City, Missouri, USA in 1946. She received postsecondary degrees from Washington University, St. Louis (BA English Literature 1968), Boston University (Med Counselling and Guidance 1969), and Arizona State University (PhD Counselling Psychology 1975). In 1975, Kahn accepted a faculty position in the Department of Counselling Psychology at the University of British Columbia, where she earned tenure and was promoted to full professor. Kahn concentrated her research on counselling theory, gender-fair practices, and women’s career issues. Her scholarly activities included two edited books, seven book chapters, more than twenty-five refereed articles, as well as numerous conference presentations and research reports.
In 1989, Kahn became UBC’s first Director of Employment Equity, and in 1994, she was appointed UBC’s first Associate Vice President, Equity, responsible for administering the University’s employment and educational equity programs and for its handling complaints of discrimination and harassment. Under her direction, UBC received two Certificates of Merit from the federal government for special achievement in implementing an employment equity work plan and maintaining a representative workforce. In 1997, Human Resources Development Canada awarded the University its Vision Award for the excellence of its employment equity program. In 2006, Kahn became UBC’s first Academic Leadership Coach, a position that supports the University’s senior leadership. Kahn retired from UBC in 2013.
In 1986, Kahn married Thomas Edgar Blom, a professor of English literature at the University of British Columbia. Professor Blom died in 2003. In 2015, Kahn married Barrie James MacFadden, a retired Vancouver elementary school teacher.

Kröller, Eva-Marie

  • Person
  • [ca. 1950- ]

Eva-Marie Kröller was born in Germany, and earned her undergraduate degree (Staatsexamen) at the University of Freiburg, and her Ph.D. in comparative literature at the University of Alberta. Following appointments as sessional lecturer, SSHRC postdoctoral fellow, and visiting professor at UBC's Department of English between 1978 and 1983, she joined the Department in 1984 as an assistant professor; she was promoted to associate professor in 1987, and to professor in 1993. She specializes in comparative Canadian and European literature, with an emphasis on travel writing, literary history and cultural semiotics. She was chair of the comparative literature programme at UBC from 1990 to 1995, and served as editor of Canadian Literature from 1995 to 2003, for which she won the 2004 Distinguished Editor Award from the Council of Editors of Learned Journals. Professor Kröller has been appointed an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (1987-88), a Killam Faculty Research Fellow (2009), and Visiting Professor at the John F. Kennedy Institute, Free University of Berlin (1992), and at the Nordamerikaprogramm, University of Bonn (2001). She was elected to the Royal Society of Canada in 2007. She has also won several UBC awards: the Killam Research Prize (1995), the Killam Teaching Prize (1999), and the Dean of Arts Award (2002).

Levitan, Seymour

  • Person
  • 1936-

Seymour Levitan was born in Philadelphia in 1936. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1961 but missed the Vietnam war. He received his B.A. and M.A. in English Literature from the University of Pennsylvania, and went on to join the Department of English at UBC, where he taught from 1966 to 1972. In addition to his work teaching English, Levitan also became well-known as a translator and editor of Yiddish poems and stories. Paper Roses, his selection and translation of Rachel Korn’s poetry, was the 1988 winner of the Robert Payne Award of the Translation Center at Columbia University. He also helped organize the Jewish Film Festival and the Chelm Film Series.

Lowe, Lawrence E.

  • Person
  • 1933-2016

Dr. Lawrence E. Lowe (March 29, 1933 – June 17, 2016) was a faculty member in the Department of Soil Science in the UBC Faculty of Agricultural Sciences (now Land and Food Systems). Born in Toronto and educated in England, Lowe attended Oxford University (B.A. 1954, M.A. 1958). He went on to graduate work at Macdonald College, McGill University (M.Sc. 1960, Ph.D. 1963). He joined UBC as an assistant professor in 1966, after a period of soil survey and soil research work in Alberta. A specialist in the field of soil chemistry, Lowe’s research focused on soil organic matter. He was promoted to associate professor in 1970, and professor in 1975. As Associate Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences from 1985 to 1991 Lowe held responsibilities for student counselling, admissions, records, and curriculum matters, as well as continuing to teach. He retired as professor emeritus in 1994.

Mattessich, Richard

  • Person
  • 1922-2019

Dr. Richard Mattessich was born in 1922 in Trieste, Italy, and grew up and went to school in Vienna, Austria. He obtained his degree in mechanical engineering in 1940, and his MBA in 1944 and a doctorate in economics in 1945 from the Vienna School of Economics and Business Administration. He was a research fellow of the Austrian Institute of Economic Research, and an instructor at the Rosenberg Institute of St. Gallen, Switzerland. In 1952 he moved to Canada, and was appointed Head of the Department of Commerce at Mount Allison University (1953-59). From 1959 to 1967 he was Associate Professor of Accounting at the University of California, Berkeley. Beginning in 1967 he was Professor of Accounting at the University of British Columbia, holding the distinguished Arthur Andersen & Co. Chair. He retired in 1987, and the following year was named emeritus professor. He has also held visiting professorships in Berlin, Christchurch (New Zealand), Graz (Austria), Hong Kong, Parma (Italy), St. Gallen, and Tokyo.
Perhaps best-known for introducing the concept of electronic spreadsheets into the field of business accounting, Mattessich has also pioneered the use of analytical and philosophical methods in accounting research. He has numerous publications to his credit, both books and articles, some of which have been translated into French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. His best-known books are Accounting and Analytical Methods (1964); Simulation of the Firm Through a Budget Computer Program (1964), which introduced the concept of computerized spreadsheets; Instrumental Reasoning and Systems Methodology – An epistemology of the applied and social sciences (1978); Two Hundred Years of Accounting Research (2009); and Reality and Accounting – Ontological explorations in the economic and social sciences (2013). He also edited two anthologies: Modern Accounting Research: History, Survey, and Guide (1984), and Accounting Research in the 1980s and its Future Relevance (1991).
Mattessich has been awarded honorary degrees from Complutense University of Madrid (1998), the University of Malaga, Spain (2006), Montesquieu University in Bordeaux, France (2006), and the University of Graz, Austria (2007). He is also an honorary life member of the Academy of Accounting Historians, and has received a number of other honorary appointments and honours. He has served on the governing boards of the School of Chartered Accountancy of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia and the CGA-Canada Research Foundation, and has been on the editorial boards of several professional journals.

Measday, David

  • Person
  • 1937-2015

Dr. David Frederick Measday was born in London, England in 1937. He studied at King’s College School, Wimbledon before attending Wadham College, Oxford. There he earned bachelors (1959) and doctorate (1962) degrees in physics. From 1962 to 1965 Dr. Measday was a post-doctoral fellow at Harvard University in Boston. He then went on to work at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Geneva, Switzerland from 1965-1970. In 1970 he joined what was then the Department of Physics (later to become the Department of Physics & Astronomy) at the University of British Columbia with a particular interest in working with the university’s new particle accelerator TRIUMF. From 1970 to 1975 he taught as an associate professor, earning the rank of full professor in 1975. He was awarded UBC’s Senior Killam Fellowship which enabled his 1977/1978 sabbatical studies at CERN and the CEA Centre at Saclay, France. In 1990 he became Associate Dean of Science and in 1998 was Dean pro tem. In this capacity, Dr. Measday aided with the reorganization of the Departments within the Faculty of Science included the shift to computer centred laboratories.

Methodist Church of Canada. Woman's Missionary Society. British Columbia Conference Branch

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-1925

The first branch in B.C. of the Methodist Woman's Missionary Society was organized at the old Pandora Avenue Church in Victoria in 1888. It soon became the auxiliary of Metropolitan Church, and its original purpose was to help in the setting up of a "rescue home" for Chinese women and girls who had been forced into prostitution. Other local auxiliaries soon appeared throughout the province, and in 1891 they were unified through the establishment of the B.C. Conference Branch of the W.M.S. In 1904, District branches were created for Victoria, Vancouver, Westminster and Kamloops. Besides the rescue home in Victoria, the Methodist W.M.S. in B.C. supported Residential Schools such as the Crosby Girls' Home in Port Simpson (Lax Kw'alaams), the Coqualeetza Institute in Chilliwack, the Elizabeth Long Memorial Home in Kitamaat (Haisla); the Turner Institute in Vancouver; and Methodist hospitals at Port Simpson, Bella Bella and Hazelton.

Norris, John MacKenzie

  • Person
  • 1925-2010

John MacKenzie Norris (1925-2010) was born on March 3, 1925 in Kelowna, B.C. to Jean Mary Norris (née) Denovan and Thomas Grantham Norris. At the time of his birth, his father, T.G. Norris, was practicing as a lawyer in Kelowna and subsequently served as a judge on both the British Columbia Supreme Court and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. John Norris had an older sister and a younger brother, attended elementary schools in Kelowna and Vancouver, and graduated from Lord Byng Secondary School in Vancouver. He enlisted with the Royal Navy in 1943 and, after returning, attended UBC from 1946-1949 where he obtained both a Bachelor of Arts Degree (1948) and a Master of Arts Degree (1949). At UBC he met Barbara Violet Casey whom he married in 1947. They had one son, Thomas Norris. John Norris pursued additional graduate work at Northwestern University, obtaining his Ph.D. in 1955, and post-graduate studies at the London School of Economics.
In 1953, John Norris began teaching as an instructor within the Department of History at the University of British Columbia and in 1964 became a Professor of the Department of History. He published five books and numerous articles in the areas of administrative, economic and demographic history. During the 1970s, he began to change his academic focus towards the history of medicine and over the next few decades he specialized in the study of the history of various diseases, including plague, cholera, and scurvy.
In 1980, John Norris was appointed Professor and Director of the Division of the History of Medicine and Science at UBC. He continued to serve in this role until his retirement early in 1990 when he was extended the title of Professor Emeritus in the History of Medicine. He continued to teach on a part-time basis until at least 2004.
Norris served on many boards and committees, including acting as the Chair of the Osler Medal Committee of the American Association for the History of Medicine (1978-1979); as Chair of the Programme Committee of the Canadian Society for the History of Medicine (1983); and as the Chair of the Grants Committee of the Hannah Institute for the History of Medicine (1980). At UBC, he served in such capacities as Chairman, University Curriculum Committee, UBC (1968-1974); as a Member of the University Senate (1964-1974); and as Chairman of the University Grievance Committee (1968-1969). He held an American Council of Learned Societies Graduate Fellowship, 1951-3, a Nuffield Commonwealth Fellowship, 1961-1962, a Canada Council Senior Fellowship, 1967-1968; and a Killam Senior Research Scholarship, from 1975-1976.
John Norris was an active member in politics, first in the C.C.F., and subsequently of the N.D.P. In 1963, he unsuccessfully ran to be N.D.P. representative for Vancouver Centre during the British Columbia Provincial election.
John Norris died on May 2, 2010. At the time of his death, he was working on a history of cholera.

Oberlander, H. Peter

  • Person
  • 1922-2008

Dr. H. Peter Oberlander was a Canadian architect and Canada’s first professor of urban and regional planning. H. Peter Oberlander enjoyed four decades of teaching, research and public service in Canada during which he became the founding Director of the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning, the founding Director of the Centre for Human Settlements, and Member of the Order of Canada.
Professor Heinz Peter Oberlander, OC, PhD FRAIC LLD (HON), was born in Vienna, Austria on November 29, 1922. He emigrated with his family to Canada in 1940 to escape Nazi occupied Europe and earned a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1945 at the School of Architecture at McGill University. H. Peter Oberlander became the first Canadian to earn a Master of City of Planning degree from Harvard’s Graduate School of Design in 1947 and subsequently in 1957 became the first Canadian to obtain a Doctorate in Regional Planning from Harvard.
After graduation from Harvard, H. Peter Oberlander worked first in England, before returning to Canada in July 1948 to work for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Department of Research and Education. There he wrote a brief to the Massey Commission on the need for federal government fellowship support of the arts and sciences. The brief prompted then UBC President, Dr. Norman MacKenzie, to ask H. Peter Oberlander to launch Canada’s first professional program in Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) which was established in 1954. H. Peter Oberlander became the founding Director of the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning, and subsequently founding Director of the Centre for Human Settlements, devoted to planning research. From 1995 he served as Adjunct Professor in Political Science at Simon Fraser University and was concurrently UBC Professor Emeritus in Community and Regional Planning until his death.
H. Peter Oberlander’s commitment to public service work in British Columbia and Canada included being the co-founder of the Lower Mainland Regional Planning Board in 1949 and Chair of Vancouver’s Town Planning Commission in 1967 until he resigned in opposition to the city’s ill-fated freeway plans for Downtown Vancouver. In 1970, Oberlander served at the federal level for three years as the inaugural Secretary (Deputy Minister) of the newly established Federal Ministry of State for Urban Affairs. During his three-year tenure he created a process of tri-level consultation on urban development among federal/provincial/municipal governments for the planned re-use of redundant federal lands for local community needs. These areas included Vancouver’s Granville Island and Toronto’s Harbourfront. Between 1998 and 2008, Oberlander also served as a Federal Citizenship Court Judge.
Peter Oberlander’s international public service began in 1952 with work on a three-member team assembled by the United Nation’s Centre for Housing, Building and Planning in New York. In 1958 he was asked by the UN to assist Ghana in developing a national housing policy and later in 1976, he created the UBC Centre for Human Settlements which served as a depository for audio-visual materials from the 1976 UN Conference on Human Settlements (Habitat I). Between 1980 and 1990 Oberlander served on the Canadian delegations to the annual meetings of the UN Commission on Human Settlements in Nairobi, Kenya. In 1996 he was appointed Special Assistant to Dr. Wally N’Dow, Secretary-General for the Habitat II conference in Istanbul, Turkey. In the early years of the new millennium, Oberlander became instrumental in securing Vancouver, BC as the location for the 2006 UN-Habitat World Urban Forum (WUF 3).
Professionally, in the 1960s, Peter Oberlander worked extensively with Thompson, Berwick and Pratt, an architectural and planning firm in Vancouver. During the 1990s Oberlander maintained his professional involvement as Associate Partner with Downs/Archambault and Partners (now DA Architects & Planners) in Vancouver.
Peter Oberlander's many awards included an Honorary Doctorate from UBC in 1998, the President’s Lifetime Achievement Award of the Canadian Institute of Planners at its inaugural presentation in 2006, a Civic Merit Award from the City of Vancouver in 2008 and posthumously, the United Nations Scroll of Honour Award on World Habitat Day, October 4, 2009, for his work and dedication in improving global urban living conditions.
Peter Oberlander married architect and fellow Member of the Order of Canada, Cornelia Hahn, in 1953. They collaborated extensively on professional projects throughout their marriage until his death on December 27, 2008.

Pacific Educational Press

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-

Pacific Educational Press (PEP) is the publishing house of the Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia. PEP publishes educational books and media resources, including textbooks and supplementary resources for schools, scholarly books for education specialists, textbooks for teacher education programs, and professional resources for practicing teachers. The Press was founded in 1971 as the Vancouver Environment Education Group (VEEP). In its early years VEEP focused on providing resources for elementary school teachers, focussing primarily on environmental education. In 1974 it changed its name to Western Education Development Group – abbreviated to WEDG, and later, WEDGE, only retaining its full name in the copyright information of its books. WEDGE expanded the range of subjects of its publications, and a number of series were produced in conjunction with other organizations during this period. The final name change to Pacific Educational Press occurred in 1987. PEP began producing textbooks for both the K-12 market and for teacher education courses. In addition, the Press has published a number of supplemental resources for teachers, and also several children’s fiction books with accompanying teacher guides.
The original director of the Press was Kip Anastasiou, who often served as the editor or even co-author of the books. The second director, Catherine Edwards, began circa 1990. She also served as an editor of the books produced by PEP. Edwards retired in 2014 and the Press is now under the direction of Susan Howell. The Press has remained small throughout its history, as of 2014 employing only about 10 full-time employees.

Parnall, John A.E.

  • Person
  • 1914-1992

John Parnall completed his B.A. (1935) and B.Ed (1949) at the University of British Columbia and an M.A. at the University of Toronto. After serving as Associate Registrar and lecturer in the Department of Mathematics, Parnall became Registrar in 1957 and held that position until 1980.

Peterat, Linda

  • Person
  • [ca. 1950- ]

Linda Peterat holds a B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Ed., and Ph.D. in Curriculum Studies from the University of Alberta. Prior to coming to UBC she taught home economics in both junior and senior high schools. At UBC she directed the home economics teacher education program and graduate programs at UBC and taught graduate courses in curriculum studies and research methodologies. At the end of her career at UBC she pursued her interest in researching food as it relates to home economics. The research led her to become the co-creator of the Intergenerational Landed Learning Project in 2002 and its co-director until 2007. Following her retirement in 2006 she moved to Vernon BC, where she directs an Intergenerational Landed Learning Program in the Xerindipity Garden at the Okanagan Science Centre and is a Program Developer for the Okanagan Science Centre, Vernon.

Presbyterian Church in Canada. Woman's Missionary Society. British Columbia Synod Branch

  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1925

The Presbyterian Woman's Missionary Society, nationally organized with a few auxiliaries in B.C., was originally concerned with foreign missions. Both native Indian and Chinese work in B.C. (as they were known at the time) were included as foreign. As an outgrowth of the committee, which supported the Atlin Hospital, a new organization emerged in 1903: the Woman's Home Missionary Society. In 1914, the two societies were united nationally as the Woman's Missionary Society and a provincial synod branch was organized. In addition to its support for the Atlin Hospital and a hospital at Telegraph Creek, it took special interest in the Loggers' Mission. Support was also give to Indian Residential and Day Schools at Alberni, Ahousaht, and Ucluelet. After church union in 1925, the society was merged into the Woman's Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada.

Pretious, Edward Sinclair

  • Person
  • [1904- ]

Edward S. Pretious was born in Calcutta, India. He obtained his B.A.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of British Columbia (1929) and M.Sc. in Hydraulics from Iowa State University (1939). He joined the Department of Civil Engineering at UBC in 1940, remaining there until his retirement in the early 1970s. Interested in hydraulic engineering and research projects relating to fish conservation in B.C., Pretious headed the Fraser River Model Project (1948-1961) and the Vancouver Harbour and Burrard Inlet Model Project (1953-1956). The Fraser River Model Project was designed to help improve navigation on the Fraser River Estuary. Located on a three-acre site on the western edge of the Point Grey campus, the project was a hydraulic, erodible-bed, tidal river model and one of the largest in the world. The Vancouver Harbour - Burrard Inlet Project had the primary objective of determining the effects on currents, tides, and navigation of proposed dredging in the First Narrows. A pilot model of the First Narrows was built by the National Research Council of Canada, in cooperation with UBC, on the site of the Fraser River Model, near the Arboretum.

Ralston, Keith

  • Person
  • 1921-2009

Harry Keith Ralston was born in Victoria, B.C. on 3 September 1921. Graduating from Victoria High School in 1938, he earned the Royal Institution Scholarship for Victoria District. He then attended Victoria College and the University of British Columbia, receiving his BA in 1942 with 1st Class Honours in History. Ralston entered the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1942 – beginning as an Ordinary Seaman, he worked his way up the ranks to Lieutenant, and served on the Atlantic Coast, before being discharged in 1945. He was the legislative correspondent for the left-wing weekly "Pacific Tribune" from 1952 to 1955, and also wrote for "The Fisherman" and other labour periodicals – he was a life-long supporter of socialist and labour causes. Turning to teaching, Ralston entered the Vancouver Normal School, graduating in 1956 “with distinction”, in the top ten among 500 graduates. He taught at Templeton High School in East Vancouver from 1956 to 1960. In 1960 he was hired as the first curator of the Vancouver Maritime Museum, where he assembled its original collections and mounted the first exhibits. Returning to UBC, he completed his MA in History in 1965; his dissertation was entitled "The 1900 strike of Fraser River sockeye salmon fishermen". He joined the the UBC Department of History in 1967. His teaching focussed on the history of British Columbia and the Canadian West. Ralston retired in 1986 with the rank of Assistant Professor, although he continued to write and conduct research. He published articles on B.C. and labour history in "B.C. Studies" and "The Beaver", as well as a number of articles for the "Dictionary of Canadian Biography". He died 20 June 2009.

Read, Frank

  • Person
  • 1911-1994

Frank Read was born on March 1, 1911. In the early 1930s, he became an accomplished oarsman with the Vancouver Rowing Club. Following a back injury, suffered while playing football, that ended his rowing career, he went into the hotel industry. In late 1949, Read agreed to coach the University of British Columbia rowing team which, at the same time, began a formal co-operation with the Vancouver Rowing Club. In recognition of both institutions, it was decided to call these new members "VRC/UBC" oarsmen. Despite very limited resources for UBC’s fledging rowing program, Read focussed on the importance of training and conditioning and instilling in his athletes dedication to the sport.
His intensive training program soon produced results. Competing against other top Canadian teams to represent the country at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, the UBC team was beaten by the Toronto Argonaut club. Two years later, Read’s eight-oared crew represented Canada at the 1954 British Empire Games in Vancouver. There the team won Canada’s first ever gold medal for the eights. The following year, invited by the Duke of Edinburgh to compete against the world’s best at the Henley Regatta in England, the students scored an upset victory over the world champion Russians in the semi-finals, and finished second to the U.S. team in the finals. In 1956 Read lead his rowing teams to the Melbourne Olympics where the coxless four won a gold medal and the eights came a very close second to capture a silver medal – these were the first Olympic medals won by Canada in rowing.
After a brief retirement (1957-60) Read returned to coach the rowing team at the 1960 Rome Olympics. That year, his eights finished second, earning Canada’s only medal at the games. Following the Olympics, Read once again retired, bringing to a close an important era in this country’s rowing history.
Read was also a mentor to those who followed him as rowing coaches. During his first retirement, John Warren coached the UBC team which represented Canada at the 1958 Empire Games in Cardiff, Wales, winning a gold and two silver medals (in the eights, fours, and coxless fours, respectively). Two others, Wayne Pretty and Glen Mervyn, were on the coaching staff for Canada’s rowing teams at the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo (resulting in one gold medal in the pairs) and the 1967 Pan American Games in Winnipeg.
John Carver in "The Vancouver Rowing Club: A History, 1886-1980" offered the following assessment of Frank Read’s accomplishments:
Starting with almost nothing, operating on the most meagre budgets. he took his crews to the top international competition and, incidentally put himself among the top rowing coaches in the world. He had the drive, and the patience to stand the rugged twice daily grind in all kinds of weather; he demanded discipline and condition, and got them, and he had the
knowledge and knew how to impart it to his crews. He will say to himself that it is the horses in the boats that win races and of course he is right. But no sport demands more coaching than crew rowing and Read supplied it beyond measure.
Frank Read died in Vancouver in 1994.

Reid, Philip Edward

  • Person
  • 1936-

Philip Edward Reid was born on January 29, 1936 in Westcliff-on-sea, Essex, England. Reid obtained a BSc Honours in biological chemistry in 1957 from the University of Bristol in England. In 1959, he received a MSc in chemistry from Queen's University in Kingston Ontario, which was followed with a PhD in chemistry in 1924. Reid's main research focus was the correlative chemical and histochemical studies of the epithelial glycoproteins of the normal and diseased large and small intestine, and the development of new histochemical procedures for the examination of epithelial glycoproteins. His teaching career expanded over thirty years. In 1964 he began teaching as a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Chemistry at UBC. In 1966, Reid became Assistant Professor and MRC Scholar for the Department of Pathology. During his tenure he held many titles in the Department of Pathology, from Assistant Professor (1966-1983) to Professor (1983-1993) to Acting Head (1992-1993). He is best known as the coordinator for the distance format Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLSc) degree program, as well as course coordinator for Pathology 300, 404, 405, and 438. Other titles that Reid has held over his career include: founder member for the Mucin Club, member of the UBC Graduate Council and Executive Committee Graduate Council, member of the curriculum committee, to name a few. In 1993, Reid was appointed as honorary member of the BCSMT.

Ricou, Laurence R., 1944-

  • Person
  • 1944-

Laurence "Laurie" R. Ricou was born in Brandon Manitoba on October 17, 1944 and earned his B.A. at the University of Manitoba in 1965. He moved to the University of Toronto where he earned his MA in 1957 and Ph.D. in 1971. Ricou then went to the University of Lethbridge where he taught English for eight years beginning in 1970. While at Lethbridge he became a specialist on Canadian Prairie regionalism and prairie writing. In 1978 he moved to Vancouver and joined UBC's Department of English. Ricou has written or co-authored a number of books including "The Arbutus/Madrone Files: Reading the Pacific Northwest" (2002), "A Field Guide to Dungeness Spit" (1997), "Everyday Magic: Child Languages in Canadian Literature" (1991), and "Vertical Man/Horizontal World: Man and Landscape in Canadian Prairie Fiction" (1973). He has also contributed numerous journal articles, conference papers and chapters for books.

Riddehough, Geoffrey B.

  • Person
  • 1900-1978

Geoffrey Blundell Riddehough was born on March 18, 1900, in Bramhall, Cheshire, England. Educated in Penticton, B.C., he went on to become a UBC Fairview graduate, earning a first class honours B.A. (1924) in Latin and English in addition to being awarded the Governor Generalʹs gold medal as head of his graduating class. Riddehough obtained his M.A. in English from the University of California, Berkeley (1925). After teaching in the English Department at the University of Alberta for several years on a contract basis, the Nichol Scholarship enabled Riddehough to pursue his studies and research interests in London and at La Sorbonne in Paris (1929‐1932). Returning to Canada in the autumn of 1932, he set aside his PhD. studies at the University of Toronto to become a classics instructor at UBC. Riddehough joined the UBC faculty in 1933 and remained a member of the Department of Classics for the next thirty‐eight years. While at UBC, he continued to pursue his education, obtaining a M.A. (1939) in classics and a Ph.D. from Harvard (1951) with a thesis on the medieval poet Joseph of Exeter. While studying at Harvard, his dissertation essay ʺDe Medeae In Iasonem Odioʺ won the Bowdoin Latin Prize (1950). At UBC, Riddehough specialized in Medieval Latin and was noted for his satirical verse.
Riddehough was a prolific writer and a number of his essays, poems, and short stories were published in a variety of journals and newspapers. Two of his better known works were his collection of verse, Dance to the Anthill (1972) and the posthumously published Rueful Rhymes: The Satirical Verse of a Couple of Anti‐Bodies (1994) that was co‐authored by Geoffrey A. Spencer. Riddehough was familiar with several languages, including French and Cornish, as well as being versed in ancient Greek and Latin. An interest in the paranormal led Riddehough to participate in a Wicca witch‐naming ceremony on the Isle of Man. He wrote numerous short stories about his female witch persona, “Anaitis”, and the majority of the correspondence from Riddehough within the Pegeen Brennan and Doreen Nalos sous‐fonds are signed with the Anaitis symbol. Riddehough died suddenly on April 6, 1978, in London, England, while returning to Vancouver after a holiday in Malta.

Ridington, William Robin

  • Person
  • [ca. 1940- ]

William Ridington - also known as Robin Ridington - joined the Department of Anthropology and Sociology at UBC in 1968 after completing his Ph.D. at Harvard. Ridington began a study of the Beaver Indians in 1963 while an undergraduate majoring in archaeology at Harvard.

Slater, Ian

  • Person
  • 1941-

Ian Slater was born in Australia in 1941, and worked for the Australian navy, as a cipher clerk in that country’s Department of External Affairs, and as a defence officer for the Australian Joint Intelligence Bureau. After leaving Australia he became a marine geology technician with New Zealand’s Institute of Oceanography, and later with UBC’s Institute of Oceanography. In 1977 he earned his Ph.D. in political science. As an author and lecturer he has taught a wide variety of courses in the humanities.
Dr. Slater is the author of twenty-three adventure thrillers, including his best-selling "Firespill"; "Sea Gold"; "Air Glow Red"; "Storm"; "Deep Chill"; "Forbidden Zone"; "MacArthur Must Die"; "Showdown"; "Battle Front"; and "Manhunt". He is also the author of eleven books in his World War III series. His non-fiction book "Orwell: The Road To Airstrip One", a study of George Orwell’s social and political thought, has been acclaimed by publications from the Times Literary Supplement to the Washington Post. The latter wrote, “It is doubtful that any book provides a better foundation for a full understanding of Orwell’s unique and troubling vision.” ABC Book World states, "In Slater's revised version, his new preface contains a true story that Slater was part of and which is at once so moving about the power of one good, brave man and the power of literature to change events that it alone is worth the price of the book."
Dr. Slater also served as editor of the UBC academic quarterly "Pacific Affairs" from 1988 to 2002; has written book reviews for major North American newspapers; worked as a film critic; and written radio dramas and short stories for the CBC. He also wrote the screenplay for the National Film Board’s animated film, "Flash Point", based on his novel "Firespill".

Smedley, Geoffrey

  • Person
  • 1927-2018

Canadian sculptor Geoffrey Smedley was born in London, England in 1927, and studied at the Slade School of Fine Art, University College in London. He served in the British Army (1945-48) as a member of the Royal Engineers – his training as an engineer would influence his artistic career. Early in his career Smedley worked in the “constructivist tradition, and participated in two exhibitions with the Systems Group – the first organized by the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1972, and the second at The Design Activity International in 1974. His method later became intuitive, mathematical and site-specific. Subsequently he evolved from using specific landscape sites to the use of language, and also came to question the notions of light, time and memory in his sculpture. He first came to Canada as a visiting artist at Queen’s University in 1977, and the following year joined the faculty of the UBC Department of Fine Arts, where he remained until his retirement in 1992. After his retirement he continued to work at his studio on Gambier Island, B.C., where he lived with his wife Brigid.
As a sculptor Smedley combined disciplines such as mathematics and philosophy with accomplished craftsmanship, and his finished works often functioned as metaphors for language, time and memory. His sculptures were exhibited at more than sixty galleries in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, and can be found in various public collections, including The Arts Council of Great Britain, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the Canadian Centre for Architecture. His sculpture "Rowingbridge" was a centrepiece at Expo 86 in Vancouver. His 2001 work "Piero en tête / Meditations on Piero" (often referred-to in his working notes as “Piero’s Head”) explored the links between architecture and other disciplines, such as geometry, cosmology and human anatomy, centred on Piero della Francesca’s attempts to draw the mathematically ideal proportions of the human head. Another work completed in 2012, "Descartes’ Clown", is a sculpture-installation that is a philosophical reflection on the mechanization of man. Shortly before his death Smedley completed another work on Piero and his book "De Prospectiva Pingendi", a book entitled "Beneath Appearances".
Geoffrey Smedley died suddenly on Gambier Island on 9 May 2018.

Spaulding, John Gordon

  • Person
  • 1907-1996

John Gordon Spaulding earned a B.A. at Pomona College, California, and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley. After teaching at Stockton Junior College in California, he joined the UBC Department of English in 1946, where he remained on faculty until his retirement in 1972. His areas of scholarly interest included the history of literary criticism, Romantic poetry and prose, semantics, and the relationships between literary criticism and philosophy, science, and psychology.
While conducting research at the British Museum in 1961 Spaulding was using "The Preacher's Assistant", a catalogue of sermons presented and published in Great Britain, Ireland, and the American colonies in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, compiled by the Rev. John Cooke and published in 1783. Spaulding saw the possibility of gaining new insights into the political, social, and literary history of the period covered by the catalogue by correlating the entries in the first volume (the sermons) with the entries in the second volume (the authors), using then-new computer technology. By 1966 he had both volumes encoded on punch cards, and then spent the next 25 years correlating the two sets of records. An early print-out version was deposited at the Huntington Library in California in 1988. The final version was published in 1996, shortly after Spaulding's death, as "Pulpit Publications 1660-1782", in six volumes. As he wrote in the preface:
"By translating the data from Cooke's two volumes into six volumes it lays out the data in ways that make them accessible for purposes that Cooke did not have in mind. His catalogue of sermons is herein transformed from an Assistant to Preachers into an Assistant for Historians who wish to search out the vital relations between religion and literature, philosophy, science and politics in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries or, more generally, are making bibliographical, philological and economic studies concerning the period. The usefulness of the sermon catalogue in historical studies is enhanced by the fact that the data within the catalogue come close to being exhaustive in regard to certain aspects of the period and, in the form presented within the present edition, make some novel statistical studies quite possible."

Results 1 to 25 of 41