- VCCL F-35
- Corporate body
Showing 41 resultsauthority records
- VCCL 36
- Corporate body
- MS 145
- Corporate body
- 1908 - 1948
Tappen Valley School
When Charles Henry (Charlie) Brooke donated the land for Tappen Valley School he also ensured his children’s education. He had recently moved to Cardinal Ranch in Tappen October 31, 1914. His diaries document a list of activities. He started getting to know the community by personally circulating a petition for a school and, after a Mr. McArthur rescinded his offer of a site for the school, Brooke donated an acre of land himself. It was located on the Tappen Valley Road.
It is believed that, until the Tappen Valley School opened, Brooke took his children to the Tappen School on Bolton Road. On December 15, 1914 Brooke calculated an estimate for the cost of building a new school. A meeting was called and initially, one of the parents, a Mr. Fox, opted out of the project, wanting to send his children to Kault (Kualt) school.
An election of school trustees was held December 28, 1914. Three candidates are recorded in C.H. Brooke’s diaries. Fowler received 15 votes, Brooke 17 and Sweeten 12. It was agreed that all present were entitled to vote, including the women. When it was decided to include the votes of the women present, the meeting had to be quickly adjourned until Brooke could consult the Act. It appeared that women had the right to vote for School Trustees.
Local residents built the one–room school from hand–hewn logs and it was completed in 1915. Neighbours who helped build the school were listed in Charlie Brooke’s diaries: Moseley, Lee, T. Sweeten, G. Sweeten, Fowler, McDonald, S. Elliott, Blair, Gardiner, W. Rogers, C. Laingslow, Woolett, Eggleshaw, and Charlie Brooke.
Acting for the Trustees, Brooke negotiated with and hired Mrs. Eveleen Parker. In an exchange of telegraphs Mrs. Parker responded that she would come January 3rd.
The early teachers were:
• Mrs. Eveleen B. Parker from Revelstoke (~January to June 1915)
• Miss Stirling (August 1915 – December 1916)
• Miss Preston (January 1917 – December 1917). Miss Preston boarded with the Brooke family. Miss Preston may have taught at the Tappen Valley School until June 1918 but there is no surviving register for this year. She asked for a recommendation February 5, 1918.
• Miss E.A. Coles, September 1918 to 1921 (only a partial record has survived for 1921).
When, some years later, the Carlin School Parent Teachers’ Association compiled a cookbook as a fundraiser, Norma Surtees supplied information about the years she taught at the Tappen Valley School (1933–1935). She wrote that it was the teacher’s job to keep the school clean, light the fire, and carry water. The students under her charge were very co–operative and helpful. Older students would arrive at the school before her to get the fire going, and all the students did their share in keeping the school clean. Douglas Miller, a neighbour across the road, used to bring a bucket of water daily for the school children.
According to Allan Wilson, the school served the community of students until 1951, when Carlin Elementary School opened.
After the school was decommissioned the land it sat on was eventually purchased by the owners of a fuse plant in 1969. The old school log building was not required by the new owner, so arrangements were made for Keven Julian (Julian) Codd to move it across the road to his property, formerly Douglas Miller’s farm. The building was used for storage until it was accidently burned in a grass fire in 2010.
Carlin Siding School
The first location for Carlin Siding School was in a log building on land owned by (Thomas Alfred) Saintabin on Tappen–Notch Hill Road, east of the railway crossing where the trestle came across.
When the new school was opened in 1908, Josephine Bledsoe (nee Saintabin) was five. She was sent to school because there were not enough students to open the school. She remembers her first teacher was Miss Greenwood, followed by Carrie Peterson, May Johnson and then Miss Langlow (sic Langslow).
Miss Hilda Hutton was the next teacher, but resigned in December. The School Trustees hired a new teacher, Miss May Cecelia Rath and she and the students moved into a new building on Robert Gardiner’s farm. The old school remained on site and was used by Saintabin for storage.
The new school was also log and is well photographed. Moving the school operation closer to White Lake allowed the Finish children from that area to attend as well. It was only a four mile walk! By September 1913 attendance had jumped to 24 students from 17 in the previous year.
There are conflicting reports of when this move happened, but according to the Observer it was nearing completion in December 1912. In the 1913 register the teacher notes the attendance record on January 7th because the “School was not finished” the previous day. Three students transferred to Balmoral School – Dolf, Louise and Frank Oulette (Ouillette)– resulting in only a net increase of 6 new students. New students were Ernest and Minnie Maki, Vilju (Viljo) Mikkelson, Victor Robinson, Annie and Aile Harju.
The second location was below the present day Carlin Elementary Middle School, on the same side of the highway.
At some point the Gardiner property changed ownership and came into the hands of Joseph Rabie. When Rabie died in 1936, the property was divided amongst family members. Work on the highway further divided the Rabie property.
According to Allan Wilson, the log building served the community of students until 1951 when Carlin Elementary School was opened.
The Carlin Siding School was moved to Three Valley Gap, west of Revelstoke, in 1965.
Lee Creek School
Historically school children in Lee Creek had to leave the community for their education according to the North Shuswap Historical Society publication Shuswap Chronicles. They boarded nearby in Blind Bay and Sorrento for instruction but by 1918 there were enough school–aged children to form a school. Residents of Lee Creek lobbied the Department of Education and in May 1919 the School Inspector visited Lee Creek. He recommended that the catchment area for students be extended from the Adams River to Scotch Creek Indian Reserve to help the area qualify for a subsidy. $150 was granted to help with building expenses and Oliver Freeman, a bachelor, donated an acre of land by the lake for a site.
At a meeting of ratepayers on July 12, 1919 school trustees Mrs. Alex McKay, Bill Dempster, Ray Corning, and Bill McKay were elected.
A five hundred square foot school was built with lumber donated by Freeman. Carpenter Alex McKay designed and supervised the project with help from Ray Corning, Bill McKay, and James Lockerby. Emil De Portier and James Freeman helped cut a road to improve access to the site.
The school was opened in September and Winnifred Smythe of Revelstoke was hired to teach 12 students. The school also served as a community hall for political meetings, dances, parties, and church services.
The school closed for lack of students in 1928 when Barbara Wood and others moved to Kamloops for high school education. It opened again in 1934 for three years and Mrs. Spears was hired to teach. It was closed again until 1950, when it opened until 1954. Eventually school buses were used to take students to Celista and beyond for school.
According to author Jim Cooperman, the building became a garage for a time and fell into disrepair. It was torn down in the 1990s.
- Corporate body
Canadian sculptor Geoffrey Smedley was born in London, England in 1927, and studied at the Slade School of Fine Art, University College in London. He served in the British Army (1945-48) as a member of the Royal Engineers – his training as an engineer would influence his artistic career. Early in his career Smedley worked in the “constructivist tradition, and participated in two exhibitions with the Systems Group – the first organized by the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1972, and the second at The Design Activity International in 1974. His method later became intuitive, mathematical and site-specific. Subsequently he evolved from using specific landscape sites to the use of language, and also came to question the notions of light, time and memory in his sculpture. He first came to Canada as a visiting artist at Queen’s University in 1977, and the following year joined the faculty of the UBC Department of Fine Arts, where he remained until his retirement in 1992. After his retirement he continued to work at his studio on Gambier Island, B.C., where he lived with his wife Brigid.
As a sculptor Smedley combined disciplines such as mathematics and philosophy with accomplished craftsmanship, and his finished works often functioned as metaphors for language, time and memory. His sculptures were exhibited at more than sixty galleries in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, and can be found in various public collections, including The Arts Council of Great Britain, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the Canadian Centre for Architecture. His sculpture "Rowingbridge" was a centrepiece at Expo 86 in Vancouver. His 2001 work "Piero en tête / Meditations on Piero" (often referred-to in his working notes as “Piero’s Head”) explored the links between architecture and other disciplines, such as geometry, cosmology and human anatomy, centred on Piero della Francesca’s attempts to draw the mathematically ideal proportions of the human head. Another work completed in 2012, "Descartes’ Clown", is a sculpture-installation that is a philosophical reflection on the mechanization of man. Shortly before his death Smedley completed another work on Piero and his book "De Prospectiva Pingendi", a book entitled "Beneath Appearances".
Geoffrey Smedley died suddenly on Gambier Island on 9 May 2018.
James E. Thornton (b. 1927) received his MA (1967) and PhD (1972) in Adult Education from the University of Michigan. From 1969 until his retirement in 1992, Thornton taught in the Department of Administrative, Adult and Higher Education at the University of British Columbia. His research interests concern the impact of educational, social and economic programs on the development and well-being of the older adult. Current research interests are education for the third age: second careers, retirement, leisure activity, aging in the workforce, and life-span learning and education. At UBC Thornton introduced graduate course in educational gerontology and on aging themes. From 1980 to 1990, he served as co-ordinator for the Faculty of Graduate Studies Committee on Gerontology. The Committee encouraged teaching and research programs in faculties, schools and departments.
- Corporate body
While courses in women’s studies were first offered at the university in 1971, the degree-granting Women’s Studies Program in the Faculty of Arts began offering an undergraduate major in 1991. The program was an interdisciplinary field of study that drew upon the social sciences, humanities, research methods, theory, literature, and gender relations. Tannis MacBeth Williams was the program’s first chair.
Early faculty involved in the Women’s Studies Program were Dr. Dawn Currie, Dr. Valerie Raoul, Dr. Veronica Strong-Boag, Prof. Sneja Gunew, Dr. Sharalyn Orbaugh, Dr. Becki Ross, and Dr. Lenora Angeles. The Women’s Studies Program worked closely with the Centre for Research in Women’s Studies and Gender Relations (created in 1991 with a mandate to support research and develop links between local and international scholars, policy makers and activists). The Founding Director of CRWSGR was Veronica Strong-Boag. Graduate-level courses were first offered in the 1998-99 academic year, initially from within the Interdisciplinary Studies Programme in the Faculty of Graduate Studies. The CRWSGR began administering M.A. and PhD programs in Women’s Studies and Gender Relations in 2000-2001. It changed its name to the Centre for Women’s and Gender Studies (CWAGS) in 2006. In 2012, CWAGS and the Women’s and Gender Studies graduate and undergraduate programs merged to form the Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice, directed by Dr. Mary K. Bryson.
Philip Edward Reid was born on January 29, 1936 in Westcliff-on-sea, Essex, England. Reid obtained a BSc Honours in biological chemistry in 1957 from the University of Bristol in England. In 1959, he received a MSc in chemistry from Queen's University in Kingston Ontario, which was followed with a PhD in chemistry in 1924. Reid's main research focus was the correlative chemical and histochemical studies of the epithelial glycoproteins of the normal and diseased large and small intestine, and the development of new histochemical procedures for the examination of epithelial glycoproteins. His teaching career expanded over thirty years. In 1964 he began teaching as a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Chemistry at UBC. In 1966, Reid became Assistant Professor and MRC Scholar for the Department of Pathology. During his tenure he held many titles in the Department of Pathology, from Assistant Professor (1966-1983) to Professor (1983-1993) to Acting Head (1992-1993). He is best known as the coordinator for the distance format Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLSc) degree program, as well as course coordinator for Pathology 300, 404, 405, and 438. Other titles that Reid has held over his career include: founder member for the Mucin Club, member of the UBC Graduate Council and Executive Committee Graduate Council, member of the curriculum committee, to name a few. In 1993, Reid was appointed as honorary member of the BCSMT.
- [1904- ]
Edward S. Pretious was born in Calcutta, India. He obtained his B.A.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of British Columbia (1929) and M.Sc. in Hydraulics from Iowa State University (1939). He joined the Department of Civil Engineering at UBC in 1940, remaining there until his retirement in the early 1970s. Interested in hydraulic engineering and research projects relating to fish conservation in B.C., Pretious headed the Fraser River Model Project (1948-1961) and the Vancouver Harbour and Burrard Inlet Model Project (1953-1956). The Fraser River Model Project was designed to help improve navigation on the Fraser River Estuary. Located on a three-acre site on the western edge of the Point Grey campus, the project was a hydraulic, erodible-bed, tidal river model and one of the largest in the world. The Vancouver Harbour - Burrard Inlet Project had the primary objective of determining the effects on currents, tides, and navigation of proposed dredging in the First Narrows. A pilot model of the First Narrows was built by the National Research Council of Canada, in cooperation with UBC, on the site of the Fraser River Model, near the Arboretum.
- Corporate body
The Department of Physics was one of the original departments within the Faculty of Arts and Science when UBC was established in 1915, and has been in continuous existence since then. It was included in the Faculty of Science when it split from Arts in 1964. The Department was housed with the other science departments at Fairview Campus, and in the Science (now Chemistry) Building at Point Grey, until the Hennings Building was completed in 1947. The Department went through a period of significant expansion during the Second World War related to the research activities carried out by its member for the government, and it remains today one of the University's largest academic departments. Laboratory work has been an integral part of the curriculum of the Department of Physics since its beginning, and the Department has issued manuals for use by students since the 1940's.
John Parnall completed his B.A. (1935) and B.Ed (1949) at the University of British Columbia and an M.A. at the University of Toronto. After serving as Associate Registrar and lecturer in the Department of Mathematics, Parnall became Registrar in 1957 and held that position until 1980.
Dr. Richard Mattessich was born in 1922 in Trieste, Italy, and grew up and went to school in Vienna, Austria. He obtained his degree in mechanical engineering in 1940, and his MBA in 1944 and a doctorate in economics in 1945 from the Vienna School of Economics and Business Administration. He was a research fellow of the Austrian Institute of Economic Research, and an instructor at the Rosenberg Institute of St. Gallen, Switzerland. In 1952 he moved to Canada, and was appointed Head of the Department of Commerce at Mount Allison University (1953-59). From 1959 to 1967 he was Associate Professor of Accounting at the University of California, Berkeley. Beginning in 1967 he was Professor of Accounting at the University of British Columbia, holding the distinguished Arthur Andersen & Co. Chair. He retired in 1987, and the following year was named emeritus professor. He has also held visiting professorships in Berlin, Christchurch (New Zealand), Graz (Austria), Hong Kong, Parma (Italy), St. Gallen, and Tokyo.
Perhaps best-known for introducing the concept of electronic spreadsheets into the field of business accounting, Mattessich has also pioneered the use of analytical and philosophical methods in accounting research. He has numerous publications to his credit, both books and articles, some of which have been translated into French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. His best-known books are Accounting and Analytical Methods (1964); Simulation of the Firm Through a Budget Computer Program (1964), which introduced the concept of computerized spreadsheets; Instrumental Reasoning and Systems Methodology – An epistemology of the applied and social sciences (1978); Two Hundred Years of Accounting Research (2009); and Reality and Accounting – Ontological explorations in the economic and social sciences (2013). He also edited two anthologies: Modern Accounting Research: History, Survey, and Guide (1984), and Accounting Research in the 1980s and its Future Relevance (1991).
Mattessich has been awarded honorary degrees from Complutense University of Madrid (1998), the University of Malaga, Spain (2006), Montesquieu University in Bordeaux, France (2006), and the University of Graz, Austria (2007). He is also an honorary life member of the Academy of Accounting Historians, and has received a number of other honorary appointments and honours. He has served on the governing boards of the School of Chartered Accountancy of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia and the CGA-Canada Research Foundation, and has been on the editorial boards of several professional journals.
Dr. Lawrence E. Lowe (March 29, 1933 – June 17, 2016) was a faculty member in the Department of Soil Science in the UBC Faculty of Agricultural Sciences (now Land and Food Systems). Born in Toronto and educated in England, Lowe attended Oxford University (B.A. 1954, M.A. 1958). He went on to graduate work at Macdonald College, McGill University (M.Sc. 1960, Ph.D. 1963). He joined UBC as an assistant professor in 1966, after a period of soil survey and soil research work in Alberta. A specialist in the field of soil chemistry, Lowe’s research focused on soil organic matter. He was promoted to associate professor in 1970, and professor in 1975. As Associate Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences from 1985 to 1991 Lowe held responsibilities for student counselling, admissions, records, and curriculum matters, as well as continuing to teach. He retired as professor emeritus in 1994.
Sharon Elaine Kahn was born in Kansas City, Missouri, USA in 1946. She received postsecondary degrees from Washington University, St. Louis (BA English Literature 1968), Boston University (Med Counselling and Guidance 1969), and Arizona State University (PhD Counselling Psychology 1975). In 1975, Kahn accepted a faculty position in the Department of Counselling Psychology at the University of British Columbia, where she earned tenure and was promoted to full professor. Kahn concentrated her research on counselling theory, gender-fair practices, and women’s career issues. Her scholarly activities included two edited books, seven book chapters, more than twenty-five refereed articles, as well as numerous conference presentations and research reports.
In 1989, Kahn became UBC’s first Director of Employment Equity, and in 1994, she was appointed UBC’s first Associate Vice President, Equity, responsible for administering the University’s employment and educational equity programs and for its handling complaints of discrimination and harassment. Under her direction, UBC received two Certificates of Merit from the federal government for special achievement in implementing an employment equity work plan and maintaining a representative workforce. In 1997, Human Resources Development Canada awarded the University its Vision Award for the excellence of its employment equity program. In 2006, Kahn became UBC’s first Academic Leadership Coach, a position that supports the University’s senior leadership. Kahn retired from UBC in 2013.
In 1986, Kahn married Thomas Edgar Blom, a professor of English literature at the University of British Columbia. Professor Blom died in 2003. In 2015, Kahn married Barrie James MacFadden, a retired Vancouver elementary school teacher.
- [fl. 1966-1976]
Barbara Gibson was a faculty member of the University of British Columbia’s School of Librarianship (later the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, now the iSchool). She was also a UBC’s graduate of the Class of ’35, and left in 1936 to pursue a career in nursing.
In 1966 and 1967, Woodward Library acquired the Sister Mary Gonzaga letters, which came together with a collection of Florence Nightingale letters, from Goodspeed Dealers in Boston. These letters were later transferred to Rare Books and Special Collections in 2013. At the time of the acquisition, Gibson became interested in the life of Sister Mary Gonzaga, a Canadian nurse, born in 1825, who spent most of her life in Britain. During the following years, Gibson compiled research materials from various other sources, mostly from the United Kingdom, in order to write a biography of Sister Mary Gonzaga.
- Corporate body
St. John’s College UBC is a graduate residential college for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and visiting scholars from around the world who study and teach at the University of British Columbia. St. John’s College was founded in 1997 by a joint venture agreement between The Johanneans’ Educational Foundation and UBC in memory of the original St. John’s University, which was once one of China’s most prestigious and influential universities before the institution was forcibly closed down in 1952 following the successful communist revolution. Symbolically, the College is next to the Pacific Ocean facing Asia. The first Principle of the new St. John’s College, Grant Ingram, took office in August 1997. St. John’s College seeks to inspire a global vision and foster a spirit of community among its residents and alumni through multicultural education, intercultural understanding and international exchange. The College is committed to enriching the intercultural and cultural life of the University, as well as welcoming and engaging with off-campus communities. It strives to embody the traditions of academic excellence and public service inherited from its founders, the alumni of St. John’s University Shanghai.
St. John's University was established in 1879 as “St. John’s College” by Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky, the Anglican Bishop of Shanghai, by combining two preexisting Anglican colleges. In 1879, St. John's began with teaching 39 students mainly in Chinese. Subsequently, more college courses were offered. In 1896, St. John's was reformed; and in 1905, it was granted university status and started to confer bachelor's degrees. Gradually, the number of registered students started to expand and various schools were established, including arts, science, medicine, and theology. In 1913, a graduate level school was founded. The university began to accept female students in 1936. St. John's University was one of the 14 renowned
universities established in China before the founding of the People’s Republic of China. Up until 1947, the university was approved to register with the then Chinese government. St. John's combined with three other schools -- Shanghai University, Soo Chow University and Hangchow Christian College – and formed Shanghai United Christian University on August 13, 1937. St. John's University gained an international reputation as one of the most prestigious universities in China. The university was famously known as "the cradle of diplomats in China" or even "Harvard in the Far East." St. John's became independent from the American Anglican Church in 1952. In the same year, the Ministry of Education in China reconstructed the departments and faculties of St. John's University. The journalism program was incorporated into Fudan University, architecture into Tongji University, economics into the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, politics into the East China University of Politics and Law, Chinese language and culture into East China Normal University, and the medical school into Shanghai No. 2 Medical University, which became the School of Medicine at Shanghai Jiaotong University in 2005. Thus, St. John’sUniversity became history. The initial English motto of St. John's is "Light and Truth." However, the Chinese motto, originated from Confucius, is "Learning without thinking is labor lost, thinking without learning is perilous." Both mottos are incorporated into the emblem of the former university.
During the first world reunion of St. John’s alumni – or Johanneans – in 1988, they promised to uphold the spirit of St. John's by starting new educational enterprises, and, if possible, restore St. John’s University, their alma mater. Therefore, this vision led to the founding of the Xinpu Institute of Technology in Taiwan, subsequently renamed as St. John's University of Science and Technology, which gradually become a comprehensive university. This view also motivated the establishment of St. John's College at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver in 1997. The Johanneans continue to contribute to society from all walks of life.
- Corporate body
The UBC Office of Research Services was established in 1977 as Research Administration. Prior to its establishment, the President’s Office oversaw the administration of research activities for the University. In 1983 Research Administration changed its name to Research Services. In 1986 it became Research Services and Industry Liaison. In 1992 it changed its name back to Research Services. Throughout this time Richard D. Spratley managed its activities. In 1983, when Research Administration changed its name, Spratley’s position as Research Administrator was re-named Director.
The Office administers grants and grant programs for the University. A number of separate committees are responsible for administering grant programs and overseeing different types of research. The Human Ethics Committee oversees ethical review procedures for research involving humans. The Animal Care Committee approves research involving animals, while ensuring that animal care guidelines were met. The Biosafety Committee reviews and approves research involving bio-hazardous materials, and also sets safety standards.
Dr. H. Peter Oberlander was a Canadian architect and Canada’s first professor of urban and regional planning. H. Peter Oberlander enjoyed four decades of teaching, research and public service in Canada during which he became the founding Director of the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning, the founding Director of the Centre for Human Settlements, and Member of the Order of Canada.
Professor Heinz Peter Oberlander, OC, PhD FRAIC LLD (HON), was born in Vienna, Austria on November 29, 1922. He emigrated with his family to Canada in 1940 to escape Nazi occupied Europe and earned a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1945 at the School of Architecture at McGill University. H. Peter Oberlander became the first Canadian to earn a Master of City of Planning degree from Harvard’s Graduate School of Design in 1947 and subsequently in 1957 became the first Canadian to obtain a Doctorate in Regional Planning from Harvard.
After graduation from Harvard, H. Peter Oberlander worked first in England, before returning to Canada in July 1948 to work for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s Department of Research and Education. There he wrote a brief to the Massey Commission on the need for federal government fellowship support of the arts and sciences. The brief prompted then UBC President, Dr. Norman MacKenzie, to ask H. Peter Oberlander to launch Canada’s first professional program in Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) which was established in 1954. H. Peter Oberlander became the founding Director of the UBC School of Community and Regional Planning, and subsequently founding Director of the Centre for Human Settlements, devoted to planning research. From 1995 he served as Adjunct Professor in Political Science at Simon Fraser University and was concurrently UBC Professor Emeritus in Community and Regional Planning until his death.
H. Peter Oberlander’s commitment to public service work in British Columbia and Canada included being the co-founder of the Lower Mainland Regional Planning Board in 1949 and Chair of Vancouver’s Town Planning Commission in 1967 until he resigned in opposition to the city’s ill-fated freeway plans for Downtown Vancouver. In 1970, Oberlander served at the federal level for three years as the inaugural Secretary (Deputy Minister) of the newly established Federal Ministry of State for Urban Affairs. During his three-year tenure he created a process of tri-level consultation on urban development among federal/provincial/municipal governments for the planned re-use of redundant federal lands for local community needs. These areas included Vancouver’s Granville Island and Toronto’s Harbourfront. Between 1998 and 2008, Oberlander also served as a Federal Citizenship Court Judge.
Peter Oberlander’s international public service began in 1952 with work on a three-member team assembled by the United Nation’s Centre for Housing, Building and Planning in New York. In 1958 he was asked by the UN to assist Ghana in developing a national housing policy and later in 1976, he created the UBC Centre for Human Settlements which served as a depository for audio-visual materials from the 1976 UN Conference on Human Settlements (Habitat I). Between 1980 and 1990 Oberlander served on the Canadian delegations to the annual meetings of the UN Commission on Human Settlements in Nairobi, Kenya. In 1996 he was appointed Special Assistant to Dr. Wally N’Dow, Secretary-General for the Habitat II conference in Istanbul, Turkey. In the early years of the new millennium, Oberlander became instrumental in securing Vancouver, BC as the location for the 2006 UN-Habitat World Urban Forum (WUF 3).
Professionally, in the 1960s, Peter Oberlander worked extensively with Thompson, Berwick and Pratt, an architectural and planning firm in Vancouver. During the 1990s Oberlander maintained his professional involvement as Associate Partner with Downs/Archambault and Partners (now DA Architects & Planners) in Vancouver.
Peter Oberlander's many awards included an Honorary Doctorate from UBC in 1998, the President’s Lifetime Achievement Award of the Canadian Institute of Planners at its inaugural presentation in 2006, a Civic Merit Award from the City of Vancouver in 2008 and posthumously, the United Nations Scroll of Honour Award on World Habitat Day, October 4, 2009, for his work and dedication in improving global urban living conditions.
Peter Oberlander married architect and fellow Member of the Order of Canada, Cornelia Hahn, in 1953. They collaborated extensively on professional projects throughout their marriage until his death on December 27, 2008.
- Corporate body
Pacific Educational Press (PEP) is the publishing house of the Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia. PEP publishes educational books and media resources, including textbooks and supplementary resources for schools, scholarly books for education specialists, textbooks for teacher education programs, and professional resources for practicing teachers. The Press was founded in 1971 as the Vancouver Environment Education Group (VEEP). In its early years VEEP focused on providing resources for elementary school teachers, focussing primarily on environmental education. In 1974 it changed its name to Western Education Development Group – abbreviated to WEDG, and later, WEDGE, only retaining its full name in the copyright information of its books. WEDGE expanded the range of subjects of its publications, and a number of series were produced in conjunction with other organizations during this period. The final name change to Pacific Educational Press occurred in 1987. PEP began producing textbooks for both the K-12 market and for teacher education courses. In addition, the Press has published a number of supplemental resources for teachers, and also several children’s fiction books with accompanying teacher guides.
The original director of the Press was Kip Anastasiou, who often served as the editor or even co-author of the books. The second director, Catherine Edwards, began circa 1990. She also served as an editor of the books produced by PEP. Edwards retired in 2014 and the Press is now under the direction of Susan Howell. The Press has remained small throughout its history, as of 2014 employing only about 10 full-time employees.
John MacKenzie Norris (1925-2010) was born on March 3, 1925 in Kelowna, B.C. to Jean Mary Norris (née) Denovan and Thomas Grantham Norris. At the time of his birth, his father, T.G. Norris, was practicing as a lawyer in Kelowna and subsequently served as a judge on both the British Columbia Supreme Court and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. John Norris had an older sister and a younger brother, attended elementary schools in Kelowna and Vancouver, and graduated from Lord Byng Secondary School in Vancouver. He enlisted with the Royal Navy in 1943 and, after returning, attended UBC from 1946-1949 where he obtained both a Bachelor of Arts Degree (1948) and a Master of Arts Degree (1949). At UBC he met Barbara Violet Casey whom he married in 1947. They had one son, Thomas Norris. John Norris pursued additional graduate work at Northwestern University, obtaining his Ph.D. in 1955, and post-graduate studies at the London School of Economics.
In 1953, John Norris began teaching as an instructor within the Department of History at the University of British Columbia and in 1964 became a Professor of the Department of History. He published five books and numerous articles in the areas of administrative, economic and demographic history. During the 1970s, he began to change his academic focus towards the history of medicine and over the next few decades he specialized in the study of the history of various diseases, including plague, cholera, and scurvy.
In 1980, John Norris was appointed Professor and Director of the Division of the History of Medicine and Science at UBC. He continued to serve in this role until his retirement early in 1990 when he was extended the title of Professor Emeritus in the History of Medicine. He continued to teach on a part-time basis until at least 2004.
Norris served on many boards and committees, including acting as the Chair of the Osler Medal Committee of the American Association for the History of Medicine (1978-1979); as Chair of the Programme Committee of the Canadian Society for the History of Medicine (1983); and as the Chair of the Grants Committee of the Hannah Institute for the History of Medicine (1980). At UBC, he served in such capacities as Chairman, University Curriculum Committee, UBC (1968-1974); as a Member of the University Senate (1964-1974); and as Chairman of the University Grievance Committee (1968-1969). He held an American Council of Learned Societies Graduate Fellowship, 1951-3, a Nuffield Commonwealth Fellowship, 1961-1962, a Canada Council Senior Fellowship, 1967-1968; and a Killam Senior Research Scholarship, from 1975-1976.
John Norris was an active member in politics, first in the C.C.F., and subsequently of the N.D.P. In 1963, he unsuccessfully ran to be N.D.P. representative for Vancouver Centre during the British Columbia Provincial election.
John Norris died on May 2, 2010. At the time of his death, he was working on a history of cholera.
- Corporate body
In response to the growing need for professional librarians in Western Canada and with strong support from UBC President Norman MacKenzie and University Librarian Neal Harlow, the School of Librarianship was established at UBC by Samuel Rothstein in 1961. Housed in the upper north wing of the UBC Main Library, the School operated as a professional school within the Faculty of Arts and Science and opened with an enrolment of 30 students and four full-time faculty members. In May 1962, the School graduated its first class of Bachelors of Library Science (BLS). In February 1963, the School's program was accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of the American Library Association (ALA). ALA accreditation allowed the American and Canadian Library Associations to recognize the School as fully meeting the accepted standards for graduate education in library and information science and enabled the School's BLS graduates to seek employment in Canadian and American libraries. In order to incorporate new technologies into the curriculum and prepare students better for their professional careers as information specialists, the School replaced the one-year postgraduate BLS program with a two-year program leading to the degree of Master of Library Science (MLS) in 1971. The School's MLS program was later re-accredited by ALA in 1976, 1985, 1992, and 1998. In 1981, in conjunction with the Department of History, the School offered a two-year program in Archival Studies leading to the degree of Master of Archival Studies (MAS), the first graduate program in archival studies in North America. The first Archival class comprised eight students and one full-time faculty member.
In 1984, the School changed its name from the School of Librarianship to the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies (SLAIS). In 1990, both the MLS and MAS programs were made subject to the academic policies of Faculty of Graduate Studies but the School remained within the administrative jurisdiction of the Faculty of Arts. In 1995, the School graduated the first students with the newly re-named Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS). In 1998, the School initiated a Joint MAS/MLIS program and a First Nations concentration in the MLIS and MAS programs. In 1999, the School offered a multidisciplinary Master of Arts in Children's Literature program (MACL) in conjunction with the Departments of English, Language and Literacy Education and Theatre, Film and Creative Writing. In response to the educational needs of already working professional librarians and archivists, the School also offered a continuing education program leading to the Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS). In September 2003, the School admitted six students to its inaugural Ph.D. program in Library, Archival and Information Studies. In 2020 the School's name was changed again to the School of Information, to reflect the evolution of the information professions and changes within the disciplinary areas of library, archival and information studies.
Since 1961, the Directors of the School include: Samuel Rothstein (1961-1970), Roy Stokes (1970-1981), Basil Stuart-Stubbs (1981-1992), Ken Haycock (1992-2002), Edie Rasmussen (2003-2009), and Caroline Haythornthwaite (2010- ). Additional information about the School is available through their website www.slais.ubc.ca.
- Corporate body
The UBC Learning Exchange was established in 1999 to establish a community presence for the University in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (DTES). The first initiative of the Learning Exchange was the Trek Program (named after UBC’s Trek 2000 vision) which placed UBC student volunteers with eight non-profit organizations and two elementary schools. In 2000 the Learning Exchange opened a storefront office at 121 Main Street, offering free computer access to DTES residents. Other programmes followed, including a music appreciation course offered in partnership with the UBC School of Music; volunteer opportunities catering to students during Reading Week; ESL conversation programmes; and computer training, tutoring, and after-school activities, in which the Vancouver School Board was the major partner. Funding and support came from various sources outside the University, including TELUS, HSBC Bank of Canada, the Kahanoff Foundation, the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation, and Dr. Lloyd and Mrs. Kay Chapman. Beginning in 2002 the Learning Exchange began working with UBC faculty members to formally integrate students’ community-based experiences into their academic coursework, an approach called Community Service Learning (CSL). A new Learning Exchange programme was established at UBC- Okanagan in 2006. Two years later, the Vancouver programme moved into a larger storefront office in Chinatown. In 2009, in support of the Learning Exchange's contributions to UBC’s strategic vision, the University began providing on-going core funding.
The Learning Exchange worked in parallel with the UBC Community Learning Initiative (CLI), founded in 2006 to develop curricular community-engaged learning opportunities. There was a great deal of overlap between the two programmes, and they initially reported to the same Director, Margo Fryer. In 2011 the Learning Exchange and CLI were separated into two distinct units, each with its own director, with the Learning Exchange reporting to the Vice-President, External Relations.
- [ca. 1950- ]
Eva-Marie Kröller was born in Germany, and earned her undergraduate degree (Staatsexamen) at the University of Freiburg, and her Ph.D. in comparative literature at the University of Alberta. Following appointments as sessional lecturer, SSHRC postdoctoral fellow, and visiting professor at UBC's Department of English between 1978 and 1983, she joined the Department in 1984 as an assistant professor; she was promoted to associate professor in 1987, and to professor in 1993. She specializes in comparative Canadian and European literature, with an emphasis on travel writing, literary history and cultural semiotics. She was chair of the comparative literature programme at UBC from 1990 to 1995, and served as editor of Canadian Literature from 1995 to 2003, for which she won the 2004 Distinguished Editor Award from the Council of Editors of Learned Journals. Professor Kröller has been appointed an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (1987-88), a Killam Faculty Research Fellow (2009), and Visiting Professor at the John F. Kennedy Institute, Free University of Berlin (1992), and at the Nordamerikaprogramm, University of Bonn (2001). She was elected to the Royal Society of Canada in 2007. She has also won several UBC awards: the Killam Research Prize (1995), the Killam Teaching Prize (1999), and the Dean of Arts Award (2002).
Ian Slater was born in Australia in 1941, and worked for the Australian navy, as a cipher clerk in that country’s Department of External Affairs, and as a defence officer for the Australian Joint Intelligence Bureau. After leaving Australia he became a marine geology technician with New Zealand’s Institute of Oceanography, and later with UBC’s Institute of Oceanography. In 1977 he earned his Ph.D. in political science. As an author and lecturer he has taught a wide variety of courses in the humanities.
Dr. Slater is the author of twenty-three adventure thrillers, including his best-selling "Firespill"; "Sea Gold"; "Air Glow Red"; "Storm"; "Deep Chill"; "Forbidden Zone"; "MacArthur Must Die"; "Showdown"; "Battle Front"; and "Manhunt". He is also the author of eleven books in his World War III series. His non-fiction book "Orwell: The Road To Airstrip One", a study of George Orwell’s social and political thought, has been acclaimed by publications from the Times Literary Supplement to the Washington Post. The latter wrote, “It is doubtful that any book provides a better foundation for a full understanding of Orwell’s unique and troubling vision.” ABC Book World states, "In Slater's revised version, his new preface contains a true story that Slater was part of and which is at once so moving about the power of one good, brave man and the power of literature to change events that it alone is worth the price of the book."
Dr. Slater also served as editor of the UBC academic quarterly "Pacific Affairs" from 1988 to 2002; has written book reviews for major North American newspapers; worked as a film critic; and written radio dramas and short stories for the CBC. He also wrote the screenplay for the National Film Board’s animated film, "Flash Point", based on his novel "Firespill".
- [ca. 1950- ]
Linda Peterat holds a B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Ed., and Ph.D. in Curriculum Studies from the University of Alberta. Prior to coming to UBC she taught home economics in both junior and senior high schools. At UBC she directed the home economics teacher education program and graduate programs at UBC and taught graduate courses in curriculum studies and research methodologies. At the end of her career at UBC she pursued her interest in researching food as it relates to home economics. The research led her to become the co-creator of the Intergenerational Landed Learning Project in 2002 and its co-director until 2007. Following her retirement in 2006 she moved to Vernon BC, where she directs an Intergenerational Landed Learning Program in the Xerindipity Garden at the Okanagan Science Centre and is a Program Developer for the Okanagan Science Centre, Vernon.