Showing 20941 results

authority records

Kraus family

  • kraus_~1
  • Family
  • [189-]-

Kraus was the family name of Gerda Gottfried’s husband Hans, who brought to their 1947 marriage much of his family’s documentary history. He was the only child of Edmund and Irma Kraus (nee Mosauer). They were wealthy Ashkenazi Jews and were very integrated into Austrian society. Edmund, a highly educated man, served with distinction in the First World War as a doctor – he was commended by the Red Cross for his services – before returning to set up a successful dental practice. He died in the early 1930s before Hitler’s rise to power. His widow and son fled to Shanghai in 1938 or 1939, losing all their belongings and wealth in the journey; Hans met Gerda Gottfried there in 1945 and they married in 1947. Irma and Hans both emigrated to Vancouver in the late 1940s.

Gottfried family

  • gottf~1
  • Family
  • [189-]-

The Gottfrieds were an extended family of Ashkenazi Jews who lived in Vienna from the late nineteenth century until the late 1930s, when most members fled. The family patriarch was Menachem Mendel Gottfried, whose son Salomon Gottfried was born in what was then Poland (now Ukraine) in 1872 and moved to Vienna sometime before 1899, when his eldest son Leopold was born. Two daughters, Frieda and Sabine, followed. The documents in this collection pertain mostly to Leopold, his wife Chaje, their children and their children's spouses. Leopold (b. 1899; d. 1972), a successful businessman later in life, served in the Austro-Hungarian army in the First World War and married Chaje Gerje (b. 1898 in Karaszynce, Poland; d. 1989) after his return to Vienna. They had three children (Manfred, b. 1922, d. 1983; Lori, b. 1923, d. 2004; Gerda, b. 1926, d. 2000). All three children were in school at the time of the Anschluss with Germany. Overtures were made to several countries before Leopold was finally successful in securing permission for his family to emigrate to Shanghai on board Conte Biancamano in January 1939. Shanghai, an open port at the time, was a popular destination for Jews fleeing Europe; at its height, the Jewish community in Shanghai exceeded 18,000. The Gottfrieds, like all Jews fleeing Nazi territory, were compelled to surrender virtually all their belongings and money before leaving Austria. Upon arriving in Shanghai the family spent some time in charitable accommodation before settling in a very cramped apartment in the Hongkew district. The children pursued technical education offered through ORT, the Jewish community association in Shanghai, and sought work in various trades serving the expatriate population of the city. Manfred, who spoke English fluently, found work with American car firm Dodge; Lori and Gerda worked as hairdressers. Leopold tried his hand at various jobs, eventually starting a small import-export business. All members of the family participated actively in the cultural life of Shanghai’s Jewish community. When the war ended, the family stayed in Shanghai rather than face the uncertainties of trying to relocate immediately. Living conditions improved somewhat, and Manfred (who by this time had become fluent in Mandarin and Shanghai dialect) found work with the US army as an interpreter; through this position he was able to secure employment for Leopold and others at US Army warehouses around Shanghai. During this time both daughters met their future husbands, who were also from Vienna. They married within a week of one another in 1947; Gerda to engineer Hans Kraus (b. 1919; d. 1987) and Lori to machinist Hugo Seemann (b. 1910; d. 1980). By 1947 the family had begun to consider permanently relocating in the face of uncertainty regarding the Chinese Civil War; in 1949, Shanghai became a possession of the newly-established People's Republic of China and lost its status as an open port. Pressure from the new administration made living in Shanghai untenable for most expatriates, who faced expulsion if they were unwilling to leave voluntarily. Members of the family approached many countries, including Paraguay and the United States, as possible destinations. Manfred, Leopold and Chaje immigrated to Vancouver in 1948 and encouraged the rest of the family to follow. Irma Kraus also immigrated to Vancouver. According to the travelogue kept by Hans Kraus, the rest of the family left Shanghai in January 1949 and traveled for the rest of the year, stopping in Israel and Vienna for about three months at a time before arriving in Vancouver in 1950, where they remained.

Manfred Gottfried married Nettie Irene Geniele (b. 1926, d. 2015) in 1958; the couple had one daughter, Jo-Anne Gottfried Brown, in 1959. Jo-Anne married Richard F. Brown and had two children; they live in North Vancouver, BC.

North Vancouver Lawn Bowling Club

  • f219
  • Corporate body
  • 1923-present

The North Vancouver Lawn Bowling Club was formed in 1923 at 2160 Lonsdale Avenue, North Vancouver. It is one of the oldest sporting organisations on the North Shore and one of the largest lawn bowling clubs in North America. Since its foundation the club has catered to all levels of play and has hosted tournaments at the club, district, provincial and national levels. The club has also hosted many social events for its members throughout the season. Membership of the club has grown steadily since its foundation, from 40 in 1923 to 270 as of 2013. The club house was built in 1924 and has undergone extensive renovation over the years. A club history from 1923 to 1984 has been compiled from club records by J.S. Terry.

Methodist Indian Mission Church (Victoria, BC)

  • VIC MI
  • Corporate body
  • 1872-1907

The history of the Indian Mission Church in Victoria is associated with Pandora Street Methodist Church. By 1872, lay people of that congregation had rented a vacant saloon on Government Street to be used as a mission for First Nations people of Victoria. One of the first native people to embrace Christianity at this mission was Deix, a woman of royal blood from Port Simpson. She is known as the “Mother of Methodism” among the Tsimshian. In 1873, the Rev. William Pollard, Chair of the Victoria District, asked the Rev. Charles M. Tate to close his “Indian School” at Nanaimo and take charge of work at the mission. By 1876, a building was erected for the mission on Herald Street. It was destroyed by fire in July 1907.

Garden City United Church (Victoria, B.C.)

  • VIC GA
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-2012

In 1914, it was decided that the work of the Wilkinson Road Methodist Church Circuit should extend to the Garden City area. On September 14, 1914, a work bee constructed the new church building, and shortly thereafter Garden City Methodist Church was dedicated. It remained a part of the Wilkinson Road Circuit, and after church union the two congregations remained related as the Wilkinson Road-Garden City Pastoral Charge. With the closing of Wilkinson Road United Church in 1982, Garden City United Church became a single point Pastoral Charge. Garden City United Church disbanded on July 31, 2012.

Turner Institute (Vancouver, BC)

  • VAN TU
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1925

Previously known as Central Methodist Church (1908-1916), Turner Institute amalgamated with First Presbyterian Church at the time of Church Union, 1925.

Princess Street Methodist Church (Vancouver, BC)

  • VAN PR
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-1908

Princess Street Methodist Church was subsequently known as Central Methodist Church (1908-1916), when Vancouver's Princess Street was changed to Pender Street.

First United Church (Vancouver, BC)

  • VAN FI
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

First United Church has its roots in First Presbyterian Church (organized in 1885) and Princess Street Methodist Church (begun in 1888). The two congregations were involved in mission work very early on, and performed joint outreach projects since the early 1900s. By the time of the First World War, the national mission boards of both churches put the two congregations under their control in order that the mission work could continue. Princess Street Methodist Church, which had become Central Methodist Church in 1908, became the Turner Institute in 1916.

First United Church in Vancouver was established in 1925 through the amalgamation of First Presbyterian Church and the Turner Institute. The amalgamated congregation chose to meet in the Presbyterian Church building, which had been erected in 1892 at the corner of Gore and Hastings Streets. The minister, referred to as Superintendent, served as pastor to the congregation and had oversight of mission operations.

After church union, the old Turner Institute building was used for First United’s Welfare department, later known as Welfare Industries. The Rev. J. Richmond Craig, who had served as Superintendent of First Presbyterian Church from 1921, helped establish Welfare Industries, as well as Camp Fircom, and the congregation’s radio ministry. Welfare Industries was organized to provide employment, training, rehabilitation and opportunity for those unable to find employment in normal industries. Camp Fircom was established on Gambier Island as a fresh air camp for mothers and children. The Rev. Andrew Roddan is another significant Superintendent (1930-1948), who saw the mission through the Depression and war years. The original Presbyterian Church building was torn down in 1964 and the present building opened in 1965 at the same spot.

Welfare service work and advocacy programs have been the central components of the mission. Over the years, First United Church has mainly addressed the needs of the homeless, the unemployed, and ethnic groups (including the Finnish and Japanese congregations). In 2007, the congregation was disbanded, but the mission remains active.

Central Methodist Church (Vancouver, BC)

  • VAN CE
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-1916

Previously known as Princess Street Methodist Church (1888-1908), Central Methodist subsequently became known as the Turner Institute (1916-1925).

Carr, William

  • University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology
  • Person

William Carr was a resident of California who took a boat trip through the Strait of Georgia around 1949-50. In 1995 he donated two rolls of black and white 35 mm film to the Museum shot during this trip for their historical value and possible educational use by First Nations communities.

University of British Columbia. Academic Women's Association

  • UBC
  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

The Academic Women's Association of the University of British Columbia was founded in September 1976 to foster collegiality among academic women, to encourage and promote equal opportunities for women to participate fully in all aspects of University affairs, to provide a forum for discussion on matters that affect women at the University, and to initiate any enquiry, study, or action as decided upon by the Association. Membership in the AWA is open to all women holding tenured full-time or part-time positions, as well as those with temporary academic appointments. The Association's administrative structure was largely ad hoc in nature until the late 1980's, when steady growth in its membership, its increasing activism, and establishment of regular awards, a newsletter, and a monograph publishing programme led to changes in its constitution in 1989. The following year began a regular series of meetings between the AWA President and the University President to discuss women's equality and other human rights issues. The Association also fosters relations with University offices with similar aims with respect to women's issues, and is involved with several
University committees that also address those issues.

Stevens Studio

  • TN 2008.023
  • Corporate body
  • 1947 - 1975

Stevens Studio represents a series of photography businesses run by Art Stevens and Jane Sloan. (Note: Jane Sloan was born Alice Stevenson, becoming Alice Stevens when she married Art in 1951.)

The first business, Alice Stevenson Photography, was begun in 1947 by Jane Sloan. Four years later, she formed a partnership with Art Stevens and Stevens Studio was born, operating out of 659 Baker Street in Nelson, British Columbia. In 1954, Art and Jane sold the business to Don Elder and moved to New Westminster, B.C. to work for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. They returned to Nelson the following year and re-acquired the business from Don, setting up shop on 456 Baker Street.

After several years of jointly running Stevens Studio, Jane left the partnership in 1960. Art continued to run the business in the same location for six years, after which he moved several blocks to 405 Hall Street. In 1968, he changed the name of the business to Art Stevens Photography and Radio and moved again to 533 Baker Street.

In the 1970’s, the business underwent two significant changes. Art moved to 359 Baker Street in 1972. In 1975 he switched the focus of the business from photography to electronics, selling home stereos, car stereos, televisions and C.B. (Citizen Band) radios.

For the next 18 years he ran the business as an electronics shop, closing in 1993.

Terry Ketler

  • TK
  • Person
  • [19--] -

Terry Ketler was a founding member of the Metro Media Society of Greater Vancouver. Metro Media was founded in 1971, one of the groups to grow out of Intermedia. Its activities included “training citizens in the use of of small format television equipment, cable casting community programs over Channel 10 in Vancouver, and, bringing awareness of communications policies to the community level.” In addition to providing access to video equipment for the alternative and art communities, Metro Media worked closely with educational and social service agencies to promote media democracy. Metro Media provided access to video equipment to many Vancouver producers. Between 1971 and 1974, Metro Media was responsible for over 500 hours of cable programming. It continued until 1983.

Sunnyside United Church (Surrey, B.C.)

  • SUR SU
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-2017

The Sunnyside United Church congregation was established in 1949; a church was built in 1951. The congregation was part of Strawberry Hill Pastoral Charge from 1951 to 1956, then formed a pastoral charge with Sullivan United until 1958 when it became a separate charge. From 1969 until 1989 it was part of the White Rock Pastoral Charge. In 1989 it became a single-point pastoral charge once more, until July 1, 2017, when it amalgamated with Crescent United Church (Surrey, B.C.) and First United Church (White Rock, B.C.) to form Peninsula United Church.

Sara Diamond

  • SD
  • Person
  • 1954 -

Dr. Sara Diamond is currently President of OCAD University (2018). Diamond holds a PhD in Computing, Information Technology and Engineering from the University of East London, a Master’s in Digital Media theory from the University of the Arts London and an Honour’s Bachelor of Arts in History and Communications from Simon Fraser University. She is an appointee of the Order of Ontario and the Royal Canadian Society of Artists; and also a Senior Fellow at Massey College, University of Toronto. During her tenure, OCAD U has taken a leadership role in digital media, design research, and curriculum, through the Digital Futures Initiative. Diamond also played a leading role in OCAD University’s establishment of the Indigenous Visual Culture program.

Diamond was hugely influential in the B.C. labour, feminist, LGBTQ2S and independent video movement from the mid-1970s through the mid 1990s. She was an innovator and influencer in Vancouver’s cultural and academic communities as a solo artist, curator educator (ECUAD, VIVO Media Arts Centre), and as co-founder of Amelia Productions and founder of the Women’s Labour History Project.

Diamond worked at VIVO Media Arts Centre for over a decade (from the early 1980s) spearheading exhibition and education programs for women, inspiring more to engage with the radical potential of the medium. She mentored women in arts administration, curation, media criticism, and production at VIVO as well as in her independent practice.

Diamond’s personal artworks are held by the Art Bank (Ottawa),Museum of Modern Art (NYC), and the National Gallery of Canada (Ottawa). In 1992, Diamond was honoured with a retrospective exhibition and catalogue at the National Gallery of Canada, following a retrospective at the 1991 IMAGES Festival in Toronto and a solo exhibition at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Purdy, Al

  • SC420
  • Person
  • 1918-2000

Alfred Wellington Purdy, OC, O.Ont (December 30, 1918-April 21, 2000) was a Canadian poet.

Agúst Guðmundsson

  • SC330
  • Person
  • 1947-

Agust Gudmundsson is an Icelandic screenwriter.

Lewis, Wyndham

  • SC252
  • Person
  • 1882-1957

(Percy) Wyndham Lewis was an artist, writer, and critic. He was born on a yacht in the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia. He studied at the Slade School of Art, London. With Ezra Pound, Lewis founded Blast (1914-15), the magazine of Vorticism. His writings include the novel The Apes of God (1930), and The Human Age (1955-6); literary criticism including Men Without Art (1934), and autobiographical books, such as Blasting and Bombardiering (1937). His produced works include abstract art, a series of war pictures, and portraits.

Saanich (B.C.)

  • SAANICH
  • Corporate body
  • 1906-

The Municipality of Saanich was incorporated on March 1st, 1906. On March 10th of that year, the first council was sworn in and held its first meeting, selecting Thomas Brydon as Reeve. In 1908, the council decided to divide the municipality into six (and later seven) wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949.

Early council meetings were held in a small house on Glanford Avenue until a new municipal hall was built on West Saanich Road at Royal Oak in 1911. The current hall located at 770 Vernon Avenue opened in 1965. In 1970, the title reeve was changed to mayor.

Regular Council and Committee of the Whole meetings take place weekly, in accordance with the Council Procedure Bylaw; special meetings are scheduled as required. Minutes are recorded and processed by Legislative Division staff. Currently, Council and Committee of the Whole minutes from 1970 onward are held at the Legislative Services Division in the Municipal Hall. Saanich Archives retains the 1906-1969 minutes.

Renwick's Portrait Studio

  • Renwick's Portrait Studio fonds
  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1984

Renwick’s Portrait Studio was owned and operated by Archibald Albert “Archie” Renwick (d. Dec 14, 1984). The business opened in 1942 at 316 Baker Street. The studio moved to 577 Ward in 1958 and remained at this location until the business closed in 1984. There is evidence that Archie Renwick hired assistants throughout his career, but he was the owner and primary operator.

Renwick was a long-time Nelson resident. He moved to Nelson in the late 1920s and graduated from Nelson High School. In his youth, Renwick worked at Renwick’s Transfer and Taxi on Vernon Street. In the 1930s, he started a grocery business called Renwick and Romano. He left Nelson in the early 1940s and graduated from a photography school in Chicago in 1942. Renwick was also an active musician, and was a member of both the local Troubadour Orchestra and the Nelson City Band. He remained in Nelson until his death. As a business that was open for more than forty years, Renwick’s Portrait Studio photographed thousands of Nelson residents. In addition to earning the confidence of the Kootenay Doukhobor community, the studio also photographed such notable residents as the Bishop of Nelson, Martin Michael Johnson (1899-1975), and Mayor Louis Maglio (1917-2007). Many of Renwick’s wedding photographs, in particular, were published in the Nelson Daily News. The fonds is also known as the Archie Renwick Collection.

Renegade Library

  • RL
  • Corporate body
  • 1996-1998

During the years 1996 to 1998, the Renegade Library developed as both a social practice, and a collection of over 500 artist books. Originating with a mail art call for “collaborative mail art in book form,” this project of Lois Klassen in conjunction with the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba, brought together over 700 artists from some 40 countries. Together, their correspondences produced a delightful collection of zines, assemblings, multiples, add & pass, miniatures, visual poetry, small presses, and much more. Renegade Library is an infectiously inspiring artifact of a 90s mail art and artist book experimentation. Today the Renegade Library occupies 20 boxes, which are individually being acquired by public artist book collections. Through this distribution, Renegade Library has taken up residence in collections including Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba (Brandon), Also As Well Too (Winnipeg), Artexte (Montreal), Centro de Desarollo de las Artes Visuales (Havana), Institute of American Indian Arts (Santa Fe), Bautista Kabistan Esquivel Collective (San Salvador), and Emily Carr University Library (Vancouver), and the Crista Dahl Media Library & Archives at the VIVO Media Arts Centre (Vancouver).

Citizens' Task Force on Recycling

  • RECYCLE
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-

The Citizens’ Task Force on Recycling was formed on April 19, 1979. The Citizens’ Task Force was created to research and formulate a recycling program for presentation to Saanich Council, and was chaired by Alderman Sturrock. The recycling proposal was presented on February 6, 1980.

Playfair Park Mother's Group

  • Playfair Park
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The Playfair Park Mother's Group was established in 1948 to organize supervised children's summer programs for neighbourhood children age 4 to 16. Playfair Park in Saanich had been opened as a park in 1946. Once part of the original North Dairy Farm, the land was subdivided around 1912 but reverted to Saanich in a tax sale in 1924 and set aside for future park use. As with other parks in Saanich at the time, Playfair Park was run by a neighbourhood committee which received a municipal grant of $200 a year to be spent on permanent improvements. Saanich provided material, and the labour for improvements was carried out by volunteers. Volunteers of men cleared bushes and stumps (from trees logged years before) to form a grassy area. Pavement was poured for a children's area and water and electricity were installed by volunteers.

Playfair Park Mother's Group executive usually consisted of a president, vice-president, treasurer and secretary. Among the first committee members were Fran Dawson, president and Sylvia McKay, vice president, 1949.

Neighbourhood mothers raised funds for sports equipment and for a park assistant to run a 5-6 week program during July and August each year. The program included sports, pantomimes, costume competitions, crafts, dance instruction, swimming lessons at the Crystal Gardens in Victoria, field trips, barbeques and special celebrations. At the opening day in 1949, over 125 children were present.

In 1951, the neighbourhood group involved in Playfair Park also became involved in a similar project at nearby Reynolds Park. That year, it is reported that there were 14 parks in Saanich offering supervised summer programs run by volunteer groups: Playfair Park; Strawberry Vale; Marigold playground located at Iris Park; Qu'Appelle; Oak Street; Rosedale; Peter Hill playground at Braefoot Estate; Tolmie; Rudd Park; Rainbow; and newly opened Reynolds, Majestic; Hampton, and Maynard.

Results 1 to 25 of 20941