Showing 20965 results

authority records

Fatt (family)

William and Sarah Sutton had six children, William John Jr., Sarah Ellen, James Edward, Richard Keyworth, Fanny Keyworth and Mary Louise. William John Sutton Jr. became a well known geologist who worked on the West Coast before his death in 1914. Sarah Ellen Sutton married the Anglican Minister Frederick Helling Fatt. Together they had four sons, William M., Fred P., Norman B. and Edward John. William M. Fatt died ca. 1917. The Reverend F.H. Fatt died in 1930.

Imai, Joan

  • Person
  • [192-?]-2018

Joan Imai was a member of the Vancouver Japanese United Church English-Speaking Congregation, from 1971 until 1979. Her husband, Gordon, was the minister of the Lower Mainland Pastoral Charge of the Japanese United Church during that period. She and her husband returned to the Vancouver Japanese United Church after Gordon retired, and she remained a member until the English-Speaking Congregation closed in 2017.

Yamamato, Dorothy

  • Person
  • 193-?-

Dorothy Yamamato was a longtime member of the Vancouver Japanese United Church English Speaking congregation, until it closed in 2017.

Canadian National Steamships Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1927-1977

The Canadian National Steamships Company had its beginnings in 1908 when its predecessor, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTP), bought MacKenzie Brothers Steamships Ltd. in order to provide tugboat and barge services from Vancouver to Prince Rupert. Soon, the GTP also began providing shipping services to Victoria, Seattle, the Queen Charlotte Islands, and Skagway, Alaska. On February 26, 1925, the GTP was taken over by the Dominion Government, and it became part of the Canadian National Railway (CNR).

The Canadian National Steamships Act of 1927 united all steamship companies allied with the Canadian National Railway, and these companies then ran under the title of the Canadian National Steamships Company (CNSS). In addition to the GTP’s steamship company, the CNSS now included the Canadian National (West Indies) Ltd., and in 1928, it also included the Canadian Government Merchant Marine Ltd. The CNSS ran routes to Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, the Queen Charlotte Islands, Skagway, Montreal, Halifax, the West Indies, and Australia. The Australia routes were short-lived; in 1936 the CNSS transferred the routes to Port Line, Ellerman & Company, and to the New Zealand Shipping Company. In 1945, the CNSS also took over the operation of the barge and ferry services that MacKenzie and Mann began in in 1916. At various times, these services ran between the mainland and Vancouver Island, and to Prince Rupert, Kelowna, Penticton, Summerland, and Lake Naramata.

In addition to the tugboats and barges that the CNSS operated, they acquired many luxury ships. On their West Coast routes, for example, they sailed the sister ships Prince Henry, Prince David, and Prince Robert. Notably, in 1939, the Prince Robert was used as the “royal yacht” to transport King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on their trip from Victoria to Vancouver. From their East Coast ports, the CNSS sailed five luxury ships known as the “Lady Boats.” While the luxury passenger ships were popular among many, their success was limited by the Great Depression. Then, during World War II, many of them were used for the war effort. For example, the Prince Robert was converted into an auxiliary cruiser by the Canadian Navy, and then became the first Canadian anti-aircraft cruiser. Additionally, the Lady Boat Lady Somers was converted into an auxiliary armed cruiser, and the Lady Nelson was converted into a hospital ship.

After World War II, Lady Rodney and Lady Nelson were the only two Lady Boats that had not been sunk. In 1946, they were used to transport war brides from Great Britain to Canada, and then in 1947 they were used once again as luxury passenger cruises to the West Indies. This service lasted until 1952, when the Lady Boats were sold. Similarly on the West Coast, the CNSS only had one remaining vessel after the war; the Prince Rupert continued to be used, and in 1946, it was the first Canadian ship equipped with radar. In 1948, the CNSS put a new Prince George into service, and in 1956, after the Prince Rupert was sold, the Prince George was the only vessel being operated by the CNSS. The Prince George had her last sailing in 1975, and she was sold in 1976.

In 1977, a branch of the CNSS became CN Marine. In 1986, CN Marine re-branded itself as Marine Atlantic. Today, Marine Atlantic runs ferry services between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Laponce, Iza

  • Person
  • 1938–2019

Iza Fiszhaut Laponce (née Gustawa Stak) was born in Poland to Dorota (Dola) Oderberg and Hilary Stak in 1938. Her family lived in the Warsaw ghetto. Her mother was shipped from Umschlagplatz to Treblinka, where she perished. Iza was smuggled out of the Warsaw ghetto prior to its destruction, and survived in hiding with false papers, sheltered by the Milewicz–Rygalsgi family who were members of the underground resistance. She was adopted by the Fiszhaut family. She left Poland in 1949, coming by ship to New York, then to Vancouver by train.

Iza worked as a librarian in the Humanities and Social Science Reference Division at UBC. She complied the Canadian Politics Bibliography. Iza married Jean Laponce (1925–2016), a professor in political science at UBC; they had one daughter. Iza wrote an unpublished memoir of her childhood in Poland and an unpublished history of the Fiszhaut family. She died in Vancouver, BC, in 2019.

Holocaust Memorial Committee

  • Corporate body
  • [1986–1987]

The Holocaust Memorial Committee was formed by members of the Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society (VHCS) with the goal of building a memorial to honour the memory of loved ones who had perished in the Holocaust. The committee was chaired by Jack Kowarsky. Other committee members were Leon Dales, Mariette Doduck, David Ehrlich, Lili Folk, Rome Fox, Bill Gluck, Paul Heller, Leon Kahn, Freda Kaplan, David Shafran and Robbie Waisman. Leo Lowy and Jack Perel were also involved.

The committee presented a model of the proposed memorial at the April 9, 1986 annual general meeting of the VHCS, which authorized its construction at that time. Construction of the monument at the Schara Tzedeck Cemetery in New Westminster began in August 1986 and was completed in February 1987. It is inscribed with the following: “Dedicated to the six million of our beloved people brutally murdered during the Nazi Holocaust 1933–1945. They shall live in our hearts forever.”

The monument was unveiled on Yom HaShoah on April 26, 1987. It is the site of an annual High Holidays cemetery service first programmed by the Cemetery Service Committee of the VHCS, and later, by staff of the VHEC.

Key contributors to the Holocaust memorial were:
Naomi Spiers, artist
Jack Lutsky, architect
Ralph Schwartzman, structural engineer
Renia Perel, chairperson, names collection
Morris Perel, memorial assistance fund
Robert Krell, president, VHCS
Josef Auerhahn, funding eternal light
Jack Kowarsky, chairman, Holocaust Memorial Project and co-editor, commemorative book
Freda Kaplan, co-editor, commemorative book

Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society for Education and Remembrance

  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

The Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society for Education and Remembrance (VHCS) was founded in 1983 by a group of British Columbian survivors of the Holocaust and those with ties to the Warsaw Ghetto Committee and the Standing Committee on Holocaust Education of the Canadian Jewish Congress (Pacific Region). The society received charitable status in 1985. Its goal, realized in 1994, was to leave a permanent legacy to the province in the form of a Centre devoted to Holocaust-based anti-racism programming. In 1990, the VHCS partnered with the Jewish Community Centre on the Phase III development of its centre at 41st and Oak in Vancouver, and is located in the basement of that building.

Key members of the Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society are:
Dr. Robert Krell, Founding President, 1983-1998
Robbie Waisman, President, 1998-2004
Rita Axelrod, President, 2004-2007
Jody Dales, President, 2007-2010
Ed Lewin, President, 2010-2016
Philip Levinson, President, 2016-

Rubin Pinsky chaired the VHCS collections committee in the early 1990s.

Early activities and programs of the VHCS occurred in the following areas:
Remembrance, Holocaust documentation, outreach program, community education, publishing, exhibitions and collections, child survivor group, second generation group, fundraising and the construction of a Holocaust memorial.

Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1994–

The Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre (VHEC) was opened in 1994 by the Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society (VHCS). The VHEC is devoted to Holocaust-based anti-racism education and commemoration. Its staff produce thematic exhibits, school programs and commemorative events, publish a newsletter entitled Zachor and administrate the Wosk Publishing Program. The VHEC holds Western Canada’s largest collection of Holocaust-related artefacts, Holocaust testimonies and archival records and manages a comprehensive library of books, films, educational resources, as well as rare books and special collections.

John Houston

  • Person
  • 1888-1910

Born in Alton, Canada West (now Ontario), Houston's career as a newspaper publisher in British Columbia spanned twenty-two years, beginning in 1888 in the town of Donald. Later he would publish newspapers in New Westminster, Nelson, Rossland and Prince Rupert. His last paper would be printed in 1910 at South Fort George. John was married, though his wife, Edith May Keeley, didn't follow him on his constant ramblings throughout the province and stayed at their mansion in Nelson. He was the first mayor of Nelson lasting from 1897 to 1905 and was a member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for West Kootenay-Nelson from 1900 to 1903 and Nelson City from 1903 until 1907. During this time, he became well known for being a working-man's advocate and he often spoke against the policies of the Canadian Pacific Railway and supported a motion to stop provincial aid to railways. Both the town of Houston, B.C. and Houston Lane in Prince George, B.C. are named after him.

Hume Family Fonds

  • Hume Fonds
  • Family
  • 1862-1980

John Frederick Hume (August 8, 1860 – February 6, 1935) was a notary public and political figure in British Columbia. He represented West Kootenay South in the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia from 1894 to 1898 and served for several years as Nelson alderman.

He was born in Jacksonville, New Brunswick, of Scottish origin, and was educated there. In 1891, Hume married Lydia J. Irvine. He served as a justice of the peace. He served in the provincial cabinet as Provincial Secretary and Minister of Mines. In 1898, Hume and his wife Lydia opened the Hume Hotel in Nelson.

Among John and Lydia's children were Forestry worker John Frederick Junior (1904-1977) and newspaper writer Freeda Hume Bolton (1900-1998).

Pro-Choice Action Network

  • Corporate body
  • 1987-2009

The Pro-Choice Action Network (Pro-CAN) was formed in 1987 under the name B.C. Coalition for Abortion Clinics (BCCAC) with the mission of securing safe, fully-funded, high-quality abortion services for women. With the support of the labour movement, women’s health groups, student groups, the United Church, and health care professionals, BCCAC opened Everywoman’s Health Centre in November 1988. Although it was illegal for freestanding clinics to offer abortion services at that time, the centre remained open and continues to function today as an abortion and sexual health clinic in Vancouver, B.C.

After establishing the Everywoman’s Health Centre, BCCAC broadened their mandate to begin lobbying and advocating for: full government funding of reproductive health services, including surgical and medical abortion services; the defeat of all laws that criminalize abortion or impede women’s rights or access to choice; enforcement and protection of the Access to Abortion Services Act; provision for universal and federally-guaranteed access to abortion in all regions of Canada; the availability of safe, affordable, and effective contraception; and comprehensive sex education in schools.

In 1995, the Coalition began publishing their quarterly newsletter, The Pro-Choice Press, as a way to further its aims and reach the public. A few years later, in 1998, its name was officially changed to Pro-Choice Action Network. Despite the name change, the group continued to build a broad-based political movement and advocate for public education on women’s right to choice. It also established mutually productive relationships with clinics, hospitals, health care professionals, pro-choice groups, women’s groups, and various local, provincial, and national governmental agencies.

Around the same time in the late 1990s, Pro-CAN found itself increasingly focused on national issues. After the Canadian Abortion Rights Action League (CARAL) disbanded in 2004, the Board realized a new national group was needed to replace its efforts. The need was filled when Joyce Arthur of Pro-CAN led the formation of a new national group known as the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada (ARCC-CDAC). As the years went on, the Coalition found itself becoming relatively inactive due to a lack of need for a provincial pro-choice group in British Columbia. As such, Pro-CAN made the decision to close its doors in January 2009 with the assurance that ARCC would take up the mantle on provincial issues as needed.

Nudelman, Edward

  • Person

Edward Nudelman is a Seattle-based rare books dealer. Since 1980 his company, Nudelman Rare Books, has sold out-of-print rare books with a focus on English and American literature, illustrated 19th and 20th century books, and the art and poetry of the Victorian and Pre-Raphaelite periods. He has been a member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America since 1983.

In addition to his work as a bookseller, Nudelman is also a poet. His first poetry collection ("What Looks Like An Elephant") was published in 2011.

Nudelman studied chemistry and zoology at the University of Washington. He worked as a cancer research scientist until his retirement in 2012.

Wassermann Walker, Hanne

  • Person
  • 13 May 1893-28 May 1986

Hanne Wassermann Walker was born on May 13, 1893 to Jewish parents Rudolf Herrmann (23 February 1846-31 May 1922) and Hedwig Herrmann née Heller (3 January 1863-28 December 1940) in Vienna, Austria. Her father worked as an architect for the city and her mother did not work outside the home, instead looking after Hanne and her one other daughter, Elizabeth Fischer née Herrmann (11 December 1887- 1981).

As a teenager, Hanne studied at Hermine Brabbée’s Civic School for Girls, a private school which would have offered an education for people pursuing jobs in the commercial or trade sectors rather than for those planning to get a traditional university degree. She went on to study at the “Lehr- und Versuchsanstalt für Photographie und Reproduktionsverfahren” (Teaching and Research Institute for Photography and Reproduction Processes) in Vienna from 1912-1914. Here Hanne studied such subjects as portrait photography, freehand drawing, chemistry, commercial/business math and writing, and more. Hanne would go on to become a prolific amateur photographer, however, her true calling was in the field of health and fitness.

After completion of her studies in photography and graphic reproduction, Hanne attended the Röntgen Institute, Vienna's first x-ray institute, where she learned about human anatomy and physical wellness. She completed her time there around 1917. During this period, Hanne married Dr. Gustav Wassermann, however their union was short-lived; the couple wed in July 1914 and in January 1915 Gustav died from a heart-related condition.

Hanne pioneered a series of stretches and exercises for women she called The Hanne Wassermann Method, which she described as a form of gymnastics. She focused not only on physical “improvements” but also the psychology of fitness, describing her method as “The First Psychologically Based Gymnastic System with Movement Control”. She documented these routines through written publications and extensive photo series. Her exercises were designed to help practitioners lose weight, tone figures, and reduce the “effect of age” while also improving one’s overall mental and physical wellbeing. She was also a proponent of winter sports, physical education for children, and swimming lessons, the latter which she also taught.

Hanne worked as a personal trainer, teacher, and fitness advocate at a time when the concepts of physical culture and education were only just beginning to take hold on a wider scale. She opened a school (“Gymnastikschule”) in Vienna, taught at an upscale resort in Italy, worked as a personal trainer, and sought to advance her philosophy and fitness techniques through lectures, books, pamphlets, and newspaper/magazine articles. These works featured titles like: “Daily Gymnastics”, “Everywoman The Sculptor of Her Own Body”, “Nice on the Outside, Ugly on the Inside”, and “Movement and Figure Control”. Her list of friends and clients was comprised of some the most elite members of Austrian/European society during the interwar period, including Princess Helen of Greece, Princess Marguerita of Aosta, Baron Louis Rothschild, and actress Hedy Lamarr.

During the summer, Hanne often traveled throughout Europe – travels she documented with her camera. Much of the resulting photographs depict the landscapes and architecture of Austria, France, Italy, and Greece. Hanne spent lots of time on the Italian islands of Brioni (which later became part of Croatia). Brioni had long been a popular travel destination for the upper classes of Europe, especially Vienna, and it was to here that Hanne brought her physical fitness method in the summertime, offering her classes and swimming lessons at the Hotel Brioni.

Featured in many of Hanne’s travel photographs from between 1926 and 1938 is a man who appears to have been her boyfriend/lover. However, his name is not identified on any of the photographs in this fonds, nor do there appear to be letters or other records that shed light on his identity and relationship with Hanne. Around 1934, Hanne met her future husband George Dickson Walker (19 July 1889-11 July 1981). George was a Presbyterian minister with a background in psychology. It is unclear from the records in this fonds exactly how they met or what the early years of their relationship were like, however, George did visit Austria occasionally as a tourist and it may have been during one of these trips that he and Hanne met. George, who was born in Northern Ireland, was living and working in Manchester, England, in 1934. He moved with his wife, Rachel, and daughter, Norah, to the Channel Islands in 1936; according to U.S. immigration paperwork filled out by George years later, in 1936 his wife deserted him. (He lost track of them when Germany occupied the Channel Islands in 1940, although according to correspondence with his brother years later, George appears to have had some knowledge of his daughter’s life after the war.)

Following Nazi Germany’s 1938 annexation of Austria, Hanne and her family began making preparations to emigrate from Europe. However, she did not depart immediately from Austria. Hanne traveled, worked, and lived in other parts of Europe (Britain and Italy in particular) during this time. It was not until December 1939 that Hanne left England for New York, followed shortly afterwards by her mother and George. Hanne’s journey to the U.S. was made possible thanks in part to her friend and client Marie Louise Wanamaker, a Philadelphia department store heiress who wrote letters on Hanne’s behalf and helped her navigate the American immigration system.

For the next three years, Hanne worked as a fitness instructor and lecturer at various hotels and studios across the country, making La Jolla, California, her temporary home. During this time she also developed a product called the “Wassermann Rescue Sling,” which was designed to more safely lift and transport injured bodies in the event of a disaster or military attack; she offered training courses on the sling’s use and issued “Modern Rescue & Transportation” certificates to successful participants.

On June 15, 1943, Hanne married George in Los Angeles and the two relocated to British Columbia, ultimately settling on the North Shore of Burrard Inlet, first in North Vancouver and then in West Vancouver. They resided here for the rest of their lives. Hanne taught private fitness classes to some of Vancouver’s wealthiest and most influential citizens, although she did not share with them stories or details of her earlier life in Europe. In addition to fitness classes, Hanne also provided some physiotherapy services such as massages.

During her 43 years in British Columbia, Hanne was a prolific amateur photographer, documenting her life with George (which included several pet dogs over the years) and much of the travel they did together. (Both were avid campers.) Hanne’s landscape photography captures many B.C. lakes and mountains during the mid-20th century. The subjects of her portrait photography include members of the Koerner, Prentice, Molnar, and other Vancouver families, as well as George and friends of theirs. In addition to photography, Hanne was also a talented sculptor.

Hanne died May 28, 1986 at the age of 93.

Scott, John Alexander

  • Person
  • 1910-2000

John Alexander Scott (1910-2000) was born on May 12 in Belfast, Ireland. Starting at the age of 14, Scott worked on the docks, then as a delivery boy for a small bakery before immigrating to Canada in May 1927. After landing in Quebec City, Scott worked at various jobs in and around Montreal, including as a farm labourer in the Eastern Townships.

Scott’s interest in political activism began when he participated in a 1929 May Day rally in Montreal. Scott joined the Communist Party within the year and became a Workers Unity League organizer whose territory encompassed the western Ontario centres of Sarnia, London, Brantford, Kitchener, and adjacent towns. He helped to organize the high-profile Ontario Hunger March from Windsor to Toronto in 1934, and also participated in the Ontario segment of the On-to-Ottawa Trek in 1935. In 1936, he helped to organize Sunday evening demonstrations against fascism, war, and unemployment on the boardwalk of the Toronto Beaches. In 1939, he began working in the tobacco fields of Delhi, during which time he organized the workers to strike for higher pay. In 1941, while working in the shipping department, he helped to organize a strike at Campbell’s Soup Company in New Toronto.

After enlisting in 1942, Scott served as a communications operator overseas during World War II, receiving the Croix de Guerre avec Étoile de Bronze from the provisional government of the French Republic and a citation from the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division headquarters. Shortly after returning from the war, he married his first wife, Ann Walters, a Finnish-Canadian woman whom he had known since the 1930s, but they soon separated.

Among other jobs he had following the war, Scott worked for 18 months at Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada Limited in Trail, British Columbia, before being dismissed for distributing leaflets critical to the company. While in Trail, Scott was married to Hilda Bernadette Scott. After losing the job at Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company, Scott worked at a dairy until the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers asked him to organize for them. Scott spent two years as union business agent in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories before moving to Vancouver in 1951.

In 1964, Scott was expelled from the Communist Party for speaking in favor of Communist China and for voicing opposition to what he believed to be the party's movement away from revolutionary Marxist-Leninist principles. The same year, he was also expelled from the New Democratic Party. During this time, Scott was instrumental in founding the Canada-China Friendship Association (CCFA) and the Vancouver-based Progressive Workers’ Movement (PWM), which drew strength from a pro-Chinese faction within the Communist Party. Scott also became the chief writer / editor for the political party’s journal, Progressive Worker. Scott visited China four times starting in 1967, at which time he met Mao Zedong. On his second visit in 1974, his wife Hilda suffered a heart attack and died in Beijing.

In the 1970s, Scott was an active member of the Vancouver Study Group (VSG), which eventually became the Red Star Collective (RSC), and wrote on such topics as labour history, Canadian unions, Canadian political economy, and Chinese foreign policy. His books include “Yankee Unions Go Home,” “Sweat and Struggle: Working Class Struggles in Canada,” “Canadian Workers, American Unions,” and “Plunderbund and Proletariat.” After retiring as a maintenance man for the Pender Auditorium, Scott continued to write and to volunteer at the co-op bookstore, Spartacus Books. In 1990, following the publication in 1988 of Jack Scott’s oral history recollections entitled “A Communist Life: Jack Scott and the Canadian Workers Movement, 1927-1985,” four members of the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) mentioned in the book submitted a claim of libel against Scott and the Committee on Canadian Labour History. The case was settled in 1995 before being brought to trial. At the time of his death on December 30, 2000, Scott was completing the final chapters of a critique of Vladimir Lenin.

Brooks, Alan Francis

  • Person
  • August 20th, 1917 - November 26th, 2015

Alan Francis Brooks was born on August 20th, 1917 in London, England and was raised in Montréal, Quebec. He would go on to join the Royal Canadian Armed Forces and serve overseas with the Bomber Command during WWII. After the war, he earned a degree in Chemical Engineering at McGill University in Montréal, which led to a job with mining company Cominco Ltd. (currently known as Teck Resources Ltd.) in Trail, British Columbia. The facility he worked at had a large smelter that used a significant amount of power, causing him to become attentive to cheap power alternatives. As such, Alan was highly interested in hydroelectric projects being undertaken in the Pacific Northwest, especially the Columbia River Treaty and the Columbia Basin Project. In pursuit of the former, he dedicated time outside of work to actively following local news coverage of the treaty and filling twenty-six scrapbooks with newspaper clippings detailing its development.

Alan’s job with Cominco also prompted transfers that would take him to Montréal, Calgary, and Vancouver, where he would eventually settle down and retire. In retirement, he spent his time photographing nature, continuing his lifetime hobby of collecting stamps, and becoming a member of the Golden Agers Hiking Club as well as the philatelic group The 21 Club. He remained in Vancouver until the end of his life at the South Granville Park Lodge retirement facility. Alan passed away on November 26th, 2015 at the age of 98, surrounded by family. He was predeceased by his first wife Audrey Holmes Brooks and his second wife Muriel Floud Brooks and he is survived by his daughters Carolyn and Louise and grandchildren Ryan, Brendan, and Alexa.

[Anonymous Student Protestor]

  • Person

This donor was a citizen of China and a student who participated in the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. The donor wishes to remain anonymous.

Trans-Himalayan Aid Society

  • Corporate body

The Trans-Himalayan Aid Society (TRAS), formerly the Tibetan Refugee Aid Society, is a not-for-profit international development organization based in Vancouver, British Columbia. TRAS was founded by author George Woodcock and his wife and Inge after they visited India and met His Holiness, the Dalai Lama in the 1960s. TRAS became an official Society of British Columbia in 1962.
Originally, TRAS operated under the following administrative structure. The position of Chairman was a honourary appointment. The Vice-Chairman was responsible for administration including the general running of the entire operation. There was also a Board of Directors which conferred with the Vice-Chairman on all aspects of the running of the Society. All of these persons were volunteers. Professor George Woodcock was the Vice-Chairman of TRAS from 1962-1970. Professor John Conway was then Vice-Chairman from 1971-1981. When Professor Conway resigned from the position of Vice-Chairman, the Society decided that the office work was too much for volunteers and a professional secretary was hired to run the office. The name of the Society was officially changed on May 14, 1990 to the Trans-Himalayan Aid Society. The original acronym, TRAS, remained the same.
In 1970, the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) agreed to provide the organization with matching funds. Realizing that Tibetan refugees would not be leaving India anytime soon, TRAS expanded its scope of activities to help adults and children cope on a longer-term basis. As Tibetan settlements reached self-sufficiency the organization extended its reach into the trans-Himalayan region. TRAS works with partner agencies and individuals in India, Nepal, and Tibet to identify communities in need. Proposals come from partner organizations to TRAS’ Board of Directors. The Board of Directors decides which projects to raise and distribute funds for; funds are raised through individual donations and fundraising events. Partners are responsible for implementing their own projects. Areas of work include: education campaigns; building settlements, schools and homes for children and elderly; vocational training; environmental, agricultural and health programs; and the preservation of arts and culture.

Results 1 to 25 of 20965