Showing 20861 results

authority records

Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society for Education and Remembrance

  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

The Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society for Education and Remembrance (VHCS) was founded in 1983 by a group of British Columbian survivors of the Holocaust and those with ties to the Warsaw Ghetto Committee and the Standing Committee on Holocaust Education of the Canadian Jewish Congress (Pacific Region). The society received charitable status in 1985. Its goal, realized in 1994, was to leave a permanent legacy to the province in the form of a Centre devoted to Holocaust-based anti-racism programming. In 1990, the VHCS partnered with the Jewish Community Centre on the Phase III development of its centre at 41st and Oak in Vancouver, and is located in the basement of that building.

Key members of the Vancouver Holocaust Centre Society are:
Dr. Robert Krell, Founding President, 1983-1998
Robbie Waisman, President, 1998-2004
Rita Axelrod, President, 2004-2007
Jody Dales, President, 2007-2010
Ed Lewin, President, 2010-2016
Philip Levinson, President, 2016-

Rubin Pinsky chaired the VHCS collections committee in the early 1990s.

Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1994–

The Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre (VHEC) was opened in 1994 by the VHCS. The VHEC stewards Western Canada’s largest collection of Holocaust-related artefacts, Holocaust testimonies and archival records. It manages a comprehensive library of books, films, educational resources, as well as rare books and special collections. The VHEC continues to acquire, preserve and make available primary and secondary sources as documentary evidence of the Holocaust and its effect on individuals, families and society.
Through education and remembrance, the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre engages students, educators and the broader public in British Columbia and beyond with the history of the Holocaust — the Shoah — and its ongoing relevance.

Blair, Gil

  • Person
  • 1926 - 2006

Gilbert Joseph Blair was born in Vancouver on July 4th, 1926, and passed away February 1, 2006. Gil was married to Barbara Gilbert. He had 4 children: sons Ron and Rick, daughters Bev Boyd and Brenda Alder, and 5 grandchildren (Brian and Darryl Kiesenwetter, Cameron and Shauna Alder and Liam Blair). He had 4 sisters; Geraldine Wray, Patricia Warman, Evelyn Pitre, Roberta Dimond, and one brother, Barry. He served in the Canadian Army before graduating from UBC in 1949 with a degree in Agriculture. He returned to operate the family farm during which time he served as a Director of the B.C. Coast Vegetable Coop Association for 12 years as an executive of the Federation of Agriculture. Richmond Mayor from 1973 - 1990, he also served as Director of the GVRD for 13 years. In 1990, Gil was named a Freeman of the City.

Wray, Geraldine

  • Person
  • 1927 - 2018

Jack Lowe, Geraldine (Dody) Wray and Gerry Gilker grew up in Richmond in the 1930s and 1940s and belonged to families involved in the horse racing industry. With the aim of documenting the industry, the three determined to collect photographs and stories from others connected to Richmond’s race tracks and horse racing history. Between 1998 and 2001, they put together a collection of memoirs and photographs related to the history of thoroughbred racing in Richmond. Photographs were donated to the Archives on a copy loan basis; copy prints and negatives were made, and the originals returned to donors. With the help of the City of Richmond Archives and the Friends of the Richmond Archives, a selection of these were compiled and published as a book titled “Whispers From The Shedrows.”

Westlu Ratepayer's Association

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1945] - 1965

The West Richmond Community Association has played an important role in community affairs, particularly in lobbying for educational and recreational programs and facilities for the residents of West Richmond. Over the years, this association has operated under several different names. The Archives' holdings contain municipal records concerning the earlier Westlu Ratepayer's Association, dating from shortly after the Second World War. In 1965, the association was reactivated as the West Richmond Community and Ratepayer's Association

West Richmond Community and Ratepayers Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1965 -

The West Richmond Community Association has played an important role in community affairs, particularly in lobbying for educational and recreational programs and facilities for the residents of West Richmond. Over the years, this association has operated under several different names. The Archives' holdings contain municipal records concerning the earlier Westlu Ratepayer's Association, dating from shortly after the Second World War. In 1965, the association was reactivated as the West Richmond Community and Ratepayer's Association.

West Richmond Community Association

  • Corporate body
  • [19-?] -

The West Richmond Community Association has played an important role in community affairs, particularly in lobbying for educational and recreational programs and facilities for the residents of West Richmond. Over the years, this association has operated under several different names. The Archives' holdings contain municipal records concerning the earlier Westlu Ratepayer's Association, dating from shortly after the Second World War. In 1965, the association was reactivated as the West Richmond Community and Ratepayer's Association.

Anderson, W. H. (Henry)

  • Person
  • 1911-1980

W.H. (Henry) Anderson was born October 17, 1911. His parents were G.H. and Lucy Anderson, and he had one brother, Eric, and one sister, Eunice. He attended Bridgeport School and Cambie School. His father had a bricklaying business, Anderson and Sons, and Henry and Eric worked for their father from a young age, eventually taking over the business from him. In 1934, Henry Anderson married Gwen Barker. They had one daughter, Sharon.
Mr. Anderson was best known in Richmond in his political capacity; he served as a councillor from 1958 to 1960, as Reeve from 1960 to 1968, and as Mayor from 1968 to 1973. From 1970 to 1971 he served as president of the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM). Mr. Anderson was also very active in community organizations; he was a member of the Richmond Kiwanis club for 25 years, an honourary member of the Richmond Lions Club, and a member of the Masonic Order. He was involved in the formation of the Richmond Volunteer Fire Department and served for a time as president of the Richmond Hospital Society. In 1979, Mr. Anderson was made Freeman of The Corporation of the Township of Richmond in recognition of his dedication to the community. Henry Anderson died on February 7, 1980, aged 69 years.
Gwen Anderson was also active in the community as part of the Richmond Hospital Auxiliary, the Richmond Hospital Society, and the Richmond chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.).

Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada. Richmond Branch

  • Corporate body
  • 1897 - 2006

In 1897 under the direction of the Countess of Aberdeen, the Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada was inaugurated by Royal Charter in commemoration of Queen Victoria's jubilee. The Richmond Branch of the Victorian Order of Nurses was formed in 1948. The aim of the organization was to provide skilled nursing service to home patients who were under the care of a physician. The order was funded through grants from three levels of government, along with donations from companies and organizations. When the Victorian Order of Nurses' national office restructured the organization in 2006, the British Columbia branch became an independent organization with a new name - Health and Home Care Society of British Columbia.

Patenaude, Val

  • Person
  • [19-?] -

Val Patenaude served as chair of the Richmond Heritage Advisory Committee for four years. Under Bylaw No.4324, the Richmond Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee (RMHAC) was created May 28, 1984. The committee consisted of one member appointed by the Richmond Historical Society, one member appointed by the Steveston Historical Society, and seven appointed by Council (one of whom may be a member of Council). The objectives of the Committee were based upon the Heritage Conservation Branch of the Provincial Secretary's Department and on various well-established Heritage Advisory Committees in the Lower Mainland. There were five defined objectives of the Committee: to establish and maintain an inventory of Richmond's heritage resources, to advise the municipality on heritage planning, to aid in building/demolition permit review, to make recommendations on heritage property acquisitions and in accordance with bylaw 4324, suggest heritage designation in whole or part, suggest forms of compensation for owners of heritage properties, comment on agreements between the municipality and owners of heritage properties. One of the most significant contributions of the Richmond Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee was the production of a detailed inventory and assessment of Richmond's heritage resource base including structures of architectural merit or historic significance, archaeological sites (both historic and pre-historic) landscapes, vistas or natural features which are community landmarks.

United Seniors in Richmond

  • Corporate body
  • 1982 - 1986

The United Seniors in Richmond came together in 1982 to spearhead the drive for a new seniors centre in Richmond. A feasibility study to determine a suitable site for the centre was put to Council in July 1982. The United Seniors in Richmond became known as the Interim Board and was officially dissolved in 1986. They became the Minoru Seniors’ Society on March 21 1986 taking their name from the Minoru Place Seniors Activity Centre which opened on September 27, 1986.

Yule, Tom

  • Person
  • [193-?] -

Tom Yule was involved with athletic clubs in Richmond. He trained boys in Steveston in boxing in the early 1960's.

Thursday Art Group

  • Corporate body
  • [19-?] -

Administrative history unavailable.

The Textile Arts Guild of Richmond

  • Corporate body
  • 1975 -

The Textile Arts Guild of Richmond (TAGOR) is a registered non-profit society. The Guild is located on the second floor of the Richmond Library and Cultural Centre, 7700 Minoru Gate, Richmond. Founded in 1975, TAGOR is committed to advancing and encouraging textile arts.
The Guild’s general meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of every month except July and August. TAGOR’s core activities include knitting, quilting, embroidery and its members take an active role in the community by donating their time and talents to serve others. Among many community projects, TAGOR began an initiative to provide quilts for the inhabitants of Onagawa, a Japanese fishing village, decimated by the earthquake and tsunami of 2011. For further information on TAGOR see their website: https://tagor.ca/

Results 1 to 25 of 20861