- MS 136
- Corporate body
- 1946 -
A meeting was called September 22, 1946 to form a boat club in Canoe with the idea of having a Boat Basin dredged out at the mouth of Canoe Creek.
Jimmy Day was nominated Chair and H. Ripley nominated as recording secretary.
In May 1947 it was suggested the Club buy or lease land from John Lund. The club offered John Lund $100 for a lot 200 x 310 feet – just enough for a Boat Basin.
The club gave John Lund a $10 deposit to hold the property until they could canvas the membership for the rest of the funds. Members were assessed $5 to pay for the land and expenses. They also asked Federated Co-op for a donation.
Members who did not turn up for work parties were also assessed additional fees. Shortly after forming, the club was over scribed and had a wait list in 1947. Residents of Canoe were given priority for membership.
Club members were interested in becoming a Society and hired Don McTavish to do the legal work. The Canoe Boat Club was incorporated December 7, 1948.
The members in 1947 were: Mr. Johnson, T. Andrews, A. Schwandt, Mr. Hillsted, F. Downey, H. Miles, S. Sweinson, H. Timpson, J. Day, J. Carmichael, W. Metcalfe, C. Engle, T. Redmond, E. Wright, A. Baird, J. Lund, W. Haines, W. Dalzell, N. Georges, J. Haines, N.S. Richards, H. Chagun, Dr. Drummond, H. McDiarmid, Captain Jones, H. Ripley, G. Williams, P.A. Gorse, C.L. Hart, K. Simmons, D. Swift, Don Graham and R.V. Haney.
The club members worked on the basin and spent time trying to control the weeds. Members successfully canvassed MP Dave Fulton to have the Government dredge the basin and install pilings. The purchased weed killer and maintained the facility.