Showing 5 results

authority records
Parksville

Plummer and McDermid Families

  • PMA 08
  • Family
  • 1862 - 1976

George Plummer (1862 – 1934) settled in Parksville in 1887. After first living on a property on the north-west side of Englishman River, the Plummers purchased land in 1889 on the south-east side of the river, built their home and established a farm. George Plummer raised livestock and worked on road crews. In addition, The Plummers had a son, Frank (1885-1972) and two daughters, Harriet (Hattie) (1889 – 1976) and Victoria May (1891 – 1974).
Frank Plummer worked as a teamster for the Alberni to Nanaimo stagecoach line and served in World War I. In 1908, Hattie Plummer married Will McDermid. He had arrived in Parksville from Ontario in the early 1900s and had begun work as a teamster at a logging camp at Englishman River. In 1910, the McDermid

Parksville and District Historical Society. Newspapers Collection

  • PMA 10.5
  • Corporate body
  • 1976 -

The Parksville & District Historical Society was established in 1976 as the District 69 Historical Society. In 1991, the Society amalgamated with the Nanooa Historical and Museum Society which had been established in 1981 to collect and preserve archival material and museum artifacts pertaining to Nanoose Bay. In 2004, the Society changed its name to the Parksville & District Historical Society. In 1983, the Society opened Craig Heritage Park. The Knox United Church was the first heritage building moved to the Park. Today, there are seven heritage buildings, including the McMillan House which is a designated Heritage Trust building.

Touzeau Family

  • PMA 17
  • Family
  • 1905 - 1994

Pauline (1913 - 1995) and Ernest (1905 - 1994) Touzeau were longtime residences of Parksville. Ernest was a forestry engineer employed by the Northwest Bay Logging Company at the logging camp in Nanoose Bay. He served as a Commissioner on the Parksville Village Council from 1963 to 1965. For many years, Pauline was a trustee on the District 69 School Board. She was instrumental in the formation of the Society of Organized Services and served on its Executive and its President.

Wilson, Harriet A.

  • PMA 27
  • Person
  • 1869 - 1958

Harriet Wilson (1869 - 1958) was the wife of Rev. Randle Hugh Wilson, the first resident minister of St. Anne’s Anglican Church from 1912 – 1914. She was born in 1869 and moved to Parksville with her husband in 1912. In 1914, Rev. Wilson died and to support her family Harriet Wilson established a nursing home for births on a property adjacent to the Church. She operated the nursing home from 1914 to 1929. A logbook records each of births. Harriet Wilson died in 1958.

Ohs, Robert

  • PMA 31
  • Person
  • 1911-1973

Robert Ohs was born and raised in Port Alberni, British Columbia. He graduated from Victoria Normal School before beginning his teaching career at Hillers School. He taught there from 1938 to 1939. In addition to his teaching, Robert Ohs was involved in coaching the school’s soccer teams. He left teaching to pursue a legal career leading to the establishment of a law office in Port Alberni. He was the solicitor to the Port Alberni City Council before being appointed a provincial judge. Robert Ohs died in 1973 in Victoria.