Showing 20861 results

authority records

Norwest Seniors Curling Club

  • Corporate body

The Norwest Seniors Curling Club was founded in October 1975 by a small group of men, including original members Jack Mackenzie, Toots Phillips, and Bus Lowery. At the time of its creation, the club curled out of the Capilano Winter Rink.

Since its inception, the curling club has actively fund-raised and expanded its membership base. The club has grown considerably from its small beginnings, but has consistently remained very local, engaging mostly in friendly competitions, such as those supported by the Royal Canadian Legion. The Norwest Seniors Curling Club continues to be a successful West Vancouver organization.

West Vancouver Transportation Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1852-1931

The West Vancouver Transportation Company was formed in October, 1909 by John Lawson, Robert McPherson, John Sinclair and W.C. Thompson. They purchased the launch "Aline" for $1900.00 and on November 4, 1909 started regular runs from Hollyburn Wharf to the North Vancouver Ferry Wharf in Vancouver. The service was a combined freight and passenger service.

The West Vancouver Transportation Company was incorporated as a joint stock company on February 22, 1910. The first meeting of the Directors was held on May 17, 1910. John Lawson was elected President, Mr. Robert McPherson Vice President, John Sinclair Director, and W.C. Thompson Secretary Treasurer. By 1911, John Lawson was the major share holder of the company.

The company very soon started experiencing financial difficulties, and not long after West Vancouver was incorporated as a municipality in March 1912, Mr. Lawson and Mr. Thompson approached the council with a proposal that the muncipality buy out the private transportation company. Later that year the West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited was formed. The ferry company was a joint stock company as well, but with the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver as the majority shareholder. John Lawson then became manager of the West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited, for a yearly salary of $500.

At a meeting on August 9, 1915 it was decided to offer all the assets of the company to the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver for $ 8,000. The Municipality agreed to the offer, and it was approved by the shareholders in April of 1916. company as well, but with the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver as the majority shareholder. John Lawson then became manager of the West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited, for a yearly salary of $500.

At a meeting on August 9, 1915 it was decided to offer all the assets of the company to the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver for $ 8,000. The Municipality agreed to the offer, and it was approved by the shareholders in April of 1916. and the district of North Vancouver was approached with an offer to buy the assets of the company. But in February of 1912 West Vancouver had been incorporated as a municipality and the West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited created. West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited purchased the assets of the West Vancouver Transportation Company in 1912. The Ferry Company was a joint stock company as well, but with the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver as the majority share-holder. John Lawson became president of the West Vancouver Ferry Company. At a meeting on August 9, 1915 it was decided to offer all the assets of the company to the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver for 8,000 dollars. The Municipality agreed to the offer, and it was approved by the shareholders in April of 1916.

West Vancouver Ferry Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1912-1916
 The West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited was the successor to the West Vancouver Transportation Company Limited. The company was created in 1912, and was a joint stock company with the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver as the majority share holder.

John Lawson was the first president of the West Vancouver Ferry Company Limited. At the Annual General Meeting on January 25, 1915 he was succeeded by George Hay.

On March 1, 1916 the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver offered to buy the Ferry Company, subject to the passage of a by-law sanctioning this purchase. The by-law was passed on March 16, 1916. The final meeting of the West Vancouver Ferry Company was held on May 8, 1916.

Leyland, Joseph B.

  • Person
  • 1888-1969

Joseph Bentley Leyland, known to all his friends and colleagues as “Joe”, was born in Forest Hill, London, England, on January 11, 1888, the younger of two sons born to John and Fanny Julia Leyland. Joe was educated for nine years in private school and then at St. Mary's College, Woolhampton, Reading, Berks, England. In 1904 he sat for the Civil Service Commission Examination for Assistant Clerkship in the Royal Navy. He passed, but had become interested in Canada and decided to leave England.

Joe Leyland arrived in Halifax on March 17, 1905 with 40 dollars in his pocket and went to Manitou, Manitoba to work on a farm. From March to September 1906 he served as subscription agent for the Winnipeg Telegram in Portage La Prairie; then from September 1906 to April 1907 he worked as a bookkeeper in the law office of Arthur Meighen, who later became Prime Minister of Canada. From April to October 1907 he was bookkeeper in the law office of E.A. McPherson, later Chief Justice for Manitoba. In October 1907, Joe joined the head office staff of the Great West Life Assurance Company in Winnipeg, eventually moving up to Head Office Special Representative, which meant he had to travel regularly across the country, from Montreal to Vancouver.

In 1914, Leyland married Margaretta Barber of Regina, Saskatchewan, a co-worker at the Great West Life Assurance Company. The couple honeymooned in Vancouver, picnicking in West Vancouver and visiting the “Clachan” in Dundarave. They returned to Regina, where their daughter Josephine Frances was born on June 9, 1915. By 1919 they had become permanent residents of West Vancouver, and their waterfront home at 2848 Bellevue Avenue was a popular setting for garden parties, dinners, and special meetings. Their son John (Jack) was born on June 7, 1922.

Joseph Leyland’s municipal career began in 1926 when he was elected President of the West Vancouver Conservative Association. He ran for and won a seat as Councillor in the civic elections, serving as Chairman of Finance, Fire and Publicity.

In 1927, again as Councillor, he was Chairman of Transportation and Health, serving a second term as member of the Cemetery Board, and is credited with naming the Capilano View Cemetery. He won a seat on the School Board the following year.

Joe Leyland took a great interest in community sports and recreation, and was a charter member of the West Vancouver Tennis Club, serving as President in 1929. He was a co-founder of the West Vancouver Regatta, Director of the Children’s Memorial Park Playgrounds, and an honorary member of the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club. Joe was also an early advocate of parks, and one of his dreams was to see Hollyburn Ridge become a provincial park, and Garibaldi a national park. Both eventually became provincial parks.

In 1929 he ran for the position of Reeve of West Vancouver, but was defeated by V.V. Vinson. In 1930 he ran again, this time defeating Vinson and assuming a position he would hold for eleven years -- three years by elections and eight by acclamation.

One of Joe Leyland’s first undertakings was to introduce a Town Planning Policy, changing the Municipality of West Vancouver from a summer camping area to a well-developed residential area with zoning, building, plumbing, and other regulations, and bylaws firmly outlined.

In 1931, he became a Director of the forerunner to the British Columbia Automobile Association, becoming President in 1932, and remaining a Director until 1944. Also in 1931 he began negotiations with British Pacific Properties Ltd. for the development of the British Properties, the development of a golf club, and the construction of a new bridge at the First Narrows crossing. The Lions Gate Bridge was finally opened to traffic on November 12, 1938.

Joe Leyland was appointed to the British Columbia Economic Council in July of 1934, and in 1936 became a Director of the Vancouver Tourist Association.

Leyland’s achievements over the years were recognized with the creation of Leyland Park in October 1939. He was also honoured by being elected President of the Union of British Columbia Municipalities, a noteworthy achievement for the Reeve of such a small community.

In 1940, Leyland stepped down after eleven terms as Reeve of West Vancouver, but his dedication to public service continued in his private life. From 1941 to 1945 he was Executive Director or Chairman of the War Service campaigns. From 1941 to 1944 he was a Director of the Vancouver Entertainment Council, serving as Chairman in 1944. In 1942 he served as Vice President of the Vancouver Council of Social Agencies. From 1942 to 1944 he served as Director of the Vancouver Welfare Association and Director and Vice President of the B.C. Natural Resources and Conservation League. In 1962, he acted as Chairman of West Vancouver’s Fiftieth Anniversary Committee.

Joseph Leyland died on September 25, 1969 at the age of 81. His wife Margaretta died in 1973.

Dawson, Joseph

Joseph Dawson was a labourer in Nanaimo, and worked in various places in B.C. through the year.

Craven, Ruth

Ruth Craven is the daughter of Harry and Kitty Craven, who came to Esquimalt from Portsmouth, England, in 1912. Harry Craven was a plumber at Dockyard.

Smith Memorial School (Port Alberni, B.C.)

Smith Memorial School was established in 1951 in Port Alberni, B.C., as a parochial school. The pastor, Reverend William G. Smith, died in 1950 and Sisters of St. Ann were invited to teach at the school. Sister Mary Sheila was the first superior of the group in Port Alberni. Sisters of St. Ann remained a part of the school until 1986.

Victoria, British Columbia, Board of Trade

Founded in 1863, the Victoria Chamber of Commerce was incorporated in 1878 as the British Columbia Board of Trade. Its purpose was to promote commercial interests in British Columbia. In 1902, the Board changed its name to the Victoria, British Columbia, Board of Trade. In 1921 it again became the Victoria Chamber of Commerce.

Willow Point Community Club

The Willow Point Community Club was founded in 1939 and was a charitable organization that was primarily responsible for managing the Willow Point Hall. The hall was routinely used for various community events such a club meetings, dances, weddings and at one point church services. The club was also responsible for sponsoring a number of other recreational activities in the community of Willow Point including swimming lessons at a local beach and various softball teams. The club undertook a number of fundraising activities including bingo nights, the profits of which were donated to various local sporting clubs, nonprofit organizations, children’s groups and families in need. In 1960 the club purchased 39.1 acres from Elin Thulin in Willow Point and established the Willow Point Park. In 1967 ownership and management of the Park was transferred to the Municipality of Campbell River.

Wong (family)

Wong Kee Soon was a doctor, herbalist, and general merchant in Nanaimo's Chinatown, where he operated Di Sung Tong and Company. His wife was Mah Sze Hun and they had eight children. Di Sung Tong and Co. was also called Keep You Alive Drugstore, and later became the Canton Restaurant. After Wong Kee's death, Mah Sze lived at and operated the restaurant. Three sons are owners of the Diners' Rendezvous Restaurant in Nanaimo.

Church of our Lord

  • Corporate body
  • 1874-

The Church of Our Lord was established on October 29, 1874 by Rev. Edward Cridge. Cridge was sent to the colonial outpost of Fort Victoria in 1855 as Chaplain to the Hudson's Bay Company. Rev. Cridge played a major role in establishing the Anglican church in Victoria and later became Dean of Christ Church Cathedral. Doctrinal differences resulted in Cridge and his large following creating a new congregation in the fall of 1874 and, in keeping with its evangelical principles, the new church affiliated with the Reformed Episcopal Church of America.

The Church Of Our Lord building was completed in 1875 and dedicated on Sunday, January 16, 1876. The land and organ were donated by a founding member, Sir James Douglas, Chief Factor of the Hudson's Bay Company, and later Governor of the Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The church was designed by John Teague, who later became Mayor of Victoria. The building, of board and batten construction in the Carpenter Gothic style, was declared a Federal Heritage Building in 1998 and over the next five years underwent a major restoration.
The Church of Our Lord retains an active presence in the Victoria community to this day.

Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-

Methodist work in the area began in 1884 with the construction of a
church, organization of a congregation and appointment of a minister at the behest of Amos Russ, the grandson of a Native chief and a Christian convert. The initial building that served as the church was an old First Nations dance hall that had been refurbished by the local community. This was the local church for 28 years, after which the Spencer Memorial Church, constructed largely by volunteers in 1912, served as the place of worship. Spencer Memorial Church was named for Dr. J.C. Spencer, a minister and medical doctor who spearheaded its construction. Although the mission was initially started for the purpose of evangelizing to the native peoples, the congregation expanded to include many families of settlers, who immigrated to the area in search of natural resources and work during the 1910s and 1920s. Spencer Memorial Church was renamed Spencer Memorial United Church with church union in 1925. In 1957, in concert with Queen Charlotte City United Church, the congregation of Spencer Memorial United Church purchased Dead Tree Point, which they used for a children’s camp from 1957 to 1969, when the regular summer camps stopped due to a lack of participants. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was found to possess insufficient facilities to continue serving as the area’s church. An analysis of the building found it to be lacking in insulation and basic facilities such as a washroom or kitchen, as well as possessing a much larger sanctuary than was needed to house the now modest congregation. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was closed and a new church named Skidegate United Church was built and dedicated. The building of Spencer Memorial United Church was demolished in 1975.
Methodist services began in Queen Charlotte City in 1908 when the Reverend J.C. Spencer began making trips by boat from the village of Skidegate to Queen Charlotte City. A regular minister was appointed and a church building constructed in 1909. The congregation would expand to include many more families of settlers who came to the area searching for natural resources and farmland during the 1910s and 1920s. A new church building was constructed in 1960-1961; it included improved facilities such as a new kitchen, washrooms, committee room, and entrance hall.

White, Hester

  • Person
  • 1877-1963

Hester Emily White, the eldest daughter of Judge J. C. Haynes, was born in Osoyoos 25 April 1877. In 1888, on his way home from the coast, Judge Haynes was taken ill and died at the Allison Ranch near Princeton. Mrs. Haynes took the children to Victoria for a period of time and then to England to complete their education. On their return, when Hester was approximately 17 years of age, financial problems necessitated the selling of the ranch and the family moved to White Rock. In 1897 Hester married C. A. Lambly, government agent at Osoyoos. In 1898, the government offices were moved to Fairview. Mr. Lambly died suddenly of pneumonia, and Hester and her two boys, Wilfred, and C.A.R. went to live on the Lambly ranch at Peachland. In 1908 she married Dr. R.B. White, who had recently moved his practice from Fairview to Penticton. Two more sons were born, Bill and Jack. In Penticton, Hester was a charter member of the Women’s Institute, and the IODE, served on the school board, and was a member of the Children’s Aid Society. She aided in establishing a cottage hospital in Penticton and contributed to the success of the Okanagan Historical Society. Hester died in Penticton in 1963.

Kruger (family)

  • Family
  • 1829-1939

Theodore Kruger was born in Hanover in 1829, and died in Oliver in 1899. He came from Germany to San Francisco in 1854 and moved to the Fraser River in 1858, where he mined at Boston Bar. When gold was found at Similkameen, Kruger opened a store and stopping place 6 miles south west of Princeton. He then moved on to Cawston, and pre-empted land there with Frank Richter. He soon moved to the old customs cabin in Similkameen and from there was sent to take charge of the Hudson’s Bay trading post in Osoyoos in 1866. He purchased the trading post in 1872 when the HBC closed it. Kruger House became known as the most important stopping place and supply centre on the crossroads of the trails leading to the gold fields of the Kootenay and Cariboo. Mrs. Christanze Kruger was born in Schleswig–Holstein in 1857 and died in Penticton in 1939. She came to Victoria in 1872 and married Theodore Kruger the following year, travelling to the Okanagan by way of the Hope-Princeton trail. She was the only white woman in Osoyoos until Judge Haynes remarried in 1875. After Judge Haynes’ untimely death in 1888, Mr. Kruger became customs officer until his death in 1899.

Beinder, Frank

  • Person
  • 1910-1994

Frank Beinder, often referred to as the father of the college system in B.C. was born in Surrey, England on April 24, 1910. As a young man, Beinder worked in a motorcycle factory and attended night courses in engineering and business. Leaving England in 1928 and arriving in the Canadian West, he worked as a farmhand for three years and completed the first year of an Agriculture degree at the University of Manitoba but returned to England in 1930. After WWII, he returned to Canada with his wife and two children. Employed by Cominco in the field of Public Relations, Frank Beinder lived in Roseland, BC. An active member of the British Columbia education community since 1953, Beinder was elected to the Trail School board (School District No. 11) where he served for twenty years, the last five of which he was Chair. During this time, he was elected President of the British Columbia School Trustees Association (B.C.S.T.A.) for two terms, from 1966 to 1978, Chairman of the Education Committee, BC Chamber of Commerce from 1968 to 1972, director of the Education Research Institute of BC from 1969 to 1972 and was a founding member of the Provincial Teacher Qualification Board. Frank Beinder has been particularly identified with British Columbia college education since its earliest days. He was chairman of the Selkirk College Council from 1970 to 1975, a member of a government appointed Community College Task Force and a founder and Executive Director of the British Columbia Association of Colleges. Frank Beinder's career of public service and leadership in education was unique. His particular concern for the potential of community colleges in and for British Columbia prompted Simon Fraser University to confer upon him an honorary doctorate degree in 1984. Shortly afterwards, Beinder published a history of the development of the British Columbia college system entitled "Recollections of a Layman". His efforts were recognized by the province in 1991 when he was presented with the Order of British Columbia. Frank Beinder died in Richmond, BC in 1994.

Aberle, David

  • Person
  • 1918-2004

David F. Aberle was an American anthropologist and author. Born in 1918 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Aberle completed a PhD in Anthropology at Columbia University in 1947. After returning from a stint oversees during World War II, Aberle began his academic career teaching at Harvard University between 1947 and 1950. Having previously worked in New Mexico studying the Navajo and Hopi, for two summers in 1949 and 1950, Aberle worked for the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs in Window Rock, Arizona where he developed an enduring interest in Navajo culture and land rights in the Southwestern United States. Pursuing extensive field research in Arizona in the 1960s and into the 1970s and 1980s, Aberle studied Navajo kinship patterns, economic development and the Peyote religion among the Navajo. He also became an active participant in the Navajo-Hopi land dispute before the American courts in the 1970s, 80s and 90s which centered on the issues surrounding historical land occupation, removal to Reservation lands, land use and grazing rights between the Navajo and Hopi tribes in Arizona. Aberle collaborated on a variety of exploratory reports on the subject, and participated in an American Anthropological Association Ad Hoc Panel on Navajo-Hopi land claims which made recommendations to the courts and government agencies involved in the case. From 1952 to 1960, Aberle taught in the Departments of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Michigan, moving to Brandeis University in 1961 and to the University of Oregon in 1963. Aberle and his wife, Kathleen Gough Aberle, also a professor at Brandeis and Oregon, left the United States in the wake of some controversy surrounding Gough’s stated position the Cuban Missile Crisis, which Aberle supported. Both Gough and Aberle were known to have Marxist leanings and openly challenged the US’s position toward Cuba and the War in Vietnam and actively sought university postings in Canada. Moving to Vancouver, Aberle taught at UBC in the Department of Anthropology and Society from 1967 becoming Professor Emeritus in 1984. The contributor to a number of volumes, and author of a number of essays and articles, in 1962 Aberle published the book "Chahar and Dagor Mongol Bureaucratic Administration: 1912-1945". In 1966, Aberle published "The Peyote Religion among the Navajo" and in 1974 he published "Lexical Reconstruction: The Case of the Proto-Athapaskan Kinship System" with Isidore Dyen. The majority of Aberle’s academic career was focused on his work with the Navajo in the Southwestern US. David Aberle died in 2004.

Davies, Megan

  • Person

In June and July of 2004, York University professor Megan Davies used funding from Associated Medical Services (Toronto) to conduct field research into the history of BC’s radical homebirth and midwifery movement which emerged in the 1970s and 1980s, linked to feminist, counter-culture, and back-to-the-land impulses. Potential parents allied with a small group of sympathetic health practitioners to create a sustained critique of the standard hospital birthing procedures of the 1950s and 1960s which they regarded as pathologizing and medicalizing the natural process of birth. Often drawing inspiration from aboriginal rituals and practices, these people sought to redefine birth, not as a medical event, but as a spiritual experience meant to take place within the context of home, family, and community. Coming from within these communities, certain women were deemed ‘midwives,’ not by a professional body, but by the nature of their practice and their personal status. These community midwives operated on the margins of medicine, practicing for the most part well beyond the confines of the sometimes antagonistic hospital boards and staff, but intersecting with medicine through formal or informal education, medical practice, and connections with sympathetic doctors and nurses.

Trinity United Church (Nanaimo, B.C.)

  • Corporate body

Trinity United Church has its roots in Wellington and Lantzville Pastoral Charges. After church union, Wellington United Church became a Pastoral Charge in its own right. Between 1929 and 1931, Wellington was affiliated with Cedar. In 1931, the Nanaimo Suburban Pastoral Charge was formed and included Wellington as a preaching point, as well as Lantzville, Brechin, Chase River, Cedar, South Wellington, East Wellington and Extension. By 1952, the yearbook listed only three points: Brechin, Lantzville, and Wellington. In 1959 Brechin built a new church and became a stand alone Pastoral Charge. Lantzville and Wellington joined together and formed their own Pastoral Charge, operating as a joint-charge.

In 1967 there were joint meetings consisting of members from both Wellington and Lantzville and in 1970 they became one congregation with a Council and four committees elected from both groups. Worship services were held in both Lantzville and Wellington, now as two parts of a single congregation. In 1977 the St. Philips U.C. building was sold to the Anglican Church and the congregation integrated fully with the Wellington U.C.

In 1975 plans began for an ecumenical center in between the United Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Wellington U.C. became Trinity United Church and, with Trinity Catholic Church, dedicated the Nanaimo Ecumenical Centre on February 4, 1979.

Card, Charles Ora

  • Person
  • 1839-1906

Charles Ora Card was born November 5, 1839, in Ossian Allegany, New York. He and his family moved to Utah in 1856 and eventually settled in Logan, Cache Valley. Charles was an active member in the militia and achieved the rank of major. He and his father, Cyrus, were one of the first settlers to engage in industry by starting two saw mills. Charles became an expert sawyer. In 1886, he and three other men searched British Columbia and Alberta to find a place to start a Mormon colony. They chose a spot by Lee’s Creek, now named Cardston. Charles moved to Canada in 1887, starting another saw mill. After settling in Canada, Charles also oversaw the construction of irrigation ditches, his greatest accomplishment being the construction of the Kimball Lethbridge Canal. He died September 9, 1906. He left thirty-nine journals dating from December 11, 1871 to July 9, 1903 describing his experiences in Canada. During his travels, he met Judge Haynes from Osoyoos.

Results 126 to 150 of 20861