Showing 20861 results

authority records

Okanagan Society for the Revival of Indian Arts and Crafts

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-

The Okanagan Society for the Revival of Indian Arts and Crafts (OSRIAC) was formed in 1941 to ‘stimulate and record authentic native arts, legends, songs, dances, and dramatic art amongst the Okanagan Indians, compile a schedule and pictorial record of authentic pictographs and petroglyphs, encourage ethnological studies among young Indians, arrange exhibits of Indian arts, crafts, and drama, guide the efforts of Indians so that their products have real artistic and market value, keep in touch with similar organizations in Canada and the United States of America, facilitate advanced studies in cases of pupils showing outstanding ability where such study should have to take place outside of the reserve, and publish leaflets, books, and articles in harmony with the work of the society’. The society was formed primarily to supplement work being done by Alice Ravenhill of the Victoria Society for the Furtherance of BC Indian Arts and Crafts and to assist Anthony Walsh in promoting the interests of his pupils at the Inkameep Indian Day School on the Osoyoos Indian Reserve. Eventually one of the pupils, Sis-hu-ulk, had his artwork displayed at exhibitions in London, Paris, Vienna, Prague, Dublin, and across Canada. Other students gave an open-air dramatic performance on the occasion of the opening of Thunderbird Park in Victoria, as well as plays, songs, and dance performances in the Okanagan. Anthony Walsh resigned in 1942 and the society was instrumental, after a period of two years, in urging the appointment of another teacher with improved living quarters. Unfortunately, no effort was made to re-establish the creative work that had been initiated by Mr. Walsh. From that point on, the society broadened its activities by writing a brief entitled ‘Native Canadians – A Plan for the Rehabilitation of Indians’, submitting it to the BC premier in 1944. The following publicity resulted in briefs being submitted by OSRIAC in 1946 to the federal Joint Committee appointed to examine and consider the Indian Act.

Curt’s Cartage

  • Corporate body
  • 1935-1948

Curt’s Cartage operated in Osoyoos from 1935-1948, trucking fruit, vegetables, lumber, gravel, sand, topsoil, fill, cement, general freight, heavy equipment, and garbage.

Smythe (family)

  • Family

Edward Baring Smythe (Ted) was born in Kingston, Ontario in 1886. His son, Edward Baring Smythe was born in Mexico in 1923, but was registered as a British subject. He came to Canada in 1931, the year his mother died, and lived in Montreal with his brother John and father Edward, who worked at the bank of Montreal until 1935, when his father was transferred to Sault St. Marie. Edward Sr. (Ted) died in 1941. Edward and John moved to Kingston, Ontario to live with an aunt until he joined the air force circa 1942. He became a warrant officer first class and served overseas in England, India, and Burma until 1945. Upon discharge, Edward moved to Victoria where he died in 2005.

Faris, Bob

  • Person
  • 1923-2001

Robert Andrew Faris was born in Vancouver, BC on December 25, 1923 to Kathleen “Kitty” (nee Litch) and Andrew Faris. He served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II, met and married Celia Eileen Brown in London, England, and settled in Vancouver where Bob worked as a traveling hardware salesman for 19 years. Faris entered the ministry in his 40s. Ordained by BC Conference in 1967, his charges included Hazelton (1967-1970); First United, Victoria (1970-1973); Central Mainland Marine Mission (1973-1978); Bella Bella (1978-1983); and Sunnyside United Church, White Rock (1983-1990). He continued as Minister Emeritus at Sunnyside, and served with Celia as caretaker at Camp Kwomais in White Rock until retirement in 1993. Bob spent his retirement with Celia in Victoria, where he died in 2001.

Anderson, Val

  • Person
  • 1929-2006

The Reverend Valentine Jackson Anderson (known also as Val Anderson) was a United Church Minister, professor of Pastoral Theology at Union College (now Vancouver School of Theology), avid community volunteer and a Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.

Val Anderson was born on February 14, 1929 in Saskatchewan. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1950, a Diploma in Theology from St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon in 1953, and a Bachelor of Divinity in 1963, also from St. Andrew’s College. Val also did post-graduate work in Princeton and Boston (1963-1964).

Val married Joyce, who is also from Saskatchewan, on July 16, 1952 when they were both student ministers at St. Andrew’s College.

Valentine Anderson was ordained in 1953 in Nipawin, Saskatchewan. As a minister, he served in three United Church pastorates in Saskatchewan – Smeaton (1953-1955), Gravelbourg (1956-1958) and Regina (1959-1962). He was also a weekend supply minister while attending graduate school in Princeton and Boston (1963-1964). He was also a part-time associate minister at Japanese Nisei UC, at South Arm UC in Richmond and at Knox UC in Kerrisdale. Val served as Minister of Grace United Church and Marpole United Church, the latter being his final pastorate and where he became Minister Emeritus of Marpole United Church.

Val started the first Conference insert in the UC Observer and chaired the Vancouver South Presbytery, where he was a member for 40 years.

He spent seven years at Union College as professor of Pastoral Theology (1965-1971). During his time there, Union College amalgamated with Anglican Theological College to form Vancouver School of Theology (VST).

Val sat on and chaired numerous committees, both lay and as a UC Minister.

Val was involved in numerous ecumenical and inter-faith activities. He was the first coordinator of P.O.E.M. (People’s Opportunities in Ecumenical Action). He helped to found the Vancouver Inner-City Service Project, the Airport Interfaith Ministry, the Pacific Interfaith Citizenship Association, edited the Canadian Ecumenical News for eight years. Val also helped to found Canadian Ecumenical Action (now Multi-faith Action) of which he was the Coordinator from 1997-1980. He was also the first Executive Secretary of the Vancouver Council of Churches (1972-1976) and served on The Ecumenical Forum of Canada.

Val was also involved in numerous community service projects. He was the founding chair of the Vancouver Food Bank, chaired the Pacific Youth and Addiction Services Society, and was a founding Board member of Brock House, Elders House and the South Granville Seniors Centre. He helped to organize the BC and Vancouver Council for the Family. He served on the Federated Anti-poverty Group, The United Way of Vancouver, the Pacific Youth and Family Addiction Society and the Vancouver City Council Youth Committee. He also chaired the Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood Association, the Marpole Citizens Planning Committee and the Marpole Historical Society.

Val received many awards and honours in recognition of his contributions to his community. Among them was an award from the Social Justice Foundation of BC as well the Good Neighbour Award from the Greater Vancouver Association of Neighbourhood Houses.

Val was elected to the British Columbia Legislature in 1991 and served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for 13 ½ years.

Valentine Anderson died on March 30, 2006 in Vancouver, B.C.

Dominion Experimental Farms

  • Corporate body

The Dominion Experimental Farms employed Walter Graf to observe and record temperature and precipitation at Osoyoos, BC.

Osoyoos Fire Brigade

  • Corporate body

The Osoyoos Fire Brigade was organized by the Board of Trade with Percy Bates as chief, Ralph Lewis as assistant, and Delbert Long as captain. The Penticton Fire Department sold their Rio fire engine to Osoyoos for $600. Most of the fires were chimney fires; water barrels were recycled from the Osoyoos Bakery. After WW II, army surplus clothing served as uniforms. Two major fires were at the Osoyoos Evaporation Company and the Jorde Sawmill. By 1953, another fire truck was added just in time to fight a second sawmill fire north of the town. Mr. Bates retired in 1966 and was followed by Howard Compeau as acting chief until Paul Balogh took over.

Alberni Valley United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

Alberni Valley United Church formed as a result of an amalgamation of St. Andrew's and First United Churches (Port Alberni, B.C.) In June, 2001, First and St. Andrew's became one pastoral charge known as Alberni Valley United Church. They maintained the two congregations until they were physically amalgamated in the former First United Church building in April, 2002.

Chree, Anna

  • Person
  • 1907-2002

Anna Chree was born Anna Sass on August 3, 1907 near Vienna, Austria. Her father Danylo emigrated to the north end of Winnipeg in 1910, with the rest of the family following in 1912. Anna graduated from business college in Winnipeg in 1924, and then worked at a variety of secretarial jobs in Philadelphia, Toronto, Timiskaming, and Montreal. Her longest held position was eight years with the Canadian National Railway.

Anna arrived in Vancouver in June 1937. After World War II she also spent some time working in London, England, at Canada House. She married William Ian Chree in May 1951 at St. Francis-in-the-Wood Anglican Church in West Vancouver. Ian Chree worked on sound systems for stage productions through Vancouver, especially Theatre Under the Stars.

Anna Chree was a woman of many talents. She had an excellent memory for names and events, kept a diary written in shorthand, and was an acccomplished Cordon Bleu trained cook who enjoyed music and theatre. However, her main passion was roses. She founded the West Vancouver Garden Club in 1962, and was president of the West Vancouver Rose Society for a period of time.

She also served as secretary on the Air Pollution Committee, Chair of the Environment Committee of the North and West Vancouver Council of Women, and was actively involved in other community organizations including the Vancouver Folk Society, Canadian Folk Society, Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver Camera Club, Opera Guild, Chrysanthemum Society, Vancouver Parks Board, West Vancouver Social Credit Association, and West Vancouver Little Theatre Guild.

Another of Anna Chree's passions was the establishment of a fountain in West Vancouver, for which she lobbied beginning in 1960. Her desire to do something lasting and beautiful for the community she had lived in for almost 50 years, led her to bequeath her estate to the municipality of West Vancouver. She chose the general elements of the fountain before she died which will be constructed in a plaza adjacent to the expanded aquatic and community centre.

Ian Chree died on November 9, 1968 at the age of 59. Anna Chree died in March 2002 at the age of 94.

British Pacific Properties Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1931-

British Pacific Properties Limited was created as a company in 1931 by the Guinness brewing family to purchase, and receive the development rights to 4,700 acres of land on Hollyburn Ridge. The ‘Highlands’ on West Vancouver’s upper levels became known as the British Properties, an exclusive residential development in West Vancouver. In return for these rights, British Pacific Properties agreed to build a crossing from Vancouver to West Vancouver, and through the First Narrows Bridge company constructed the Lions Gate Bridge which opened in November 1938.

British Pacific Properties Limited also committed to building the Capilano Golf and Country Club on 165 acres which opened for play in the summer of 1937. The final phase was the commercial development of the property at Taylor Way and Marine Drive. Park Royal, the first regional shopping centre in Canada covered 125,000 square feet when it opened in September 1950, anchored by Woodward’s Department Store. Park Royal was named after an area in London in which one of the Guinness family breweries was located.

The shopping centre went through various phases of expansion on both sides of Marine Drive with the south mall opening in 1963 followed by expansions in the 1970s. The black office tower, Kapilano 100, was built in 1974. Park Royal Shopping Centre underwent subsequent renovations after the closing of Woodward’s in 1993, and Eaton’s in 1999. British Pacific Properties Limited started to develop its Whitby Estates property in 1996. In 1999, British Pacific Properties Limited formed British Pacific Enterprises, an in-house building division and turnkey service for custom home development.

Scott, Eileen, b. 1919

  • Person
  • 1919-

Eileen M. Scott was born on May 15, 1919. She attended Lord Byng High School until Grade 10, and in 1941 completed a four year art course at the Vancouver School of Art. Due to the scarcity of jobs in the art profession, she took a business course at the Duffus School of Business and was later employed with the London and Western Trust Company, as well as with the British Properties as a private secretary. Scott later worked as a payroll clerk for the Municipality of West Vancouver until her retirement in 1963.

After her retirement, Scott refocused her interest in the arts by studying photography. She was an active member of the Vancouver Pacific Camera Club which included professional members. While photography became her main focus, in 1982 Scott wrote a book titled "Porridge and Old Clothes," This work documents Scott's early life in Vancouver, and the lives of her ancestors who were Scots from the Lowlands who settled in Manitoba in the early 1880s.

Hollyburn Heritage Society

  • Corporate body
  • 2000-present

In the 1990s Gordon and Iola Knight developed concern regarding the condition of the Hollyburn Ski Lodge at First Lake. In 1997 Gordon Knight and Bob Tapp joined together to raise money to repair the Hollyburn Ski Lodge, as the foundation was severely rotten, the roof leaked, and there were other structural problems. The Knights and Tapps launched their campaign to "Save First Lake Lodge" at the 1997 Pioneer Skiers' Reunion on Mount Seymour. In 1998 they sold a Hollyburn Ski Lodge coffee cup to raise interest in the Lodge. At this time the Knights also began to collect historic photographs of life on Hollyburn Mountain.

In the Spring of 2000, the Tapps and the Knights formed the Hollyburn Heritage Society, with the mandate to collect the history and artifacts of skiing and other mountain activities on Hollyburn Mountain and to promote the restoration and preservation of the Hollyburn Ski Lodge. Their organization received society status in April 2000, and in the spring of that year, the Hollyburn Heritage Society, with the support of Wayne Booth, Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd, was awarded $2567 from the federal government as part of the Canada Millenium Partnership Program to film the Pioneer Skiers' Reunion held at First Lake and the Hollyburn Ski Lodge. Bob Cooper produced the film, titled "Hollyburn, A Place of Memories". The film was sold on the mountain in VHS format. The Hollyburn Heritage Society has acquired numerous collections of photographs, particularly through the initiative of historian Don Grant.

Allan, Jeanie

  • Person

Jeanie Allan grew up in West Vancouver, with her parents and brother John. Her grandparents lived in West Vancouver in the early 1900s. Jeanie was educated at local schools, and graduated from Inglewood High School. As a teenager she was active in local events such as May Days, and belonged to the West Vancouver Girl Guide Company. Jeanie graduated as a nurse from Vancouver General Hospital in 1945. She married Albert Cox and they had two children, David and Eleanor.

Meglaughlin (family)

  • Family
  • 1920-1984

Edward "Ted" Meglaughlin was born on May 25, 1920 in North Vancouver. Ted's parents, Isaac Tom and Lilian Meglaughlin were from Birmingham, England. Isaac Tom Meglaughlin was one of the founders of the Freemasons King David Lodge No. 93. He also worked as an agent for the BC Electric Agency (1949) and BC Electric Railway (1948). Tom and Lilian lived at 1081 17th Street in West Vancouver until Tom's death in 1950.

In 1943 Ted Meglaughlin married Sophie Zielski. Their first home was at 552 S. Boundary Road in Burnaby. Sophie's parents, Adolph and Magdalene Zielski, were the proprietors of the Wonder Bakery on 640 East Georgia Street in Vancouver from 1940 to 1946. They moved to 1425 Inglewood Avenue in West Vancouver in 1945. They also ran the Ferndale Coffee Shop (1947 to 1949) as well as the Industrial Cafe (1948) and the Normandy Cafe (1950) for a time. Adolph and Magdalene had four children: Edward (married Mona), Sophie, Walter (married Lorna), and Wanda. Adolph and Magdalene retired from the food industry in 1951.

Ted Meglaughlin was a machinist by trade, working for Reliance and Richards engineering in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Ted and Sophie lived at 1188 Inglewood Avenue, West Vancouver. Their son was named Gary Richard Meglaughlin (b. 1945, d. May 29, 1984, age 39, North Vancouver).

West Vancouver Lions Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1940-1989

The West Vancouver Lions Club was chartered in May 1940. The Club held many shows and events over the years such as the Minstrel Shows and annual Gymkhanas. During WWII, they built bleachers at Ambleside Park for spectators. The Club also organized a Narvaez Pageant to commemorate the anniversary of the first caucasian man to set foot in West Vancouver in 1791, and built a monument for the event at the entrance to Ambleside Park. The Lions were also involved in the annual May Day Parade, and organized an annual Easter Egg Hunt at John Lawson Park.

For a period of time, the West Vancouver Lions Club bought the Hollyburn Pavillion and operated it. Eventually it was sold to the Federal Government and became the site of the post office.

Nixon, James (family)

  • Family

The James Nixon family lived on Twin Islands near Cortes Island.

Results 76 to 100 of 20861