- Corporate body
Formed in 1967, under the auspices of the Hudson's Hope Historical Society.
Formed in 1967, under the auspices of the Hudson's Hope Historical Society.
The first of the Thomas Crosby mission boats was launched in 1912, replacing the Homespun, a small gasoline launch that had been in use since the Udal was lost in 1909. The Thomas Crosby I, II, and III served on the mainland for the Port Simpson District of the Methodist Church up to church union in 1925, being known at that time as the Crosby Mission. Under the United Church, the Mission became a pastoral charge, first called the Queen Charlotte (Marine) Pastoral Charge and then renamed Central Mainland Marine Mission in 1929. The Thomas Crosby III, built in 1923, was replaced with the more seaworthy Thomas Crosby IV in 1938, which in turn was replaced by the Thomas Crosby V in 1967, the Sea Island II being chartered for a brief period while the Thomas Crosby V was being built. Missionaries who served on the Crosby include R.C. Scott, Peter Kelley, R.H. McColl, John Towers, Bob Scales, Oliver Howard, Jack Gosse serving as a lay minister, Bob Faris and Gordon Taylor. In the 1970s, the Presbytery created an Oversight Committee to act as board for the Mission, and eventually most of the responsibility for the Mission's funding was transferred from the Presbytery to the Division of Mission (B.C.). Through the 1970s and 1980s, the Mission reported to both the Presbytery and D.M.C. (B.C.) through the Committee; during this period the staff was fairly large as well, with separate positions for the Master and the Missionary, as well as an engineer, deckhands and a nurse. Although the Thomas Crosby V was the only marine mission operating in the region in the 1980s, the cost of operating the Mission was becoming more and more of a concern to those involved, and several studies were conducted into the possibility of finding more cost-effective ways to conduct its work. Late in 1990, Prince Rupert Presbytery voted to recommend that the ship be sold, with a view to finding more cost effective ways of reaching the same constituency, although the 1992 report to Conference describes it as having had a ship in 1991 as well. Since then the Mission has relied on air travel to reach its points of call.
The Burns family lived in West Vancouver from 1916 to 1978. In his youth, John Arthur (Jack) Burns (1881-1974) was involved in track and field, baseball, and boxing. He worked in composing in the Toronto News offices before moving to Vancouver in 1910, where he worked at The World Newspaper. Later he moved to the News Herald and then the North Vancouver Review and the Vancouver Sun, retiring in 1960. In his earlier years in Vancouver he continued his involvement with sports, playing on a baseball team.
Jack Burns married Maria Lisbeth Becker (nee Weiberneit) who had a daughter, Lillie, from a previous marriage. Jack and Maria had a daughter Mary Lisbeth, later Mary Chapman. Jack was a member of the West Vancouver Ratepayer's Association during his early years in West Vancouver. The Burns family lived at 1434 Argyle Avenue in West Vancouver from 1916 to 1978. Jack Burns died in 1974 at the age of 93, and his wife in 1978 at the age of 91.
Maria Lisbeth was born in Goldap, East Prussia, Germany on July 25, 1887. She travelled to England to be a nanny for an English family for a period of time, then took a ship to Montreal and a train to Vancouver in 1909. There she met and married Joseph Becker, also from Germany. Joseph was a blacksmith in the early logging days around Vancouver and also the owner of a bar at 52 Cordova Street named "The Fountain Grill". Together they had one daughter, Lillie, on March 17, 1912 (d. March 1945). When the marriage ended, Joseph left for Portland, Oregon. Maria met and married Jack Burns soon after.
Mary Burns married James Chapman of Capilano in 1941. They had two children, Marilynne and John Graham Chapman. Marilynne married Terry Mitchison and also had two children, Nicole and Paul Mitchison. They both live in West Vancouver. John Graham married Theresa La Bonte and they had three sons, Blair, Trevor, and Grant Chapman and one daughter Breanna Chapman.
A.W.A. Phair was a commercial photographer in Lillooet, B.C., 1922-1933.
The Division of Continuing Studies assumed the functions of the Evening Division of Victoria College in 1963. The unit has had several name changes: Evening Division, 1963-69; Division of Continuing Education, 1970-78; Division of University Extension, 1978-85; Division of University Extension and Community Relations, 1986-93; Division of Continuing Studies, 1993-present. In 1978, the Office of Summer Session was amalgamated with the Division. The Division administered Communications and Public Relations from 1984 to 1987. In 1994, the title of Director was changed to Dean. The Directors/Deans include: Robert T.D. Wallace, 1963-71; Laurence E. Devlin, 1972-79; Glen Farrell, 1979-86; Laurence Devlin (Acting), 1986-88; D. Gordon Thompson, 1988-93; W. Michael Brooke, 1993-96; Wes Koczka, 1996-2007; and Maureen MacDonald, 2007 - present.
Arthur Herbert Crocker was a ship-mate and later an engineer for Canadian Pacific. The Crocker family resided in Victoria, B.C.
Edwin William Boulton was a Marine Engineer for the Royal Navy. Boulton is listed in the Royal Navy Lists (1886) as Assistant Engineer from 1842 until retirement in 1872.
In keeping with the Canadian archival tradition of "total archives," the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver's Archives holdings comprise corporate and community records. With the incorporation of the municipality in 1912, the creation and collection of corporate records began. From 1980, the West Vancouver Museum & Historical Society collected community archival material from residents, transferring these records to the District in 1994 with the opening of the West Vancouver Museum and Archives in the Gertrude Lawson House. The Archives continues to accept, preserve and make available both corporate and community records.
The Charles Hopkins family were pioneer settlers in Bentinck, [Ontario?], and later were early residents of the Otter area of Langley, B.C.
H. Ferdinand Sieward was born in Germany and, after a marine career in Nova Scotia, arrived in Victoria, B.C., in 1886., He worked for Hall, Goepel and Company and subsequently owned two sealing schooners, the Dora Sieward and the Mascotte.
G. S. Conway was an engineer for the British Pacific Properties Limited and for the First Narrows Bridge Company LimitedGilbert S. Conway was a civil engineer for First Narrows Bridge Company Limited and British Pacific Properties Limited. He played a significant role managing the construction of Lions Gate Bridge, overseeing the work of three hundred men, and also in the development of the Capilano Estates residential area. From 1937 to 1938 he kept detailed diaries in which he recorded daily weather conditions and progress of the work on Lions Gate Bridge, and included newspaper clippings relating to the project. In later years, Gilbert Conway worked in West Vancouver as an independent contractor, consulting on a variety of engineering matters including cost estimates, development plans, investigations and reports, construction supervision, and waterworks installation.
Knox United Church, Parksville began its life as Knox Presbyterian Church. Presbyterian work in the Parksville area began in November, 1909, when a meeting was held after a servive to discuss establishing a Presbyterian church in Parksville. Services were initially held in a home in Errington. They formed a board to look after the building of a new church, which was begun in 1911 on the Island Highway, and was dedicated the following year. For the first two years, student ministers came from Wellington to lead services. An ordained minister was appointed to serve the Parksville Mission Field in 1913. In November, 1915 a Session was constituted for the Parksville Field, with members being elected from Parksville, Errington, Hilliers and Qualicum Beach. By 1917, Coombs was also part of this field.
The Parksville Mission Field came into church union in 1925, but the Field was reorganized in 1927. From 1927 to 1942, Parksville Pastoral Charge included Coombs, Errington and Nanoose. St. Andrew's United Church Errington was opened and dedicated on Feb. 16, 1930 as a part of the Parksville Pastoral Charge. In 1942, the Parksville-Qualicum Pastoral Charge was formed, and also included Errington and Coombs. This remained until 1953. Between 1953 and 1961, Knox United, Parksville was supplied from the Nanaimo Indian Pastoral Charge, which included Parksville, Nanoose and Errington. In 1961, the Parksville Pastoral Charge was formed, and included Nanoose and Errington until 1982. The church sold its property on the Island Highway in 1978 and for a year the congregation worshipped in the Roman Catholic Church in French Creek. In Februrary, 1979, a new church building was dedicated. In 1982, the preaching point at Errington was discontinued and the Parksville Pastoral Charge became a one point Pastoral Charge.
The Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire, Duncan Lawson Chapter was formed on April 22, 1920 at a meeting in Ambleside Hall. An application to become a chapter within the National Chapter of Canada was sent to IODE headquarters, and the affiliation certificate was signed on May 13, 1920.
The West Vancouver chapter was named after Duncan Lawson (1897-1918), the son of West Vancouver pioneers John Lawson (1860-1954) and Christina Lawson (1866-1955). Duncan Lawson was killed in action during World War I. Christina Lawson and Duncan Lawson's sister, Gertrude Lawson (1892-1989), were among the founding members of the Chapter.
The Duncan Lawson Chapter's motto was "Loyal Service", and it worked with schools and community groups to provide service and assistance.
The last meeting of the Duncan Lawson Chapter was held on February 13, 1978. The membership had been declining, and it was decided that there no longer was a sufficient basis for the continuation of the Chapter.
J.H. Perry Department Store was built around 1890 and it was one of the major department stores in Ladner, BC. It was first owned by H.J. Hutcherson and he sold the store to S.W. Walters in 1912. After Walters, Mr. J.W. Atkey bought the store in 1918 and he sold the store to Mr. R.F. Young who in turn sold it to Mr. J.H. Perry in 1934. Up until that time, the store included a grocery department and was known to many as the "White Store". In 1965, Gordon Peacock bought the store but retained the well known Perry name. The store operated, under different owners, until it was demolished in 1989.
The Saanich and the Islands Constituency Association was established in ca. 1964; the predecessor associations were the Cordova Bay N.D.P. Club (1962-ca. 1964) and the Cordova Bay C.C.F. Club (1952-1962). In 1989 the boundaries of the constituency changed once again, and the Association became the Saanich North and the Islands N.D.P. Constituency Association.
Neil Swainson was a retired Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria who conducted research on the Columbia River Treaty for his book, "Conflict on the Columbia" (1979).
The Richard and Ann John family were pioneer settlers in North Saanich since 1858, establishing the Glamorgan Farm. The Johns had five children, Joseph, Richard, James, David, and Elizabeth. David John married Margaret Michell, a member of another pioneer family in Saanich. They operated the Aberavon Farm and had six children, William, Elizabeth, Mabel, George, Emily Jean, and Joseph.
June Leahy was born in Calgary, Alberta, in 1917. Her family moved to Victoria where she grew up, then met and married Bill Leahy (1913-1975). The couple moved to Duncan in 1948, and continued migrating up the east coast of Vancouver Island. They lived in Nanaimo for 20 years (1950-70), and then moved to Campbell River where they built their own house. Both Bill and June were self-taught photographers. The Leahys had three children: Dick, Susan and Ann. June Leahy became a freelance photographer the year after her daughter's birth and continued during the rest of her Nanaimo stay (11 years, 1959-1970). In addition to photography, she worked on Frank Ney's elections. Bill Leahy was in the automotive supply business.
Toni Onley was a well-known Canadian landscape artist. Born in Douglas, Isle of Man, he immigrated to Ontario with his family in 1948. After stops in Penticton, Mexico, Vancouver, and England, he joined the University of British Columbia’s Department of Fine Arts in 1967, and remained there until 1976. He was known for his landscape paintings depicting B.C., the Arctic, Japan, China, India, and other locations. Onley was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1999. A hobby pilot, he died in 2004 after crashing his plane on the Fraser River.
Toyo Takata was born in or near the Japanese Tea Garden in Gorge Park. His father and uncle owned the Tea Garden and ran it until April, 1942, when they were expelled from Victoria and sent to detention camps in the British Columbia interior. Toyo Takata spent the war years in Slocan and later settled in Toronto, where he worked in the printing business.
In 1872 the Canadian Department of Marine and Fisheries and awarded a contract to Arthur Finney to build a lighthouse at Point Atkinson for the sum of $4250. The lighthouse was in operation in 1875 within the jurisdiction of the Department of Marine, Ottawa, under the terms of the B.N.A. Act, section 91.
The first lighthouse keepers were Edwin Woodward and his wife Ann. Finding the area too isolated, they moved to Ontario after five years, and the Weldwoods, who succeeded them stayed less than a year. Walter Erwin was the light keeper from 1880 to 1910. In 1889 a steam fog alarm was installed at Point Atkinson, and Thomas D. Grafton was hired as Erwin's assistant. When Erwin retired in 1909, Grafton took charge of the lighthouse and fog alarm and remained until 1934, when he was accidentally killed by an explosion of dynamite in his hand while bait fishing. Ernest Dawe became lighthouse keeper in 1935 and served until 1960.
In 1912, the original wooden lighthouse was replaced by a reinforced concrete tower, designed by Colonel William Patrick Anderson of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, and the surrounding area was designated a park. In 1942, Point Atkinson became a military station for the duration of World War II. Searchlights and cannon were installed, and cedar barracks in the forest behind the lighthouse housed eighty soldiers. In 1963 an electrical motorized system was introduced, and in 1974 the fog alarm was replaced with airchime foghorns
Gordon Odlum served as lighthouse keeper from 1963 to 1974; Bob Ferriday from 1974 to 1975; and Jim Barr from 1975. Donald Graham was the last lighthouse keeper, serving from 1980 to 1996 when the station was completely automated. In 1994 Point Atkinson Lighthouse was declared a National Historic Site.
The Port Moody Historical Society was established on June 18, 1969. The mandate of the society was to preserve the history of Port Moody. In 1977 the society purchased the Port Moody CP railway station for one dollar. The building was then moved to Rocky Point Park and declared a heritage building. In 1979 the society established the Museum Restoration Committeee. The building was restored and currently houses the Port Moody Museum and Archives.
The West Vancouver Historical Society began as a committee within the Rotary Club of West Vancouver. Several active Rotarians, including Rupert Harrison, Hugh Johnston, Harvey Hill, and Thomas Erling-Tyrell, saw the need for preserving the history of West Vancouver. The concept was discussed at a series of meetings with the Mayor, Municipal Manager, and other officials of the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver. The Rotary Club was encouraged to proceed and the members approved the proposal on April 30, 1980. Start-up funding was assigned and an application for incorporation under the Society Act was prepared.
The West Vancouver Historical Society was incorporated by the Rotary Club as a non-profit society under the Society Act of British Columbia on July 17, 1980. An interim executive committee of Rotarians was appointed to organize a series of events as part of a membership campaign. The old West Vancouver Ferry “Hollyburn “ was chartered for a memory cruise and the first sixty members were signed up. A series of lectures and slide shows attracted sufficient new members during 1981 that the Rotary committee stepped aside and call for an election of officers from within the society membership. The first annual general meeting of the Society was held January 25, 1982. Bernard (Bernie) G. Holt, recently retired Senior Secondary School Principal, was elected President of the Society.
In 1984 the name of the West Vancouver Historical Society was changed to West Vancouver Museum and Historical Society (authorized September 12, 1984). This reflected a change in orientation. Initially the major purpose of the society had been to collect archival material, and only secondarily museum artifacts. The change in name indicated that the society would now also collect museum artifacts and start working towards the creation of a museum and archives in West Vancouver. The Society worked in partnership with the Municipality in the collection, preservation, storing, and housing of historical materials. Any items donated to the society became the property of the Municipality (the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver).
In March of 1983 the Historical Society began publication of a newsletter. The original title of the newsletter was Histrionics, later changed to History-Onics. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform the membership about the activities of the Society, and to publish vignettes related to the history of West Vancouver.
The Historical Society grew rapidly to embrace more than five hundred members. A fund raising program was implemented to obtain suitable housing for the growing collection. The Society was instrumental in securing the former home of Gertrude Lawson as a site for the West Vancouver Museum and Archives. The Society succeeded in raising more than $500,000, which, with Municipal, Provincial, and Heritage partners, led to the establishment of the West Vancouver Museum and Archives. The building was extensively renovated, and officially dedicated as the home of the West Vancouver Museum and Archives on June 29, 1992.
By 1993 professional operating staff was in place and the community Museum & Archives was a reality. The Society was able to revert to a support role by forming a volunteer pool for the facility and fund raising activities. At the annual general meeting on March 25, 1993 the name was changed back to West Vancouver Historical Society.