Showing 22201 results

authority records

Spanish Development Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-2006

The first meeting of the Spanish Development Society was held in the Rialto Hotel in November, 1974. Town Council approved the Spanish motif December, 1974. The society was incorporated in December 1975. The Spanish theme was created as a vehicle for beautification because the terrain in Osoyoos is similar to that of Spain. It was thought that Osoyoos would benefit from the increased winter tourism experienced by towns such as Leavenworth, Washington. The Spanish theme was incorporated into the municipal hall in 1974 and later into storefronts and homes. The Don Carlos logo was approved in 1976. As fundraisers, the society sponsored the Irish Rovers in 1976, many bingos, and the second World Wrist Wrestling championships in 1977. They erected Spanish themed signage at the
town entrances, and beautified the town hall with a fountain and plaque. The society was disbanded in 2006.

Kruger, Christanze

  • Person
  • 1857-1939

Mrs. Christanze Kruger was born in Schleswig–Holstein in 1857 and died in Penticton in 1939. She came to Victoria in 1872 and married Theodore Kruger the following year, travelling to the Okanagan by way of the Hope-Princeton trail. She was the only white woman in Osoyoos until Judge Haynes remarried in 1875.

McGregor, Gordon

  • Person
  • 1948-1986

Born in Penticton, B.C., Gordon Douglas McGegor graduated from UBC with a B.A. in French and Theatre in 1970. He completed graduate work at Princeton (M.A. 1970, Pd.D. 1978). After teaching French at Colgate University, he joined the Department of French at UBC in 1981 where he remained until his death in 1986.

Osoyoos Co-operative Fruit & Vegetable Growers

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-2008

The Osoyoos Co-op Packing House was built by Harvey Boone in 1930, with an addition built in 1931. During the period described in the fonds, members of the Co-op were shipping produce including tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, and plums to BC Tree Fruits in Kelowna, BC. Over the years, the co-op merged with other co-ops on the area, becoming the Okanagan-Similkameen Co-operative Growers Association. In 2008, along with other independent fruit packing companies, they amalgamated with BC Fruit Packers (Kelowna), Okanagan North Co-operative (Winfield) and Sunfresh (Osoyoos) to become Okanagan Tree Fruits Co-operative.

Royal Canadian Legion, Cowichan Branch No. 53

  • Corporate body
  • 1926-2006

The Cowichan Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion was established in 1926. Prior to this date there was an active branch of the Great War Veterans Association in Duncan, but by April 1926 this branch was winding up and prepare to dissolve, in preparation for forming a local branch of the new organization, the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Services League. By December 1926 the Legion had more than 200 members.
In 1930 the Legion purchased the Whidden Building at 134 Government Street. In 1939 the Legion erected new quarters at this same location. Due to the growth of membership, on August 13, 1960 the Legion opened its large, new quarters at 575 Trunk Road, Duncan.
The local Legion played an important role in giving relief to veterans and their families who were experiencing distress and unemployment, and helping members to qualify for pensions. The Cowichan Legion supported numerous charities over the years. It supplies bursaries for Grade 12 graduates. In recognition and promotion of Remembrance Day in the schools, the Legion sponsores its annual Remembrance Day Literary and Poster contents.
By 2003 the Cowichan Legion building needed repairs and was considered too large and impractical given cost of repairs. The organization faced declining membership, together with higher costs due to taxes, maintenance and staffing. In March 2003 the Legion sold its building staying on as tenants. In November 2004, the Legion left the building, after 44 years. Officials stated they intended to move into a smaller less expensive facility. The new quarters of the Legion are now located at 25 Kenneth Street, Duncan

Hansen, Hans

  • Person
  • 1859-1939

Hans Hansen was born in Huso, Tonsberg, Norway in 1859. In 1877, as a teenager, he jumped ship in B.C. and lived in the Vancouver area. By 1891 he had established a crown land grant at Port Neville and established a homestead.

During these early years he (and later family) resided in New Westminster were he worked as the circulation manager for the World Newspaper.

In 1897 he married widower Elizabeth Flintham and she along with her young son Billy, from her previous marriage, took up residence at Hans’ Port Neville homestead.

Unfortunately, 18 months after their marriage Elizabeth passed away. Her son Billy, was adopted by and raised by Hans.

Hansen married Cathinka Marie Wikner (also spelled Kathinka or Katinka) on August 3, 1903 and they went on to have four children Karen, Edith, Lilly and Arthur.

In 1895 Hans established the 1st Post Office at Port Neville. Hans Hansen died in 1939.

Smith, George (family)

  • Family
  • 1878-1994

George James Smith was born in Greenspond, Newfoundland on August 18, 1910, one of two sons of Darius Roy and Rebecca Jane Smith. Darius Smith was a Master Mariner and captain of sailing vessels in the North Atlantic. In late 1910, Darius Smith moved with his family from Greenspond to Vancouver, where he found employment on coastal freighters and in the whaling and halibut fishing industry. In the spring of 1912, the family moved to West Vancouver when Darius Smith became employed as a ferry captain for the West Vancouver Ferry Company. The first Smith family home was a tent under a tree at the Southwest corner of Marine Drive and 19th Street, followed by a house located at 1459 Gordon Street, then at 660 13th Street. Except for serving in the Merchant Marine during World War I, he worked for the ferry company until his retirement in 1945. Known and beloved by thousands of West Vancouver ferry commuters, Darius Smith died on July 8, 1949 at the age of 70.

George Smith was educated in West Vancouver at Vancouver Technical School, and at the University of British Columbia. As a young man, he worked as a firefighter, a logger for the Capilano Timber Company from 1928 to 1931, and as a construction worker on Lions Gate Bridge.

After serving with the Calgary Highlanders during World War II, George embarked on a life-time career as professional land surveyor in B.C. He surveyed land for the British Properties, and in 1946 joined the survey firm McElhanney & McRae, later becoming a senior partner. For the next 30 years, George Smith was regarded as the province's best known land surveyor for route surveys, which included railways. He worked on numerous major projects in the province including the Harmac Pulp Mill, the Alcan Kemano Road Project, and the Cassiar Stewart Highway.

George Smith married Daisy Sinclair, and they had one son, James. His wife Daisy died on April 27, 1947 at the age of 38, and George Smith remarried in 1949 to Phyllis Hurdle. Throughout his life George was an avid sportsman who enjoyed skiing on Hollyburn Mountain, and after surveying, his interests included politics, history, geography, forestry, and fishing. George Smith died on September 5, 1994 at the age of 84.

Johnson, Goodwin

  • Person
  • 1876-1962

Goodwin Gothard Johnson was born in Olso, Norway on September 22, 1876, the son of John J. and Mary Myra Johnson, both of Olso. His family immigrated to Wisconsin in the United States, where Goodwin received his formal education. He began his career in the lumber business with James D. Lacey and Company in Chicago, where he worked from 1906 to 1917. He married Elyne E. Walin of Nebraska on July 25, 1911. They had one son, Goodwin Walin, and one daughter, Caroline Louise.

In 1917, Goodwin Johnson became Managing Director of the Capilano Timber Company, a position he held until his resignation in 1930. During this time he was active in professional associations, serving as President of the B.C. Loggers Association from 1921 to 1923, and President of the British Columbia Shingle Manufacturers Association from 1928 to 1930. He also served as Director and Member of the Executive Board of Seaboard Sales, and Seaboard Shipping Company Limited.

After leaving Capilano Timber Company he formed his own import and export company - Goodwin Johnson Limited in Vancouver, and Goodwin Johnson Inc., in the United States. His Vancouver office was in the Metropolitan Building. An avid golfer, he was a member of the Capilano Golf and Country Club in West Vancouver, and Washington Athletic Club in Seattle. Goodwin Gothard Johnson died in Vancouver on April 7, 1962 at the age of 85.

Cruickshank, Jack

  • Person
  • 1899-1984

John (Jack) A. Cruickshank was born in Vancouver on March 5, 1899. In the winter of 1917, he and a group of young men from Vancouver decided to set up a summer camp in West Vancouver. The other members of "The Hounds" as the group called themselves, were Harry Thorley, Wally Hunter, Bill Strang, John McGillivray, and Herb Ballantyne.

The next summer they rented a vacant lot at 17th Street and Fulton Avenue, the current site of the Municipal Hall, for $10 a month, where they erected a large tent with a wooden framework. During the week they commuted by ferries from their Vancouver homes, and on the weekends enjoyed the local dances and stayed overnight.

In the spring of 1920, the Hounds moved to Dundarave at 2540 Bellevue, where they again set up a tent with a ten-foot porch on the front. A number of similar camps in this, and other West Vancouver areas made for many lively times. When friends visited they often went out to Sandy Cove for a picnic on the beach. In 1920, the group organized the West Vancouver Amateur Swimming Club, and in 1921 put on the first Dundarave Regatta, a successful swimming competition that continued for several years. At the end of 1924, Herb Ballantyne and Jack Cruickshank, the most regular members of the Hounds decided to give up their camp.

On November 12, 1924 Jack Cruickshank married Elizabeth (Bess) Holt. In the spring of 1926, they settled in West Vancouver in a double garage that Jack had converted into a temporary home, on property they had purchased from Bess Holt's mother. After the birth of their first two children, Jack Holt in 1927, and Isabel Diane in 1930, the Cruickshanks built a permanent home on the property. They lived at 2586 Marine Drive until December 1955, then moved to a house on Mathers Avenue, before retiring to Vernon to manage a summer resort. The Cruickshanks continued to spend their winters on the North Shore. John (Jack) A. Cruickshank died on July 4, 1984, at the age of 85.

Hugo, Jacqueline

  • Person
  • b. 1927

Jacqueline (Jackie) Hugo was born in Vancouver, BC in 1927. In the 1940s she studied privately, and at the Vancouver School of Art. In addition to British Columbia, she has painted in Eastern Canada, Europe, and Mexico.

Hugo drew her inspiration from BC's mountain scenery, and worked with pastels to create the luminous cool effects which are her trademark. She prefered the gentle texture of pastels above other media to depict the subtle colours of wooded mountains, quiet shorelines, and rustic buildings, and because they are easier to backpack into remote locations. Although she concentrated mainly on scenery, her work also included portraits and still life.

Jacqueline Hugo's paintings are in private collections in Canada, Finland, England, the US, Australia, West Germany, South Africa, India, and the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.

Roblin, Kenneth

  • Person
  • 1896-1978

Kenneth Allison Roblin was born in 1896. He was known as Kenneth "Kayo / K.O." Roblin, and his wife's name was Myrna D. Their son, Paul K. Roblin, graduated from West Vancouver High School in 1958.

The family originally camped in West Vancouver but eventually bought a lot at 26th Street and Marine Drive in the early 1930s. In 1937 the Roblin family lived at 2862 Highbury, and moved in 1941 to 2613 Mathers Avenue. Kenneth worked for the Province newspaper as a salesman and wrote a small publication for the campers in West Vancouver during the Regattas. He was also a member of the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers from 1942 to 1945. Kenneth Roblin died on September 22, 1978 at the age of 82.

Central Mainland Marine Mission

  • Corporate body

The first of the Thomas Crosby mission boats was launched in 1912, replacing the Homespun, a small gasoline launch that had been in use since the Udal was lost in 1909. The Thomas Crosby I, II, and III served on the mainland for the Port Simpson District of the Methodist Church up to church union in 1925, being known at that time as the Crosby Mission. Under the United Church, the Mission became a pastoral charge, first called the Queen Charlotte (Marine) Pastoral Charge and then renamed Central Mainland Marine Mission in 1929. The Thomas Crosby III, built in 1923, was replaced with the more seaworthy Thomas Crosby IV in 1938, which in turn was replaced by the Thomas Crosby V in 1967, the Sea Island II being chartered for a brief period while the Thomas Crosby V was being built. Missionaries who served on the Crosby include R.C. Scott, Peter Kelley, R.H. McColl, John Towers, Bob Scales, Oliver Howard, Jack Gosse serving as a lay minister, Bob Faris and Gordon Taylor. In the 1970s, the Presbytery created an Oversight Committee to act as board for the Mission, and eventually most of the responsibility for the Mission's funding was transferred from the Presbytery to the Division of Mission (B.C.). Through the 1970s and 1980s, the Mission reported to both the Presbytery and D.M.C. (B.C.) through the Committee; during this period the staff was fairly large as well, with separate positions for the Master and the Missionary, as well as an engineer, deckhands and a nurse. Although the Thomas Crosby V was the only marine mission operating in the region in the 1980s, the cost of operating the Mission was becoming more and more of a concern to those involved, and several studies were conducted into the possibility of finding more cost-effective ways to conduct its work. Late in 1990, Prince Rupert Presbytery voted to recommend that the ship be sold, with a view to finding more cost effective ways of reaching the same constituency, although the 1992 report to Conference describes it as having had a ship in 1991 as well. Since then the Mission has relied on air travel to reach its points of call.

Burns (family)

The Burns family lived in West Vancouver from 1916 to 1978. In his youth, John Arthur (Jack) Burns (1881-1974) was involved in track and field, baseball, and boxing. He worked in composing in the Toronto News offices before moving to Vancouver in 1910, where he worked at The World Newspaper. Later he moved to the News Herald and then the North Vancouver Review and the Vancouver Sun, retiring in 1960. In his earlier years in Vancouver he continued his involvement with sports, playing on a baseball team.

Jack Burns married Maria Lisbeth Becker (nee Weiberneit) who had a daughter, Lillie, from a previous marriage. Jack and Maria had a daughter Mary Lisbeth, later Mary Chapman. Jack was a member of the West Vancouver Ratepayer's Association during his early years in West Vancouver. The Burns family lived at 1434 Argyle Avenue in West Vancouver from 1916 to 1978. Jack Burns died in 1974 at the age of 93, and his wife in 1978 at the age of 91.

Maria Lisbeth was born in Goldap, East Prussia, Germany on July 25, 1887. She travelled to England to be a nanny for an English family for a period of time, then took a ship to Montreal and a train to Vancouver in 1909. There she met and married Joseph Becker, also from Germany. Joseph was a blacksmith in the early logging days around Vancouver and also the owner of a bar at 52 Cordova Street named "The Fountain Grill". Together they had one daughter, Lillie, on March 17, 1912 (d. March 1945). When the marriage ended, Joseph left for Portland, Oregon. Maria met and married Jack Burns soon after.

Mary Burns married James Chapman of Capilano in 1941. They had two children, Marilynne and John Graham Chapman. Marilynne married Terry Mitchison and also had two children, Nicole and Paul Mitchison. They both live in West Vancouver. John Graham married Theresa La Bonte and they had three sons, Blair, Trevor, and Grant Chapman and one daughter Breanna Chapman.

Phair, A.W.

A.W.A. Phair was a commercial photographer in Lillooet, B.C., 1922-1933.

Results 26 to 50 of 22201