Showing 986 results

authority records
Family

Smith, George (family)

  • Family
  • 1878-1994

George James Smith was born in Greenspond, Newfoundland on August 18, 1910, one of two sons of Darius Roy and Rebecca Jane Smith. Darius Smith was a Master Mariner and captain of sailing vessels in the North Atlantic. In late 1910, Darius Smith moved with his family from Greenspond to Vancouver, where he found employment on coastal freighters and in the whaling and halibut fishing industry. In the spring of 1912, the family moved to West Vancouver when Darius Smith became employed as a ferry captain for the West Vancouver Ferry Company. The first Smith family home was a tent under a tree at the Southwest corner of Marine Drive and 19th Street, followed by a house located at 1459 Gordon Street, then at 660 13th Street. Except for serving in the Merchant Marine during World War I, he worked for the ferry company until his retirement in 1945. Known and beloved by thousands of West Vancouver ferry commuters, Darius Smith died on July 8, 1949 at the age of 70.

George Smith was educated in West Vancouver at Vancouver Technical School, and at the University of British Columbia. As a young man, he worked as a firefighter, a logger for the Capilano Timber Company from 1928 to 1931, and as a construction worker on Lions Gate Bridge.

After serving with the Calgary Highlanders during World War II, George embarked on a life-time career as professional land surveyor in B.C. He surveyed land for the British Properties, and in 1946 joined the survey firm McElhanney & McRae, later becoming a senior partner. For the next 30 years, George Smith was regarded as the province's best known land surveyor for route surveys, which included railways. He worked on numerous major projects in the province including the Harmac Pulp Mill, the Alcan Kemano Road Project, and the Cassiar Stewart Highway.

George Smith married Daisy Sinclair, and they had one son, James. His wife Daisy died on April 27, 1947 at the age of 38, and George Smith remarried in 1949 to Phyllis Hurdle. Throughout his life George was an avid sportsman who enjoyed skiing on Hollyburn Mountain, and after surveying, his interests included politics, history, geography, forestry, and fishing. George Smith died on September 5, 1994 at the age of 84.

Thompson (family)

  • Family
  • 1855-1938
 The Thompson family were active pioneers in West Vancouver who contributed to the development of West Vancouver, and establishment of the West Vancouver Ferry Company and the West Vancouver Municipal Transportation Department.

The patriarch of this pioneering family was W.C. (William Charles) Thompson who was born near Cambridge, England on January 21, 1855. In 1875 he married Rachel Matilda Carr. After suffering the deaths of their first two children in infancy, they immigrated to Canada in 1879 and settled in Ontario. Their third child, Charlie was born in 1880, but sadly Rachel died soon after the birth. W.C. Thompson suffered a profound depression which lifted when he met Grace Lawson who became his second wife in 1881. In 1887 they had their first child Harry, and would have four more children together, although two died tragically in infancy.

W.C. Thompson was a successful businessman in Ontario when his wanderlust was reawakened after hearing about the scenic beauty and opportunities in B.C. from Grace’s brother – John Lawson. He sold his business interests in Ontario, and after a cold and tedious trip arrived in Vancouver in March 1909. Delighted with the countryside and climate, W.C. Thompson and his family settled in West Vancouver. He found that selling land in B.C. was easier than selling lumber in Ontario, and first in partnership with John Lawson, then on his own account bought and sold many blocks of land in the area at substantial profits.

W.C. Thompson became active in public affairs and was one of the principals in the formation of West Vancouver as a separate municipality and in the building of the first Municipal Hall. He and three other men, including John Lawson, formed The West Vancouver Transportation Company in October 1909, which operated the ferry and bus system. W.C. Thompson and his family lived in a large gracious house at 2058 Argyle that featured a bay window of curved glass overlooking English Bay, and hot water heating. He was active in community life, headed Church committees, and was also a member of the first West Vancouver School Board. During World War I, he continued to be very active in the District managing the construction of road bridges and waterworks which was highlighted by the opening of Marine Drive to Caulfield in 1915.

His wife Grace died in 1920, at the age of 63. In his latter years W.C. Thompson was a keen motorist and enjoyed touring which he did with his third wife Anne Case, whom he married in 1922. His children – Charlie, Harry, James, William, Robert (Bert), Florence, and their families also contributed to the development of West Vancouver. They worked on several projects including municipal electric and water systems, setting up West Vancouver’s first service station at 14th and Marine Drive, and establishing the West Vancouver Girl Guides. W.C. Thompson died on December 24, 1938, at the age of 83.

Smythe (family)

  • Family

Edward Baring Smythe (Ted) was born in Kingston, Ontario in 1886. His son, Edward Baring Smythe was born in Mexico in 1923, but was registered as a British subject. He came to Canada in 1931, the year his mother died, and lived in Montreal with his brother John and father Edward, who worked at the bank of Montreal until 1935, when his father was transferred to Sault St. Marie. Edward Sr. (Ted) died in 1941. Edward and John moved to Kingston, Ontario to live with an aunt until he joined the air force circa 1942. He became a warrant officer first class and served overseas in England, India, and Burma until 1945. Upon discharge, Edward moved to Victoria where he died in 2005.

Meglaughlin (family)

  • Family
  • 1920-1984

Edward "Ted" Meglaughlin was born on May 25, 1920 in North Vancouver. Ted's parents, Isaac Tom and Lilian Meglaughlin were from Birmingham, England. Isaac Tom Meglaughlin was one of the founders of the Freemasons King David Lodge No. 93. He also worked as an agent for the BC Electric Agency (1949) and BC Electric Railway (1948). Tom and Lilian lived at 1081 17th Street in West Vancouver until Tom's death in 1950.

In 1943 Ted Meglaughlin married Sophie Zielski. Their first home was at 552 S. Boundary Road in Burnaby. Sophie's parents, Adolph and Magdalene Zielski, were the proprietors of the Wonder Bakery on 640 East Georgia Street in Vancouver from 1940 to 1946. They moved to 1425 Inglewood Avenue in West Vancouver in 1945. They also ran the Ferndale Coffee Shop (1947 to 1949) as well as the Industrial Cafe (1948) and the Normandy Cafe (1950) for a time. Adolph and Magdalene had four children: Edward (married Mona), Sophie, Walter (married Lorna), and Wanda. Adolph and Magdalene retired from the food industry in 1951.

Ted Meglaughlin was a machinist by trade, working for Reliance and Richards engineering in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Ted and Sophie lived at 1188 Inglewood Avenue, West Vancouver. Their son was named Gary Richard Meglaughlin (b. 1945, d. May 29, 1984, age 39, North Vancouver).

Nixon, James (family)

  • Family

The James Nixon family lived on Twin Islands near Cortes Island.

Kruger (family)

  • Family
  • 1829-1939

Theodore Kruger was born in Hanover in 1829, and died in Oliver in 1899. He came from Germany to San Francisco in 1854 and moved to the Fraser River in 1858, where he mined at Boston Bar. When gold was found at Similkameen, Kruger opened a store and stopping place 6 miles south west of Princeton. He then moved on to Cawston, and pre-empted land there with Frank Richter. He soon moved to the old customs cabin in Similkameen and from there was sent to take charge of the Hudson’s Bay trading post in Osoyoos in 1866. He purchased the trading post in 1872 when the HBC closed it. Kruger House became known as the most important stopping place and supply centre on the crossroads of the trails leading to the gold fields of the Kootenay and Cariboo. Mrs. Christanze Kruger was born in Schleswig–Holstein in 1857 and died in Penticton in 1939. She came to Victoria in 1872 and married Theodore Kruger the following year, travelling to the Okanagan by way of the Hope-Princeton trail. She was the only white woman in Osoyoos until Judge Haynes remarried in 1875. After Judge Haynes’ untimely death in 1888, Mr. Kruger became customs officer until his death in 1899.

Fletcher (family)

  • Family

John Howard Fletcher was born in 1889 in Bradford, Yorkshire, England. When John was five, his father moved the family to Canada where he had bought some land. John's father and the two oldest boys built a six room frame house on the newly purchased land. The house was five miles north of Armstrong, BC. When John was fifteen he left the interior for Vancouver where he worked as a farm hand. In 1904 he found a job as a messenger boy for the Western Union Telegraph Co. Later, his brother Herbert found John a job as an apprentice with the Mitchel-Courtney Electrical Company.

During Canada's first real depression, John found a job at one of Vancouver's first all motion picture theatres, The Royal. Although he had never run a projector, John quickly learned from watching another projectionist. He then worked at various other theatres until he bought his own projector and started running his own shows. However, it only lasted for three weeks because he ran out of shows. John then returned to Vancouver to his old job. He continued as a projectionist as well as studying at Sprott-Shaw college. When he graduated, he took a job as a secretary for a railway survey company. This entailed a horse-back trip into the interior. He later also surveyed the Alaska-Yukon boundary.

In 1914, war was declared and John headed back to Vancouver to enlist. He was a private, first class, of the 62nd Battalion. After five months of training John headed for Halifax. After just leaving the harbour, the munitions ship blew. John completed more training when he arrived in England. In the field, he worked as a sapper or field engineer.

After the war, John travelled to Jamaica where he was offered the job of drying bananas. After eight months in Jamaica, he contracted jaundice and was told to leave Jamaica.

John then returned to Vancouver and bought a small theatre. June 5th, 1925, John married Amelia (Alma) Eleanor Snider, a cashier at the Paramount Film Exchange. Bert Snider, Alma's father, offered to help pay to build a new theatre for the young couple. The theatre became the Hollyburn Theatre in West Vancouver which opened in June, 1926. John and Alma by then had seven children. They resided at 2283 Haywood Ave.

During WWII, John became ill and sold the theatre and took a job as a projectionist at the Lonsdale theatre. After recovering from his illness, John bought the old Music Box theatre at the corner of Fraser and Kingsway and changed its name to Kingcrest.

In the 1950s, John bought a lot in North Vancouver and began building another theatre. However, during this time, television became popular and theatre attendance dropped. The Kingcrest subsequently closed and John sold the unfinished theatre.

John served as Reeve of West Vancouver from 1951-1952 and Councillor in 1946 and 1948. He was also involved in the West Vancouver Chess Club. He was the first president of the BC branch of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes and Moving Picture Machine Operators of the United States and Canada.

John Howard Fletcher passed away February 20, 1983 in West Vancouver at the age of 93. His wife, Alma, passed away August 30, 1982 in North Vancouver.

John and Alma's children were Gordon Joy Fletcher, Doreen Eleanor Fletcher, Roy Howard Fletcher, Mavis Alma Fletcher, John Albert Fletcher, Hazel Grace Fletcher (b. October 21, 1932, d. May 2, 2003), and Gloria Mae Fletcher.

Cunningham, Edison and Gladys

  • Family

Dr. Edison Rainey Cunningham (known also as “Dr. Ed”) and Dr. Gladys Story Cunningham (“Dr. Gladys”) were medical missionaries affiliated with the United Church of Canada, Board of Foreign Missions. Edison left Vancouver in October 1922, followed by Gladys in August 1923, to serve in West China. They were married in September of 1923 in Shanghai. After a number of years of relocating to Chungking Sze, Tseliutsing, Jenshow, Chengtu, Beludin, and Peking, the couple settled in Chengtu.

Edison Cunningham was born July 5, 1892. He did his preliminary education in Winnipeg and received his BA from Wesley College and the University of Manitoba in 1915. He graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Manitoba in 1921. In 1927 Dr. Cunningham did his post-graduate training at Peking Union Medical College in the Departments of Ophthalmology and of Otolaryngology. During the period from October 1929 to June 1930, he trained at the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, and graduated with a Diploma in Ophthalmological Medicine and Surgery from the Royal Colleges of Medicine and Surgery, in England, 1930.

Gladys Story was born May 25, 1895 in Oakland, Manitoba. She moved with her family to Vancouver in 1910, and at the age of 20, graduated from McGill University with honours in the Faculty of Arts in 1915. Gladys studied Medicine at the University of Manitoba and graduated with first class honours and the Gold Medal in surgery, in 1923. While serving as a missionary, she continued her studies – first at the University of Peking and then at the University of London, England. From London, she obtained the degree of Master of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Edison specialized in ophthalmology medicine and surgery while Gladys specialized in gynecology and obstetrical work. During their first years in China, they both worked as practitioners and instructors at Peking Union Medical College. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, Edison taught in the Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine and Dentistry, West China Union University in Chengtu, Szechwan. This university was an institution of the United Church of Canada. Edison eventually became Professor and Head of that Department. During that period (1925-1931), he also served as an ophthalmologist and otolaryngologist at the following hospitals in Chengtu: the Men’s Hospital, the Women’s Hospital, and the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital. Gladys served as Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at West China Union University.

The Cunninghams returned to Canada in 1951, following the Communist takeover of China. From that time on, the Cunninghams ceased serving the United Church as missionaries, although they continued their affiliation with the church as members of the Shaughnessy Heights congregation in Vancouver. Together, they opened a successful medical clinic at 2515 Burrard Street. Both retired from their practice in 1962. Gladys then taught undergraduate nurses at the Vancouver General Hospital for several years. She died in 1972. Dr. Edison Cunningham died in 1975 in Vancouver.

Hansen (family)

  • Family

The Hansen family established a homestead at Port Neville, B.C. in 1891 and went on to operate a post office and store from that location.

Hans Hansen was born in Huso, Tonsberg, Norway in 1859. In 1877 he immigrated to B.C. and initially lived in the Vancouver area and later in New Westminster, but by 1891 he had applied for a crown grant and established a homestead at Port Neville. In 1897 Hans married widower Elizabeth Flintham and she along with her young son named Billy, from her previous marriage, took up residence at the Port Neville homestead.

Unfortunately, 18 months after their marriage Elizabeth passed away. Her son Billy, was adopted by and raised by Hans.

Hansen married Cathinka Marie Wikner (also spelled Kathinka or Katinka) on August 3, 1903 and they went on to have four children Karen, Edith, Lilly and Arthur.

In 1895 Hans established the 1st Post Office at Port Neville which was later operated by his daughter Karen (from 1920 to 1956). In 1940, Edith Hansen married Harold Bendickson of Hardwicke Island. In later years Edith went on to write a series of newspaper articles regarding her family and their experiences living in Port Neville.

Hans Hansen died in 1939 and his wife Kathinka in 1965.

Brealey (family)

  • Family

George Albert Brealey was a teacher and the first principal of Pauline Johnson school, built in 1923. He and his wife Ester married in 1903 and had one daughter, Hazel Brealey. They lived at 1295 Fulton Avenue. Hazel Brealey was later Hazel English and had a daughter named Linda Gail McMillan English. She later married Ian Malcolm Douglas Fox. George Brealey died in 1961.

Caulfeild (family)

  • Family
  • 1843-

Francis William Caulfeild was born in England on August 29, 1843. He was the son of Reverend Edward Warren Caulfeild and Millicent Hellicar. He was educated at Rugby School and Wadham College, Oxford, and spent his early life bringing up his four surviving children (Francis Edward Bunbury Caulfeild died at the age of 2), writing poetry, painting, carving, and travelling. He married Anne Charlotte Eliza Bunbury, daughter of Commander George Bunbury, on June 11, 1868. In 1898, while touring Canada with his daughter (Dorothy Caulfeild [b. 1874, d. March 19, 1948]), he first visited West Vancouver, arriving on the shores of what was then known as Skunk Cove, tucked behind Point Atkinson. Caulfeild bought the property and began his project to develop the community now known as Caulfeild in the style of an English village with a village green, an ivy-covered village church, and winding, narrow lanes following the contours of the land.

Francis William Caulfeild retired to England and died in London on March 6, 1934 at the age of 90. His son, Francis Wade Caulfeild (b. January 25, 1872, d. November 7, 1947), had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy. He married Katherine Ann Hawkshaw, daughter of John Clarke Hawkshaw, on June 18, 1898. Vice-Admiral Francis Wade Caulfeild was decorated with the award of Order of the Crown of Italy. He was Founder and President of the Association of Retired Naval Officers in 1925. He was also invested as a Commander, Order of the British Empire (C.B.E.) in 1936. After his retirement as Vice-Admiral, he and his son Wade Toby Caulfeild (b. June 24, 1902, d. 1991) raised a memorial to Francis Caulfeild in the form of a large, black anchor accompanied by a plaque situated on Pilot House Road in Caulfeild. His other children were Cicely Caulfeild (b. March 14, 1899, d. 1985), and Ann Katharine Caulfeild (b. February 19, 1907, d. 1992). Francis Wade Caulfeild died on November 7, 1947 at the age of 75.

Wade Toby Caulfeild married Philippa Mary Brocklebank, daughter of Captain Henry Cyril Royds Brocklebank, on June 29, 1935. He died in 1991. Wade Toby Caulfeild was educated at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England. He was also educated at New College, Oxford University. Wade Toby was a director of the Antofagasta Railway. His children are James Alexander Toby Caulfeild (b. March 30, 1937) and Charlotte Antonia Caulfeild (b. April 17, 1939).

Some members of the Caulfeild family continue to reside in West Vancouver.

Colpitts (family)

  • Family

The Colpitts family was a pioneer family in West Vancouver. With family roots in New Brunswick dating from 1775, Ella Teare (née Colpitts) and her husband John Teare (known as Jack) moved to Vancouver and then to West Vancouver in 1908. Standford Russell Colpitts (known as Russell) moved shortly after in 1908, soon followed by Ella's brother Frank Payson Colpitts (known as Payson) in 1910, and then by Payson's wife, Janet (née Robertson).

Jack Teare was West Vancouver's first police constable, and Ella Teare was West Vancouver's "Lady with the Lamp," bringing medical aid and assistance to the sick. They lived at 1244 Inglewood Avenue and had one daughter, Harriet Murcilla Teare, who married Russell Colpitts in 1911. Russell worked for the McNair and Fraser Logging Company for a short time before being hired as the first foreman of the roads department when the West Vancouver Council was established. Harriet and Russell had a son named George Standford (known as Stan) on February 17, 1912, and a daughter named Winnifred (Winnie) May on June 1, 1913.

Payson Colpitts worked for a number of years in the logging industry in New Brunswick and the state of Maine before moving to West Vancouver where he worked for McNair and Fraser Logging Company, on the PGE Railway construction, and in Lyall's Shipyard in North Vancouver. Eventually he worked for the West Vancouver Board of Works and later the West Vancouver School Board as janitor of Hollyburn School for twenty-five years. Payson and Janet lived at 1263 Fulton Avenue and raised eight children: Helen, Frank, Evelyn, Lorne, Eunice, Mary, Agnes, and Ella. Members of the Colpitts family continue to live in West Vancouver.

Colville (family)

  • Family

Hiram Colville started a transportation service for skiers in 1946-1947 up Hollyburn Mountain. He and other family members ran this operation from Dundarave. The family also owned and operated "The Forks" rest stop and restaurant, which was the final stop for trucks travelling the route up Hollyburn Mountain.

Burr, W.H. and E.B. (family)

  • CR-122
  • Family
  • [ca. 1890]-1914

William Henry (Harry) Burr began farming on Crescent Island in Delta in 1891. Harry was the son of William Henry Burr (1831-1896) and Sarah Jackson ( - 1884). The father, W.H. Burr came to British Columbia in 1858 at the time of the gold rush, and brought his family out from Ontario a year later. Harry's father preempted land in Delta in the 1870s and supported Delta incoporation in 1879. W.H. and Sarah had 3 sons: Joseph Benjamin (1855-1926), William Henry or Harry (1860-1923), and John Jackson (1863-1938), and 3 daughters: Susan Elizabeth (1858-1958), Sarah Maria (1864-1934), and Isabella Adeline (1867-1867). The three sons all bought property in Delta and farmed and raised their families there. Harry purchased District Lots 96a, 148 and 147; Joseph, District Lots 140 and 142; and John, District Lot 144 and 146 (from 1906 Tax Assessment Roll).

Harry Burr married Edith Blanche Mitchell (1879-1937) in 1899. Blanche was the daughter of Delta pioneer Nathaniel Mitchell and sister of Harry Mitchell who farmed on Crescent Island. In 1906 Harry built an imposing Victorian style home on the farm that he and Blanche called "Burrvilla". Burrvilla was a lively social centre for community gatherings, holding teas and weddings in its formal gardens and sponsoring a hunt club. The farm had its own steamship landing and between 1911 and 1913 a post office. Blanche and Harry had one child, a son named Albert Edward (1901-1969). Edward married Anniemay Smith (1904-1996) in 1925. They raised their 5 children at Burrvilla: William Henry, Terrence, Madeline, Sylvia, and Bernadine. In 1974 the farm was sold to developers. The house was designated a heritage building and moved from its original location at the corner of River Road and 62B Street to Deas Island for restoration and preservation.

Gibson (family)

  • CR-144
  • Family
  • [ca. 1910] - 1981, primarily 1929-1941

William Arthur Gibson (1887-1947) was born in Dalton, England, coming to Canada in 1911 and to Delta in 1925. He became well known as a farmer and seed grower, winning awards for his peas and wheat. William Gibson married his wife Adelaide (Ada) Wilson in 1922. They had five children: Gordon, Douglas, Ronald, Margaret and Dorothy.

William and Ada's son, William Gordon Gibson (Gordon), was born in Vancouver in 1924, and grew up in Ladner, attending Delta Central School and King George V High School. Gordon's father William entered, under his son's name, wheat seed grown in Ladner to the International Grain and Hay Show in Chicago in 1937. The hard spring wheat won an international award, crowning Gordon, then 13 years old, as the Wheat King of the world. Gordon worked at RCAF Station Boundary Bay (Boundary Bay Airport) 1940-41, then joined the Royal Canadian Navy in 1942. After the war Gordon settled in Vancouver and worked as an engineer for B.C. Hydro. He died in 2005.

Honeyman, John and Douglas

  • CR-42
  • Family
  • 1845-1968

John Honeyman was born in Scotland in 1845 and, after travels to New Zealand and the death of his father John Honeyman, arrived in Canada with his brothers, James and Robert, and his sisters in 1873. In 1878, John Honeyman moved to Eden, Manitoba, to establish a farm and where he married Helen Nichol. They had four children: Gordon (1884 - 1950), Douglas Ramsey (1886 - 1968), Elspeth (1890 - 1964) and Stuart Nicol (1893 - 1966).

In 1896 John and Helen Honeyman moved their family to Delta, acquiring a farm at Gulfside in Delta near Port Guichon. In 1902 John Honeyman sold the Gulfside farm to Mr. Gibbie and bought a new farm in Section 32 in East Delta. John's three sons helped work the family farm. Douglas acquired title to the farm from his father when he died in 1926. Gordon Honeyman and his wife Gertrude farmed in Alberta, and Stuart and his wife Olga farmed near Kamloops from 1920 to 1926, returning to Delta to farm at 7838 River Road.

Douglas Ramsey Honeyman was born in Eden, Manitoba. His family moved to Delta, B.C., during the 1890s and established a farm in East Delta. Honeyman and his brother Stuart joined the 29th (Vancouver) Battalion in 1914 and served in Great Britain and Europe for the duration of the war. Honeyman arrived back in Canada in 1919 and after his discharge returned to farming in East Delta, where he remained until he sold his farm in 1960.

Green, Charles F. (family)

  • CR-73
  • Family
  • 1874-1971

Charles F. Green and his brother Arthur R. Green of Durham County, England, age 21 and 20 years, travelled to Vancouver Island on the passenger steamer "Tynemouth" in 1862. C.F. Green returned to England in 1864 to marry Elizabeth Heppell. They returned to Victoria where the first four of their eight children were born. In 1871 the brothers bought land in the Crescent Island area of Delta; Charles bought District Lot 141 and Arthur DL 142. Charles brought his family to Delta in 1872 where they lived in a small house that they called "Greencroft". The first home was replaced by a larger house in 1890, which still stands today at 5592 River Road. Arthur, who worked as a surveyor, sold his property to Joseph Burr. Charles and his descendants continued to farm on District Lot 141 until 1966 when the farm was sold to George Reifel.

Charles (1840-1917) and Elizabeth (1844-1920) had eight children: Elizabeth E. (1865-1953), Caroline Agnes (1866-1951), Arthur Charles Frederick (1868-1948), Lydia Mary Hepple (1869-1958), Francis John (1874-1965), Ethelind Maude (1876-1960), Constance Muriel (1878-1951), and Muriel G. (1881-1949). Francis John (Jack) took over operation of the farm in 1903 when he married Jessie A. Vallance and his father retired and moved to San Jose, California. Jack (1874-1965) and Jessie (1874-1943) had five children: Margaret Vallance (1904-1905), Reginald James (1906- ), Francis Vallance (1908-1978), Helen Vallance (1910- )and Elizabeth Etheline (1911-1975). Jack and his sons and their families lived on the farm until Jack's death in 1965 and the sale of the farm the following year.

Chapman, Harry (family)

  • IH 1997.47
  • Family
  • 1901-2005

Harry Chapman was born in Leeds, England on July 18, 1901 and moved to Ladysmith in 1919 to play football (soccer). In 1924 he was picked to play for the Dominion of Canada Football Association's team on their Australasian Tour. While in Ladysmith he qualified as a coal miner and worked as a timber packer. In 1926 Harry moved to New Westminster, where he played for the New Westminster Royals Football club and was part of the 1928 Dominion Championship team. During this time he got a job digging ditches with the City of New Westminster and eventually became a Water Works superintendent. Once retired Harry was involved with the Sapperton Old Age Pensioner’s Association.

Nina Chapman (Atkinson) was born September 13, 1908 in New Westminster to Marcia and Fred Atkinson. She had three siblings: Dave, Frances, and Violet. She attended Second Street School and subsequently T.J. Trapp Tech Technical High School. Until her marriage to Harry she worked as an operator for the British Columbia Telephone Company. In 1952 Nina became a member of the Pythian Sisters at the Mainland Temple #14. She was the secretary of the temple for many years, and in 1976 she was elected District Deputy Grand Chief, and in 1980 she served as District Secretary. She was also involved with the Parent Teacher Association of Lord Kelvin-Lister Schools, the New Westminster Parent Teacher Council, serving as president in 1950, as well as the B.C. Parent Teacher Federation. Along with Harry she was also a member of the Sapperton Old Age Pensioner’s Association and sat as president of the organization for 25 years.

Nina and Harry Chapman met at the Odd Fellows Hall in New Westminster, and were married in 1930. The family lived at 807 Edinburgh Street. Nina and Harry had two children: Janet and Doreen. Janet was born in 1939 and Doreen was born around 1934. The girls attended Lord Kelvin-Lister Schools, New Westminster (Vincent Massey) Junior High, and Lester Pearson High School. Harry and Nina had 5 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren as of 2005. Harry Chapman died in 1985 and Nina Chapman died in 2005.

Morishita (family)

  • JCNM M
  • Family
  • 1903-

Teiji Morishita was the business partner of Masataro Ebisuzaki of the Ebisuzaki Dry Goods Store at 337 Powell Street in Vancouver. Teiji was born in Uruzu, Shida Machi, Fukuoka prefecture and came to Canada at seventeen, in 1920 to join his married sister, Hide Ebisuzaki (nee Morishita) and his older brother Jiichiro Morishita. He worked for Hide’s husband, Masataro in the Ebisuzaki Shoten. Hide married Masataro Ebisuzaki in 1912 and together they expanded the store in 1914 to sell quality material at reasonable prices. Masataro eventually returned to Japan in 1934 and subsequently became weak from an illness which required him to make trips to Beppu, Japan. During this time, Teiji became a partner in the Ebisuzaki Shoten which thrived until 1942; taking over the management of the business in 1936. Masataro died in Japan in 1943, at the age of fifty-nine.

Hide remained in Canada and made western clothes for the new arriving immigrants in addition to teaching girls to sew and make futon. (The futon was made from carded sheet wool and covered with cotton baton and covered silk.) In her leisure time, she enjoyed watching the Asahis play baseball. On Wednesday afternoons, her day off, Hide would go to watch them play.

Teiji married Sawa Hamada (born March 3, 1909) in Shida Machi, Fukuoka in 1929. Sawa came to Canada a year later on May 30, 1930 as a landed immigrant. Along with Sawa, Kentaro Ebisuzaki (fifteen) and Kojiro Ebisuzaki (twelve) returned from Uruzu after ten years in Japan accompanied by their mother Hide. The two families began living at 335 Jackson Avenue in Vancouver, BC, but as the family grew, they moved to a larger home at 466 Cordova Street in Vancouver, BC. Teiji was principal owner of the home would hold nine family members; Teiji, Sawa and their children: Nancy (Kuniko), Teruo, Hatsumi, Setsuko, Masako as well as the Ebisuzakis: Hide, Masataro, Kojiro and Kentaro. (Kimiye was born to the Morishitas later in New Denver, BC.) In addition to the family member, two rooms were kept for girls who worked in the store.

The Ebisuzaki Shoten or dry goods store was a prosperous business. Masataro's son Kentaro attended a commerce high school on Hastings Street in Vancouver, which helped the business. They not only sold items locally but made deliveries to outlying Japanese community areas as well as sawmills and logging camps. Teiji delivered goods to Haney, BC and Hammond, BC in the 1930s using one of the two panel trucks owned by the store. (The Dodge Desoto passenger car was acquired in 1940.) Kojiro Ebisuzaki, now under the guardianship of his uncle Teiji, obtained his driver's licence at sixteen and began delivering goods to Vancouver Island. Other workers delivered goods to the Fraser valley communities and beyond, extending all the way to Alberta.

In the front of the store, clothes and materials were sold and in the back of the store, food items such as shoyu, rice, tea, etc were sold. Sewing machines and tables were set up in the mezzanine space above the office area where the clothes and futons were sewed.

Nancy (Kuniko) Morishita was born in Vancouver General Hospital in 1932. She attended Strathcona School until grade four and in the evenings went to the Vancouver Japanese Language School. She also attended the Odori School (dance) next door to the Japanese Language School on Alexander Street in Vancouver, BC. Nancy was ten when the war broke out and things began to change for her and her family. She remembers two large men (Mounties) taking Kojiro her cousin in the night while he was relaxing in the ofuro (bath) to Angler; a Prisoner of War Camp in Ontario. He was arrested for protesting the breakup of families by sending young men to road camps in BC and Alberta.

Teiji had contacts in Raymond, Alberta through his Ebisuzaki dealings and moved his family there to farm sugar beets in early 1942. He relied on Mr Moriyama to find him a job on a large farm. Nancy’s uncle, Jichiro Morishita, joined the family on April 27, 1942. He arrived alone as his wife and three children left for Japan in 1939 to look after his wife's grandmother.

Meanwhile the dry goods store was seized by the Custodian and all items were listed. Money was paid to the wholesalers and any debts were encouraged to be paid to Ebisuzaki Shoten. They were allowed to take only personal items with them. The house at 466 Cordova was also seized by the Custodian and sold off in 1943 once an Order-in-Council was issued. Teiji later made claim for losses in 1947.

During the Internment, the Morishitas moved from Raymond, Alberta to New Denver, BC on May 22, 1943, as Sawa’s eyes were degenerating in the Alberta climate. Jichiro stayed behind joining a Labour Camp at Blue River, BC. Since there were no spots in the internment camp in Lemon Creek, BC (where Hide was) they lived near Harris Ranch for a while, but could not climb the hill to go to church, so eventually moved to Roseberry, BC on June 1, 1943. Teiji worked for CPR, repairing barges and scows in a CPR camp, where he learned blacksmithing. They finally moved to Lemon Creek to join Hide on July 17, 1945 and Teiji began work as a truck driver with his driver's licence ticket. They stayed until Lemon Creek closed down and helped with the clean up. Teiji drove a truck to collect all the BC Security Commission blankets that were distributed. They moved to Slocan City, BC on July 28, 1947. At that time, Nancy left the family to go back to Vancouver as a school girl, working as a domestic in an upper class Vancouver home. The family she worked for owned a sawmill where Ebisuzaki goods used to be delivered to. Eventually she went to nursing school from 1951-54 at Vancouver General Hospital School of nursing. The rest of the family returned to Vancouver in 1960 after an eighteen year absence.

Teiji Morishita died on June 25, 1993 and Sawa Morishita died on April 10, 2005.

Arthur Alexander Dennys

  • MS 82 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Family
  • 1894-1942

Arthur Alexander Dennys was born in India in 1894. He immigrated to Canada from England in 1912, travelling across the Atlantic in the wake of the Titanic. After arriving in Salmon Arm he went into partnership with Bryan Heaney, purchasing farmland from F.A. McLeod.

Dennys wrote diaries of his life as a farmer. He married Joyce Mary Wright of Canoe in 1914 and the couple had two sons, Ronald and Kenneth.

In 1926 Dennys gave up farming and moved his family to Vernon, BC. There he assisted Dr. E.R. Buckell, at the Dominion Department of Agriculture, doing experiments and studying fruit insects until his unexpected death September 9, 1942. Dennys’ death was thought to be complicated by arsenic poisoning attributed to exposure to arsenic during experiments at work.

Joyce Mary Dennys passed away January 8, 1995 at the age of 97. She was a long time member of All Saints Anglican Church and the North Okanagan Naturalist Club. Joyce trained as a school teacher and taught for several years. In Vernon she was employed as an accountant with William Arnott Jewellers.

Arthur Alexander Dennys

  • MS 82 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Family
  • 1894-1942

Arthur Alexander Dennys was born in India in 1894. He immigrated to Canada from England in 1912, travelling across the Atlantic in the wake of the Titanic. After arriving in Salmon Arm he went into partnership with Bryan Heaney, purchasing farmland from F.A. McLeod.

Dennys wrote diaries of his life as a farmer. He married Joyce Mary Wright of Canoe in 1914 and the couple had two sons, Ronald and Kenneth.

In 1926 Dennys gave up farming and moved his family to Vernon, BC. There he assisted Dr. E.R. Buckell, at the Dominion Department of Agriculture, doing experiments and studying fruit insects until his unexpected death September 9, 1942. Dennys’ death was thought to be complicated by arsenic poisoning attributed to exposure to arsenic during experiments at work.

Joyce Mary Dennys passed away January 8, 1995 at the age of 97. She was a long time member of All Saints Anglican Church and the North Okanagan Naturalist Club. Joyce trained as a school teacher and taught for several years. In Vernon she was employed as an accountant with William Arnott Jewellers.

Belli-Bivar (family)

  • MS 05 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Family
  • 1877-1966

Captain Roderick Belli-Bivar, M.B.E. (1890-1939) was a professional soldier and saw service in the Indian Army. In 1912, his grandfather sent him to British Columbia to purchase land. The first acreage he purchased was in "Little England" near where South Canoe is today.

Roderick met his wife, Ethel Stirling, at a ball in Salmon Arm. However, at the outset of WW I, he enlisted and returned to England. Ethel joined him in England in 1915 and they were married there.

The couple returned to Canada in 1919 and in 1920 purchased 40 acres of land from Captain Leonard, complete with a frame house, on Rotton Row. Two children were born to the couple - Valerie Patricia Elvira (b. 1924, m. 1945 to Lloyd Galbraith), and Roderic (note spelling) Gordon (b. 1920). The family relocated to Riverside, California for two years in 1931 and 1934 while Captain Belli-Bivar convalesced and the children continued their education by correspondence. The family returned to Salmon Arm and in 1935 they built a larger home on their orchard property.

Captain Belli-Bivar was much involved in fruit growing and marketing, was a Fruit Inspector and a member of the BC Tree Fruits Limited. He was also prominent in the tennis and badminton sports. Ethel (1892-1987) was a successful fruit farmer, a "lady" prospector and very active in the Salmon Arm community organizations.

Bordessa (family)

  • MS 07 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Family
  • 1913-1936

Bernard Cuthbert Bordessa was born in Cheshire, England in 1887. He trained as a civil Engineer and immigrated to Canada, working on the engineering crew of the Great Trunk Railway in 1913. Early photographs reflect his time on the crew near Hazelton, BC.

In 1915 Bordessa signed up for duty at Vernon, BC and served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. When he returned to Canada, he purchased land in Canoe, BC through the Soldier Settlement Board. The acreage was purchased from Will Kirk in 1921 and Bordessa appears as a fruit farmer from 1921 to 1924, and 1934-1936. He planted apple trees and put an addition on the original house.

From 1921 to 1937 Bordessa also served as a civil engineer in several locations in BC until he was permanently employed by Western Air Command and the B.C.E. (now known as BC Hydro).

In 1927 Bordessa married Edith Dorothy Denison [1893-1981], and the couple had two children, Bobby and Eileen. Bobby was born in 1930, missing a thymus gland and never grew properly. He was hospitalized in New Westminster at the age of five at a childrens hospital and lived until the age of 11. Unfortunately, BC Archives and Records Service has no death record for Bobby (or Robert) Bordessa. Some time prior to 1939 the Bordessa family sold their property and moved away to Vancouver.

Eileen was born in 1931 and speaks frankly about her brother's death. It was a painful event for her parents. She was never allowed to refer to him or ask questions about him for many years. At the age of nineteen she moved to Toronto to continue violin studies at the Faculty of Music, University of Toronto. She currently resides in Ontario.

The farm was eventually sold to the Abernathy family, who in turn sold the property to the Ackerman family. The house sits on property developed into a private golf course (Shuswap Golf Club, formerly Shannons) on Highway 1, east of Salmon Arm.

Branchflower (family)

  • MS 08 (Salmon Arm Museum)
  • Family
  • 1902-1961

Max Preston Branchflower (1893-1969) was born in Chilliwack, B.C. and moved to Silver Creek, near Salmon Arm, in 1907. Branchflower farmed at Silver Creek and has a road named for him there. His mother, Mary Eliza Branchflower (1869-1961) (nee Mathewson) was born in Barrie, Ontario. As a widow, Mrs. Branchflower moved to Silver Creek and resided with her son until her death.

According to local sources, Max Branchflower never married. His interests included dancing, farming, and automobiles.

Results 1 to 25 of 986