Showing 1899 results

authority records
Corporate body

Society for the Furtherance of British Columbia Indian Arts and Crafts

  • Corporate body
  • 1940-

The Society for the Furtherance of BC Indian Arts and Crafts was initially formed in 1940 as a committee at the suggestion of Anthony Walsh, of the Inkameep Indian School, B.C. The society was founded by Alice Ravenhill. Its objectives were primarily ‘to promote the revival of the latent gifts of art, drama, dance and song, as well as certain handicrafts, among the Indians of this Province.’ The committee became a society in 1941 with objectives ‘to compile a schedule and pictorial record of authentic specimens of totem poles, pictographs, petroglyphs and other tribal arts and crafts; to compile a bibliography on B.C. Arts and Crafts; to collect new material in the form of drawings, photographs or written records of B.C. Indian Arts and Crafts; to encourage commercial use of these and all other authentic B.C. Indian designs; to gather records of B.C. Native Music; to compile a bibliography of B.C. Native Mythology and Drama; to encourage Pupils of Indian Schools and Tribal Experts in the revival of their latent gifts of Arts, Crafts and Drama, with a view to improve their economic position, to restore their self respect, and to induce more sympathetic relations between them and their fellow Canadians; and to publish leaflets, books and articles in harmony with the work of the Society.’ The first members of the committee were Major Bullock-Webster, Douglas Flintoff, A.E. Pickford, Madame Sanderson Mongin, Miss Cave-Brown-Cave, Alma Russell, Betty Newton, and Alice Ravenhill as secretary. Projects completed were the publication of The Tale of the Nativity, a selection of stories told to Anthony Walsh by his students that includes artwork by Sis-hu-lk (Francis Baptiste); charts of examples of various tribal art forms; exhibitions; and letters and meetings with members of government.
In 1951, the society incorporated and changed its name to the British Columbia Indian Arts and Welfare Society.

Alcuin Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

The Alcuin Society is a non-profit organization devoted to the art of the book and fine book publishing. The society's aims are to further the interests of book collecting and promote the interest of fine books and reading. To achieve this end, the society is involved in the production of limited edition books, memorabilia and a society periodical, the Amphora. The society was established in 1965 in Vancouver in response to the initiative of one of the original society members, Geoff Spencer. Since its creation, the Alcuin Society has continued as a limited editions venture while actively promoting other book related interests including "authorship, book design and production, bookselling, book buying and collecting, printing, binding, papermaking, calligraphy and illustration." (Alcuin Society Website)

The Alcuin Society is actively engaged in a wide variety of cultural activities, including book design competitions, educational events, awards and prizes. The Alcuin Society Awards for Excellence in Book Design in Canada and the Antiquarian Book Roadshow are the most prominent of these activities.

The Alcuin Society is a volunteer association, with members throughout Canada and the world. The Alcuin Society is governed by a Board, which is elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.

Labour History Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1976-1984

The Labour History Provincial Specialist Association was established under the auspices of the British Columbia Teachers' Federation in 1976. The name of the organization was amended to the Labour History Association, BCTF in order to satisfy legal requirements. The Association produced a film, a manual and slide-sound program and ten issues of a journal, Labour History. The Association was disbanded as a result of reduced funding.

During an annual general meeting of the British Columbia Teachers Federation (BCTF) in March, 1976, sufficient interest was shown to make possible the formation of a Labour History Provincial Specialist Association (PSA) dedicated to the teaching of labour history in schools. With an individual membership of 106, the first general meeting of the Labour History PSA occurred in May 1976. On June 12, 1976, the BCTF voted official status to the Labour History PSA at its executive meeting. In order to sign legal contracts for some of its projects, the name was changed to Labour History Association, BCTF (LHA). The LHA was disbanded in 1984 by the BCTF, owing to a reduction in the amount of funding the BCTF was able to provide.

Hollyburn Ridge Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-?

The Hollyburn Ridge Association was formed in 1973 to protect and promote Hollyburn Ridge, defined as the area of West Vancouver above the 1200 feet level between the Capilano River and Cypress Provincial Park. The objectives of the society were the preservation, protection, and continuance of the cabin area on Hollyburn Ridge, promotion of the recreational use and public access to the Hollyburn Ridge Area, and negotiation with all levels of government to encourage and promote the aims and objectives of the Hollyburn Ridge Association. The Association published a newsletter called the Ridgerunner from January of 1979.

Some members of the Hollyburn Ridge Association, along with Municipal Managers, served as members of the Hollyburn Ridge Sub-Committee convened by the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver to regulate use and building of cabins on Hollyburn Ridge.

Osoyoos Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1938-1988

The Osoyoos Women’s Institute was organized by Zella McGregor of Penticton in 1938. Early projects included school sanitation, welfare, Christmas celebrations, water testing, and formation of the local Boy Scout troop and a Parent-Teachers Association. During WW II, the institute was engaged in knitting projects, fundraising, procurement of a doctor for Osoyoos, and general welfare for the local community. Similar activities carried on after the war, including the creation of footpaths, fundraising for the hospital, and the collection of clothing for Unitarian relief. The Osoyoos Women’s Institute folded in 1988 because of lack of membership.

Spanish Development Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-2006

The first meeting of the Spanish Development Society was held in the Rialto Hotel in November, 1974. Town Council approved the Spanish motif December, 1974. The society was incorporated in December 1975. The Spanish theme was created as a vehicle for beautification because the terrain in Osoyoos is similar to that of Spain. It was thought that Osoyoos would benefit from the increased winter tourism experienced by towns such as Leavenworth, Washington. The Spanish theme was incorporated into the municipal hall in 1974 and later into storefronts and homes. The Don Carlos logo was approved in 1976. As fundraisers, the society sponsored the Irish Rovers in 1976, many bingos, and the second World Wrist Wrestling championships in 1977. They erected Spanish themed signage at the
town entrances, and beautified the town hall with a fountain and plaque. The society was disbanded in 2006.

Osoyoos Co-operative Fruit & Vegetable Growers

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-2008

The Osoyoos Co-op Packing House was built by Harvey Boone in 1930, with an addition built in 1931. During the period described in the fonds, members of the Co-op were shipping produce including tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, and plums to BC Tree Fruits in Kelowna, BC. Over the years, the co-op merged with other co-ops on the area, becoming the Okanagan-Similkameen Co-operative Growers Association. In 2008, along with other independent fruit packing companies, they amalgamated with BC Fruit Packers (Kelowna), Okanagan North Co-operative (Winfield) and Sunfresh (Osoyoos) to become Okanagan Tree Fruits Co-operative.

Royal Canadian Legion, Cowichan Branch No. 53

  • Corporate body
  • 1926-2006

The Cowichan Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion was established in 1926. Prior to this date there was an active branch of the Great War Veterans Association in Duncan, but by April 1926 this branch was winding up and prepare to dissolve, in preparation for forming a local branch of the new organization, the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Services League. By December 1926 the Legion had more than 200 members.
In 1930 the Legion purchased the Whidden Building at 134 Government Street. In 1939 the Legion erected new quarters at this same location. Due to the growth of membership, on August 13, 1960 the Legion opened its large, new quarters at 575 Trunk Road, Duncan.
The local Legion played an important role in giving relief to veterans and their families who were experiencing distress and unemployment, and helping members to qualify for pensions. The Cowichan Legion supported numerous charities over the years. It supplies bursaries for Grade 12 graduates. In recognition and promotion of Remembrance Day in the schools, the Legion sponsores its annual Remembrance Day Literary and Poster contents.
By 2003 the Cowichan Legion building needed repairs and was considered too large and impractical given cost of repairs. The organization faced declining membership, together with higher costs due to taxes, maintenance and staffing. In March 2003 the Legion sold its building staying on as tenants. In November 2004, the Legion left the building, after 44 years. Officials stated they intended to move into a smaller less expensive facility. The new quarters of the Legion are now located at 25 Kenneth Street, Duncan

Central Mainland Marine Mission

  • Corporate body

The first of the Thomas Crosby mission boats was launched in 1912, replacing the Homespun, a small gasoline launch that had been in use since the Udal was lost in 1909. The Thomas Crosby I, II, and III served on the mainland for the Port Simpson District of the Methodist Church up to church union in 1925, being known at that time as the Crosby Mission. Under the United Church, the Mission became a pastoral charge, first called the Queen Charlotte (Marine) Pastoral Charge and then renamed Central Mainland Marine Mission in 1929. The Thomas Crosby III, built in 1923, was replaced with the more seaworthy Thomas Crosby IV in 1938, which in turn was replaced by the Thomas Crosby V in 1967, the Sea Island II being chartered for a brief period while the Thomas Crosby V was being built. Missionaries who served on the Crosby include R.C. Scott, Peter Kelley, R.H. McColl, John Towers, Bob Scales, Oliver Howard, Jack Gosse serving as a lay minister, Bob Faris and Gordon Taylor. In the 1970s, the Presbytery created an Oversight Committee to act as board for the Mission, and eventually most of the responsibility for the Mission's funding was transferred from the Presbytery to the Division of Mission (B.C.). Through the 1970s and 1980s, the Mission reported to both the Presbytery and D.M.C. (B.C.) through the Committee; during this period the staff was fairly large as well, with separate positions for the Master and the Missionary, as well as an engineer, deckhands and a nurse. Although the Thomas Crosby V was the only marine mission operating in the region in the 1980s, the cost of operating the Mission was becoming more and more of a concern to those involved, and several studies were conducted into the possibility of finding more cost-effective ways to conduct its work. Late in 1990, Prince Rupert Presbytery voted to recommend that the ship be sold, with a view to finding more cost effective ways of reaching the same constituency, although the 1992 report to Conference describes it as having had a ship in 1991 as well. Since then the Mission has relied on air travel to reach its points of call.

Knox United Church (Parksville, B.C.)

  • Corporate body

Knox United Church, Parksville began its life as Knox Presbyterian Church. Presbyterian work in the Parksville area began in November, 1909, when a meeting was held after a servive to discuss establishing a Presbyterian church in Parksville. Services were initially held in a home in Errington. They formed a board to look after the building of a new church, which was begun in 1911 on the Island Highway, and was dedicated the following year. For the first two years, student ministers came from Wellington to lead services. An ordained minister was appointed to serve the Parksville Mission Field in 1913. In November, 1915 a Session was constituted for the Parksville Field, with members being elected from Parksville, Errington, Hilliers and Qualicum Beach. By 1917, Coombs was also part of this field.
The Parksville Mission Field came into church union in 1925, but the Field was reorganized in 1927. From 1927 to 1942, Parksville Pastoral Charge included Coombs, Errington and Nanoose. St. Andrew's United Church Errington was opened and dedicated on Feb. 16, 1930 as a part of the Parksville Pastoral Charge. In 1942, the Parksville-Qualicum Pastoral Charge was formed, and also included Errington and Coombs. This remained until 1953. Between 1953 and 1961, Knox United, Parksville was supplied from the Nanaimo Indian Pastoral Charge, which included Parksville, Nanoose and Errington. In 1961, the Parksville Pastoral Charge was formed, and included Nanoose and Errington until 1982. The church sold its property on the Island Highway in 1978 and for a year the congregation worshipped in the Roman Catholic Church in French Creek. In Februrary, 1979, a new church building was dedicated. In 1982, the preaching point at Errington was discontinued and the Parksville Pastoral Charge became a one point Pastoral Charge.

Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Duncan Lawson Chapter (West Vancouver, B.C.)

  • Corporate body

The Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire, Duncan Lawson Chapter was formed on April 22, 1920 at a meeting in Ambleside Hall. An application to become a chapter within the National Chapter of Canada was sent to IODE headquarters, and the affiliation certificate was signed on May 13, 1920.

The West Vancouver chapter was named after Duncan Lawson (1897-1918), the son of West Vancouver pioneers John Lawson (1860-1954) and Christina Lawson (1866-1955). Duncan Lawson was killed in action during World War I. Christina Lawson and Duncan Lawson's sister, Gertrude Lawson (1892-1989), were among the founding members of the Chapter.

The Duncan Lawson Chapter's motto was "Loyal Service", and it worked with schools and community groups to provide service and assistance.

The last meeting of the Duncan Lawson Chapter was held on February 13, 1978. The membership had been declining, and it was decided that there no longer was a sufficient basis for the continuation of the Chapter.

Canada. Point Atkinson Lighthouse

  • Corporate body

In 1872 the Canadian Department of Marine and Fisheries and awarded a contract to Arthur Finney to build a lighthouse at Point Atkinson for the sum of $4250. The lighthouse was in operation in 1875 within the jurisdiction of the Department of Marine, Ottawa, under the terms of the B.N.A. Act, section 91.

The first lighthouse keepers were Edwin Woodward and his wife Ann. Finding the area too isolated, they moved to Ontario after five years, and the Weldwoods, who succeeded them stayed less than a year. Walter Erwin was the light keeper from 1880 to 1910. In 1889 a steam fog alarm was installed at Point Atkinson, and Thomas D. Grafton was hired as Erwin's assistant. When Erwin retired in 1909, Grafton took charge of the lighthouse and fog alarm and remained until 1934, when he was accidentally killed by an explosion of dynamite in his hand while bait fishing. Ernest Dawe became lighthouse keeper in 1935 and served until 1960.

In 1912, the original wooden lighthouse was replaced by a reinforced concrete tower, designed by Colonel William Patrick Anderson of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, and the surrounding area was designated a park. In 1942, Point Atkinson became a military station for the duration of World War II. Searchlights and cannon were installed, and cedar barracks in the forest behind the lighthouse housed eighty soldiers. In 1963 an electrical motorized system was introduced, and in 1974 the fog alarm was replaced with airchime foghorns

Gordon Odlum served as lighthouse keeper from 1963 to 1974; Bob Ferriday from 1974 to 1975; and Jim Barr from 1975. Donald Graham was the last lighthouse keeper, serving from 1980 to 1996 when the station was completely automated. In 1994 Point Atkinson Lighthouse was declared a National Historic Site.

West Vancouver Historical Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1980-
 The West Vancouver Historical Society began as a committee within the Rotary Club of West Vancouver. Several active Rotarians, including Rupert Harrison, Hugh Johnston, Harvey Hill, and Thomas Erling-Tyrell, saw the need for preserving the history of West Vancouver. The concept was discussed at a series of meetings with the Mayor, Municipal Manager, and other officials of the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver. The Rotary Club was encouraged to proceed and the members approved the proposal on April 30, 1980. Start-up funding was assigned and an application for incorporation under the Society Act was prepared.

The West Vancouver Historical Society was incorporated by the Rotary Club as a non-profit society under the Society Act of British Columbia on July 17, 1980. An interim executive committee of Rotarians was appointed to organize a series of events as part of a membership campaign. The old West Vancouver Ferry “Hollyburn “ was chartered for a memory cruise and the first sixty members were signed up. A series of lectures and slide shows attracted sufficient new members during 1981 that the Rotary committee stepped aside and call for an election of officers from within the society membership. The first annual general meeting of the Society was held January 25, 1982. Bernard (Bernie) G. Holt, recently retired Senior Secondary School Principal, was elected President of the Society.

In 1984 the name of the West Vancouver Historical Society was changed to West Vancouver Museum and Historical Society (authorized September 12, 1984). This reflected a change in orientation. Initially the major purpose of the society had been to collect archival material, and only secondarily museum artifacts. The change in name indicated that the society would now also collect museum artifacts and start working towards the creation of a museum and archives in West Vancouver. The Society worked in partnership with the Municipality in the collection, preservation, storing, and housing of historical materials. Any items donated to the society became the property of the Municipality (the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver).

In March of 1983 the Historical Society began publication of a newsletter. The original title of the newsletter was Histrionics, later changed to History-Onics. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform the membership about the activities of the Society, and to publish vignettes related to the history of West Vancouver.

The Historical Society grew rapidly to embrace more than five hundred members. A fund raising program was implemented to obtain suitable housing for the growing collection. The Society was instrumental in securing the former home of Gertrude Lawson as a site for the West Vancouver Museum and Archives. The Society succeeded in raising more than $500,000, which, with Municipal, Provincial, and Heritage partners, led to the establishment of the West Vancouver Museum and Archives. The building was extensively renovated, and officially dedicated as the home of the West Vancouver Museum and Archives on June 29, 1992.

By 1993 professional operating staff was in place and the community Museum & Archives was a reality. The Society was able to revert to a support role by forming a volunteer pool for the facility and fund raising activities. At the annual general meeting on March 25, 1993 the name was changed back to West Vancouver Historical Society.

University of British Columbia. Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering fonds

  • Corporate body
  • 1915-

The UBC Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering is one of six departments in the Faculty of Applied Science carrying out engineering studies. Chemical Engineering was established at UBC in 1915, as the first Canadian chemical engineering program west of Ontario, and a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1954. Biological Engineering evolved from Agricultural Engineering and Agricultural Mechanics established at UBC in 1945. In 1975, the name and degree were changed to Bio-Resource Engineering. In 1996, the Department of Chemical and Bio-Resource Engineering was formed from the merger of these two separate departments. In 1999, the name was changed to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and reflects the growing need for engineers in the fields of biotechnology, biomedical and bio-resource engineering. The department has established a world-class reputation in several areas of chemical engineering science including fluid-solids contacting, pulp and paper engineering, heat exchanger fouling and, more recently, biotechnology. Several faculty members have won national and international recognition for their research contributions and many former students have gone on to become leaders in industry and academia in Canada and abroad. The Department's administration is represented by the Department Head, Associate Heads, Manager Administration, Systems Administrator, Secretaries and Financial clerk. Various workshop and stores personnel also complement the staff -- technicians, storekeeper and teaching lab assistant.

Okanagan Society for the Revival of Indian Arts and Crafts

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-

The Okanagan Society for the Revival of Indian Arts and Crafts (OSRIAC) was formed in 1941 to ‘stimulate and record authentic native arts, legends, songs, dances, and dramatic art amongst the Okanagan Indians, compile a schedule and pictorial record of authentic pictographs and petroglyphs, encourage ethnological studies among young Indians, arrange exhibits of Indian arts, crafts, and drama, guide the efforts of Indians so that their products have real artistic and market value, keep in touch with similar organizations in Canada and the United States of America, facilitate advanced studies in cases of pupils showing outstanding ability where such study should have to take place outside of the reserve, and publish leaflets, books, and articles in harmony with the work of the society’. The society was formed primarily to supplement work being done by Alice Ravenhill of the Victoria Society for the Furtherance of BC Indian Arts and Crafts and to assist Anthony Walsh in promoting the interests of his pupils at the Inkameep Indian Day School on the Osoyoos Indian Reserve. Eventually one of the pupils, Sis-hu-ulk, had his artwork displayed at exhibitions in London, Paris, Vienna, Prague, Dublin, and across Canada. Other students gave an open-air dramatic performance on the occasion of the opening of Thunderbird Park in Victoria, as well as plays, songs, and dance performances in the Okanagan. Anthony Walsh resigned in 1942 and the society was instrumental, after a period of two years, in urging the appointment of another teacher with improved living quarters. Unfortunately, no effort was made to re-establish the creative work that had been initiated by Mr. Walsh. From that point on, the society broadened its activities by writing a brief entitled ‘Native Canadians – A Plan for the Rehabilitation of Indians’, submitting it to the BC premier in 1944. The following publicity resulted in briefs being submitted by OSRIAC in 1946 to the federal Joint Committee appointed to examine and consider the Indian Act.

Curt’s Cartage

  • Corporate body
  • 1935-1948

Curt’s Cartage operated in Osoyoos from 1935-1948, trucking fruit, vegetables, lumber, gravel, sand, topsoil, fill, cement, general freight, heavy equipment, and garbage.

Dominion Experimental Farms

  • Corporate body

The Dominion Experimental Farms employed Walter Graf to observe and record temperature and precipitation at Osoyoos, BC.

Osoyoos Fire Brigade

  • Corporate body

The Osoyoos Fire Brigade was organized by the Board of Trade with Percy Bates as chief, Ralph Lewis as assistant, and Delbert Long as captain. The Penticton Fire Department sold their Rio fire engine to Osoyoos for $600. Most of the fires were chimney fires; water barrels were recycled from the Osoyoos Bakery. After WW II, army surplus clothing served as uniforms. Two major fires were at the Osoyoos Evaporation Company and the Jorde Sawmill. By 1953, another fire truck was added just in time to fight a second sawmill fire north of the town. Mr. Bates retired in 1966 and was followed by Howard Compeau as acting chief until Paul Balogh took over.

Alberni Valley United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.)

  • Corporate body
  • 2001-

Alberni Valley United Church formed as a result of an amalgamation of St. Andrew's and First United Churches (Port Alberni, B.C.) In June, 2001, First and St. Andrew's became one pastoral charge known as Alberni Valley United Church. They maintained the two congregations until they were physically amalgamated in the former First United Church building in April, 2002.

British Pacific Properties Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1931-

British Pacific Properties Limited was created as a company in 1931 by the Guinness brewing family to purchase, and receive the development rights to 4,700 acres of land on Hollyburn Ridge. The ‘Highlands’ on West Vancouver’s upper levels became known as the British Properties, an exclusive residential development in West Vancouver. In return for these rights, British Pacific Properties agreed to build a crossing from Vancouver to West Vancouver, and through the First Narrows Bridge company constructed the Lions Gate Bridge which opened in November 1938.

British Pacific Properties Limited also committed to building the Capilano Golf and Country Club on 165 acres which opened for play in the summer of 1937. The final phase was the commercial development of the property at Taylor Way and Marine Drive. Park Royal, the first regional shopping centre in Canada covered 125,000 square feet when it opened in September 1950, anchored by Woodward’s Department Store. Park Royal was named after an area in London in which one of the Guinness family breweries was located.

The shopping centre went through various phases of expansion on both sides of Marine Drive with the south mall opening in 1963 followed by expansions in the 1970s. The black office tower, Kapilano 100, was built in 1974. Park Royal Shopping Centre underwent subsequent renovations after the closing of Woodward’s in 1993, and Eaton’s in 1999. British Pacific Properties Limited started to develop its Whitby Estates property in 1996. In 1999, British Pacific Properties Limited formed British Pacific Enterprises, an in-house building division and turnkey service for custom home development.

Hollyburn Heritage Society

  • Corporate body
  • 2000-present

In the 1990s Gordon and Iola Knight developed concern regarding the condition of the Hollyburn Ski Lodge at First Lake. In 1997 Gordon Knight and Bob Tapp joined together to raise money to repair the Hollyburn Ski Lodge, as the foundation was severely rotten, the roof leaked, and there were other structural problems. The Knights and Tapps launched their campaign to "Save First Lake Lodge" at the 1997 Pioneer Skiers' Reunion on Mount Seymour. In 1998 they sold a Hollyburn Ski Lodge coffee cup to raise interest in the Lodge. At this time the Knights also began to collect historic photographs of life on Hollyburn Mountain.

In the Spring of 2000, the Tapps and the Knights formed the Hollyburn Heritage Society, with the mandate to collect the history and artifacts of skiing and other mountain activities on Hollyburn Mountain and to promote the restoration and preservation of the Hollyburn Ski Lodge. Their organization received society status in April 2000, and in the spring of that year, the Hollyburn Heritage Society, with the support of Wayne Booth, Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd, was awarded $2567 from the federal government as part of the Canada Millenium Partnership Program to film the Pioneer Skiers' Reunion held at First Lake and the Hollyburn Ski Lodge. Bob Cooper produced the film, titled "Hollyburn, A Place of Memories". The film was sold on the mountain in VHS format. The Hollyburn Heritage Society has acquired numerous collections of photographs, particularly through the initiative of historian Don Grant.

Results 1 to 25 of 1899