Showing 20894 results

authority records

Society for the Furtherance of British Columbia Indian Arts and Crafts

  • Corporate body
  • 1940-

The Society for the Furtherance of BC Indian Arts and Crafts was initially formed in 1940 as a committee at the suggestion of Anthony Walsh, of the Inkameep Indian School, B.C. The society was founded by Alice Ravenhill. Its objectives were primarily ‘to promote the revival of the latent gifts of art, drama, dance and song, as well as certain handicrafts, among the Indians of this Province.’ The committee became a society in 1941 with objectives ‘to compile a schedule and pictorial record of authentic specimens of totem poles, pictographs, petroglyphs and other tribal arts and crafts; to compile a bibliography on B.C. Arts and Crafts; to collect new material in the form of drawings, photographs or written records of B.C. Indian Arts and Crafts; to encourage commercial use of these and all other authentic B.C. Indian designs; to gather records of B.C. Native Music; to compile a bibliography of B.C. Native Mythology and Drama; to encourage Pupils of Indian Schools and Tribal Experts in the revival of their latent gifts of Arts, Crafts and Drama, with a view to improve their economic position, to restore their self respect, and to induce more sympathetic relations between them and their fellow Canadians; and to publish leaflets, books and articles in harmony with the work of the Society.’ The first members of the committee were Major Bullock-Webster, Douglas Flintoff, A.E. Pickford, Madame Sanderson Mongin, Miss Cave-Brown-Cave, Alma Russell, Betty Newton, and Alice Ravenhill as secretary. Projects completed were the publication of The Tale of the Nativity, a selection of stories told to Anthony Walsh by his students that includes artwork by Sis-hu-lk (Francis Baptiste); charts of examples of various tribal art forms; exhibitions; and letters and meetings with members of government.
In 1951, the society incorporated and changed its name to the British Columbia Indian Arts and Welfare Society.

Alcuin Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

The Alcuin Society is a non-profit organization devoted to the art of the book and fine book publishing. The society's aims are to further the interests of book collecting and promote the interest of fine books and reading. To achieve this end, the society is involved in the production of limited edition books, memorabilia and a society periodical, the Amphora. The society was established in 1965 in Vancouver in response to the initiative of one of the original society members, Geoff Spencer. Since its creation, the Alcuin Society has continued as a limited editions venture while actively promoting other book related interests including "authorship, book design and production, bookselling, book buying and collecting, printing, binding, papermaking, calligraphy and illustration." (Alcuin Society Website)

The Alcuin Society is actively engaged in a wide variety of cultural activities, including book design competitions, educational events, awards and prizes. The Alcuin Society Awards for Excellence in Book Design in Canada and the Antiquarian Book Roadshow are the most prominent of these activities.

The Alcuin Society is a volunteer association, with members throughout Canada and the world. The Alcuin Society is governed by a Board, which is elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.

Eastwood, Alex

Alex Eastwood worked for the B.C. Security Commission during the internment of Japanese Canadian citizens.

Harris, Elizabeth

  • 1903-1989

Frances Elinor Elizabeth Harris (nee Collis) was born July 7, 1903, in Cumberland, B.C. She was educated in Esquimalt and after marrying in 1929 she and her husband left for China, where they spent several years, including two and a half years in a Japanese concentration camp. Following her husband's death in 1949 she took over the Royal Roads Kindergarten and ran it until 1974. Elizabeth (Beth) Harris died June 5, 1989.

Clearihue, Etholine, d. 1937

Etholine Clearihue was the brother of Judge Joseph B. Clearihue, Chancellor of the University of Victoria, 1963-1966.

Deuel, Fred A.

Frederick Alan Deuel was an art and social studies teacher at Hillside Seconday School from 1960 to ca. 1986. During this time he taught classes in both art and social studies and produced a great deal of graphic work, including material relating to the school plays produced each year.

Fred met his wife Beryl who taught Chemistry at Crofton House School at a dance in 1957. Beryl Deuel died December 12, 2005.

Labour History Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1976-1984

The Labour History Provincial Specialist Association was established under the auspices of the British Columbia Teachers' Federation in 1976. The name of the organization was amended to the Labour History Association, BCTF in order to satisfy legal requirements. The Association produced a film, a manual and slide-sound program and ten issues of a journal, Labour History. The Association was disbanded as a result of reduced funding.

During an annual general meeting of the British Columbia Teachers Federation (BCTF) in March, 1976, sufficient interest was shown to make possible the formation of a Labour History Provincial Specialist Association (PSA) dedicated to the teaching of labour history in schools. With an individual membership of 106, the first general meeting of the Labour History PSA occurred in May 1976. On June 12, 1976, the BCTF voted official status to the Labour History PSA at its executive meeting. In order to sign legal contracts for some of its projects, the name was changed to Labour History Association, BCTF (LHA). The LHA was disbanded in 1984 by the BCTF, owing to a reduction in the amount of funding the BCTF was able to provide.

Newell, G.R.

Captain G. R. Newell was a marine surveyor in 1962 and 1963 and resided in Victoria, B.C. In 1945, Newell was master of the SS Bowness Park (liberty class).

Gee, George

  • Person
  • 1908-1987

George Gee was born on July 22, 1908 in Virden, Manitoba, where he lived with his parents and 9 brothers and sisters. After his father's death in 1909, the family's financial situation worsened until foreclosure forced the family to scatter across Canada in search of employment. Gee stayed in Manitoba working as a labourer until the stock market crash of 1929 forced him into the ranks of the unemployed. He then moved to Princeton, British Columbia to join his brothers.

While in Princeton, Gee and his brothers supported themselves with odd jobs and George increasingly came under the influence of his brother Bill, who had joined the communist party in 1932. He also became affiliated with well-known communist organizer Arthur "Slim" Evans while helping with the Tulameen Coal Miner's Strike in 1933. In March of 1934, Gee married Lillian Smith-Mitchell of Princeton, B.C.
Gee left Princeton in 1935 and took a job with Peterson Electric in Vancouver, B.C. Soon after, Gee was laid off and joined the communist party. In 1936, he left Vancouver for Seattle, Washington where he found steady work and joined the Local 77 chapter of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (I.B.E.W.).

In 1937, Gee moved back to Vancouver and worked for B.C. Electric. This same year, George and Lillian had their first daughter, Joyce. The Gee family welcomed their second daughter (Shirley) in 1939. On August 4, 1939, he began his career with the Local 213 of the I.B.E.W, where he went on to serve as a business agent from 1946-1955. During these years, the Gees had two more children, a daughter (Bonnie) and a son (James).

Gee was expelled from the union in 1955 due to his political affiliation, where after he returned to his job at B.C. Electric (from which he had taken a leave of absence from 1946 on). After only working a half-day, Gee was fired because of his expulsion from the I.B.E.W. Five days later, close to 300 electrical workers walked off the job in protest to Gee's dismissal.

From the date of his firing in 1955 until 1957, Gee made a series of attempts within the I.B.E.W. to be reinstated. The attempts all failed and were eventually followed by a trial in the Supreme Court, which rejected Gee's charges against the I.B.E.W.

After Gee's defeat in The Supreme Court, he ran a small heating business called G&B Heating until 1960, when he, his wife Lilian, and their son James moved to Edmonton, Alberta. He worked there as the western representative for The United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (U.E.). In 1967 Gee moved back to Vancouver, B.C., and continued to fulfil this position until his retirement in 1974. By 1974, The Gees purchased property in Davis Bay, Sechelt. Gee was actively involved in political affairs, civic affairs and was one of the founding members of the Sechelt Communist Party.

Gladwin Heights United Church (Abbotsford, B.C.)

The Gladwin Heights United Church, located in Abbotsford and part of Fraser Presbytery, was established in 1981 as a congregation within Abbotsford Pastoral Charge. It became a separate pastoral charge in 1985.

Winnington-Ingram, Herbert Frederick

H.F. Winnington-Ingram served in the Royal Navy. In 1838, he was a midshipman, later becoming a Rear-Admiral. He wrote the book "Hearts of Oak" (1889).

Hollyburn Ridge Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-?

The Hollyburn Ridge Association was formed in 1973 to protect and promote Hollyburn Ridge, defined as the area of West Vancouver above the 1200 feet level between the Capilano River and Cypress Provincial Park. The objectives of the society were the preservation, protection, and continuance of the cabin area on Hollyburn Ridge, promotion of the recreational use and public access to the Hollyburn Ridge Area, and negotiation with all levels of government to encourage and promote the aims and objectives of the Hollyburn Ridge Association. The Association published a newsletter called the Ridgerunner from January of 1979.

Some members of the Hollyburn Ridge Association, along with Municipal Managers, served as members of the Hollyburn Ridge Sub-Committee convened by the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver to regulate use and building of cabins on Hollyburn Ridge.

Osoyoos Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1938-1988

The Osoyoos Women’s Institute was organized by Zella McGregor of Penticton in 1938. Early projects included school sanitation, welfare, Christmas celebrations, water testing, and formation of the local Boy Scout troop and a Parent-Teachers Association. During WW II, the institute was engaged in knitting projects, fundraising, procurement of a doctor for Osoyoos, and general welfare for the local community. Similar activities carried on after the war, including the creation of footpaths, fundraising for the hospital, and the collection of clothing for Unitarian relief. The Osoyoos Women’s Institute folded in 1988 because of lack of membership.

Parksville and District Community Society

  • 1922-1963

The Parksville and District Community Society was established to preserve the park area near the beach at Parksville for public use. The Society purchased the land there and developed a community park, which was later acquired by the City of Parksville.

Fogarty, Pat

  • Person

Pat Fogarty was a sociologist who worked for Environment Canada from 1971-1983 until his retirement. During that time he participated in the socio-economic assessment of the MacKenzie River Pipeline Study. In 1991, Fogarty became a volunteer member of a steering committee commissioned by the BC Ministry of Forests to manage the development of the Public Access Silviculture Information System (PASIS).

Crosse, John

  • Person
  • 1917-2006

John Crosse was born in New Zealand in 1917. After attaining an undergraduate degree from Cambridge, Crosse completed a Masters in Engineering at Purdue University in Indiana. In 1959, he immigrated with his young family to Canada. Although he worked for some time as an engineer, Crosse was most passionate about the marine history of British Columbia. By 1968 he had written and published a centennial history of the Thermapoylae, a Clipper that patrolled the shores of British Columbia in the 19th century. In the 1980s, Crosse began to dedicate his entire efforts to researching the first explorations of Europeans to North Americas West Coast. He spent a number of summers in the 1990s following and documenting the precise route taken by Spanish explorers through British Columbias Gulf Islands. As part of the research for these explorations, Crosse traveled to Spain and California to acquire background information and photocopies of the rare maps made by these early European explorers. In 1994, he wrote and published some of the findings of his research trips in an article entitled In the Wake of the Spaniards: Through the Rosario Strait. Even at the end of his life, Crosse continued to pursue his research interests, and he passed away in 2006 while working on a book about George Vancouver.

Victoria College (B.C.). Library

An informal library was established in the early days of Victoria College, which was administered by staff. Individuals include, Margaret Ross 1934-1935, Staff Administrator; and Sydney G. Pettit 1937-1938, instructor of History. Beginning in 1946, formally trained librarians were appointed: Marjorie Griffin 1946-1947; Edith Stewart 1947-1948; Kathleen R. Matthews 1948-1951; Douglas G. Lochhead 1951-1952; Albert A. Spratt 1953-1960; and Dean W. Halliwell 1960-1963. Halliwell became the University Librarian at the University of Victoria in 1963.

Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association

In 1954, the Nanaimo Gun Club and the Nanaimo Fish and Game
Association officially merged to become the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association. A form of the club had been in existence as early as 1905 when a a local group organized in response to a provincial government plan to sell all hunting rights on Vancouver Island to American interests.
The club promotes fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreational pursuits and wildlife conservation. The NDFGPA also teaches the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation program (CORE) and works cooperatively with provincial agencies on the Vancouver Island marmot project, deer counts, lake and stream monitoring, and elk relocations. In addition, many members serve on various regional, provincial and national Boards and Committees dealing with wildlife
and fisheries management issues.

St. Stephen's United Church (Qualicum Beach, B.C.)

St. Stephen's United Church is one of two points in the Qualicum Pastoral Charge. The other point is Grace United Church (Coombs, B.C.). St. Stephen's United Church began its life as Qualicum Beach Presbyterian Church. Presbyterian work began in the Qualicum Beach area with the arrival of a minister to serve the Parksville Mission Field in 1913. In April, 1914, the minister from Parksville began providing services in a school house and later, in Fishers Hall, which was across from the railway station in Qualicum Beach. A Session was constituted in November, 1915 for the Parksville Mission Field, with members being elected from Parksville, Errington, Hilliers and Qualicum Beach. By 1917, Coombs was also a part of this field. The first church building, Qualicum Beach Presbyterian Church was erected at Qualicum Beach in February, 1920. The Parksville Mission Field came into church union in 1925, but the field was reorganized in 1927. From 1927 to 1942, Qualicum Pastoral Charge included Dashwood, Bowser and Fanny Bay while Parksville Pastoral Charge included Coombs, Errington and Nanoose. In 1942, the Parksville-Qualicum Pastoral Charge was formed and also included Errington and Coombs. This remained until 1953. In 1953, the Qualicum Pastoral Charge was re-formed to include Coombs, an arrangement that continues to this day. In 1941, a new church was built in the centre of Qualicum and was renamed St. Stephen's United Church. This was replaced with a new church building which was opened and dedicated in 1961, while the old church building became a Christian Education Centre.

Lawson (family)

The Lawson family moved to the area now known as West Vancouver in 1907, and is one of the original pioneer families of West Vancouver. John Lawson, who became the second Reeve of West Vancouver from 1913 to 1914, was instrumental in the development of education, postal service, transportation, and telephone service for the area. He and his wife Christina had three children – Elizabeth, Gertrude, and Duncan.

The family was very active in all aspects of community life. In 1908, the first church services in the District took place at the Lawsons' waterfront home with Elizabeth Lawson as pianist. Elizabeth married in 1914 and raised a family in West Vancouver. Gertrude Lawson devoted her life to teaching, and was a well-loved school teacher in West Vancouver. She lived in her stone castle house at 680-17th Street until her death in 1989. The District purchased the property, and her original home was designated as a Heritage Building. After subsequent renovations, it officially re-opened as the West Vancouver Museum and Archives in 1994. Duncan Lawson served in World War I and was killed in action overseas in 1918. The Duncan Lawson Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire was named in his honour. Elizabeth Pitman (Lawson) died in 1953, and John Lawson, who was regarded as the father of West Vancouver, died in 1954. His wife, Christina Lawson died in 1955. John Lawson bequeathed part of the family's waterfront property to the District, which became John Lawson Park. The park and museum serve as historic reminders of the important contributions the Lawson family made to the development of West Vancouver.

Iredale, W. Randle, 1929-

W. Randle Iredale is one of the contributors to the architecture of Simon Fraser University. He and his partner, William R. Rhone, were responsible for designing and building the Science Complex according to design specifications outlined by Erickson and Massey (the architects responsible for the overall design of the university). Rhone and Iredale built the Science Complex in three phases based on preliminary drawings by Erickson and Massey, but added their own ideas and innovations to the building. Iredale was born in Calgary, Alberta in 1929. In 1955 he received a degree in architecture from the University of British Columbia, and went to work for McCarter & Nairne until Iredale was registered in 1957. He had his own practice from 1957 to 1959, and then formed a partnership with William R. Rhone. In 1963 Rhone and Iredale submitted an entry to the contest to design the new university that would be built on top of Burnaby Mountain. Their design finished in second place. According to the contest parameters, the top five winners would each be given a contract to build a section of the campus according to the winners overall design. Originally, Rhone and Iredale chose the Academic Quadrangle, but changed their minds and picked the Science Complex, which Chancellor Gordon Shrum had assured them would be expanded on a regular basis. The Science Complex was built in three phases between 1964 and 1971: Phase I was substantially completed by August 1, 1965, Phase II was completed September 7, 1966 and Phase III was completed in 1971. Rhone and Iredale also designed and built the student pub, circa 1970.

University of Victoria (B.C.) President's Office

The office was established in 1964. The President is responsible for both the academic and administrative offices of the university; he also acts as Vice-Chancellor. The precursor to the office was the Principal's Office of Victoria College. The title of Principal was formally changed to President in 1964. The past Presidents were: W. Harry Hickman (Principal), 1963-64; Malcolm Taylor, 1964-68; Robert T.D. Wallace (Acting President), 1968-69; Bruce J. Partridge, 1969-72; Hugh E. Farquhar, 1972-74; Howard E. Petch, 1975-90; David F. Strong, 1990-1999; David H. Turpin, 2000 - present.

St. Ann's Academy (Kamloops, B.C.)

St. Ann's Academy was established in Kamloops, B.C., by the Sisters of St. Ann in 1880 in a small house on the Kamloops flats by the river. A later building was erected on a hillside overlooking the city. Originally a boarding school, it was rebuilt as a day school after a fire in 1945. The Sisters withdrew in 1985. The school is still operated by the Christian Brothers and lay staff.

Results 1 to 25 of 20894