Showing 22410 results

authority records

Society for the Furtherance of British Columbia Indian Arts and Crafts

  • Corporate body
  • 1940-

The Society for the Furtherance of BC Indian Arts and Crafts was initially formed in 1940 as a committee at the suggestion of Anthony Walsh, of the Inkameep Indian School, B.C. The society was founded by Alice Ravenhill. Its objectives were primarily ‘to promote the revival of the latent gifts of art, drama, dance and song, as well as certain handicrafts, among the Indians of this Province.’ The committee became a society in 1941 with objectives ‘to compile a schedule and pictorial record of authentic specimens of totem poles, pictographs, petroglyphs and other tribal arts and crafts; to compile a bibliography on B.C. Arts and Crafts; to collect new material in the form of drawings, photographs or written records of B.C. Indian Arts and Crafts; to encourage commercial use of these and all other authentic B.C. Indian designs; to gather records of B.C. Native Music; to compile a bibliography of B.C. Native Mythology and Drama; to encourage Pupils of Indian Schools and Tribal Experts in the revival of their latent gifts of Arts, Crafts and Drama, with a view to improve their economic position, to restore their self respect, and to induce more sympathetic relations between them and their fellow Canadians; and to publish leaflets, books and articles in harmony with the work of the Society.’ The first members of the committee were Major Bullock-Webster, Douglas Flintoff, A.E. Pickford, Madame Sanderson Mongin, Miss Cave-Brown-Cave, Alma Russell, Betty Newton, and Alice Ravenhill as secretary. Projects completed were the publication of The Tale of the Nativity, a selection of stories told to Anthony Walsh by his students that includes artwork by Sis-hu-lk (Francis Baptiste); charts of examples of various tribal art forms; exhibitions; and letters and meetings with members of government.
In 1951, the society incorporated and changed its name to the British Columbia Indian Arts and Welfare Society.

Eastwood, Alex

Alex Eastwood worked for the B.C. Security Commission during the internment of Japanese Canadian citizens.

Deuel, Fred A.

Frederick Alan Deuel was an art and social studies teacher at Hillside Seconday School from 1960 to ca. 1986. During this time he taught classes in both art and social studies and produced a great deal of graphic work, including material relating to the school plays produced each year.

Fred met his wife Beryl who taught Chemistry at Crofton House School at a dance in 1957. Beryl Deuel died December 12, 2005.

Gladwin Heights United Church (Abbotsford, B.C.)

The Gladwin Heights United Church, located in Abbotsford and part of Fraser Presbytery, was established in 1981 as a congregation within Abbotsford Pastoral Charge. It became a separate pastoral charge in 1985.

Harris, Elizabeth

  • 1903-1989

Frances Elinor Elizabeth Harris (nee Collis) was born July 7, 1903, in Cumberland, B.C. She was educated in Esquimalt and after marrying in 1929 she and her husband left for China, where they spent several years, including two and a half years in a Japanese concentration camp. Following her husband's death in 1949 she took over the Royal Roads Kindergarten and ran it until 1974. Elizabeth (Beth) Harris died June 5, 1989.

Clearihue, Etholine, d. 1937

Etholine Clearihue was the brother of Judge Joseph B. Clearihue, Chancellor of the University of Victoria, 1963-1966.

Winnington-Ingram, Herbert Frederick

H.F. Winnington-Ingram served in the Royal Navy. In 1838, he was a midshipman, later becoming a Rear-Admiral. He wrote the book "Hearts of Oak" (1889).

Hollyburn Ridge Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-?

The Hollyburn Ridge Association was formed in 1973 to protect and promote Hollyburn Ridge, defined as the area of West Vancouver above the 1200 feet level between the Capilano River and Cypress Provincial Park. The objectives of the society were the preservation, protection, and continuance of the cabin area on Hollyburn Ridge, promotion of the recreational use and public access to the Hollyburn Ridge Area, and negotiation with all levels of government to encourage and promote the aims and objectives of the Hollyburn Ridge Association. The Association published a newsletter called the Ridgerunner from January of 1979.

Some members of the Hollyburn Ridge Association, along with Municipal Managers, served as members of the Hollyburn Ridge Sub-Committee convened by the Corporation of the District of West Vancouver to regulate use and building of cabins on Hollyburn Ridge.

Newell, G.R.

Captain G. R. Newell was a marine surveyor in 1962 and 1963 and resided in Victoria, B.C. In 1945, Newell was master of the SS Bowness Park (liberty class).

Osoyoos Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1938-1988

The Osoyoos Women’s Institute was organized by Zella McGregor of Penticton in 1938. Early projects included school sanitation, welfare, Christmas celebrations, water testing, and formation of the local Boy Scout troop and a Parent-Teachers Association. During WW II, the institute was engaged in knitting projects, fundraising, procurement of a doctor for Osoyoos, and general welfare for the local community. Similar activities carried on after the war, including the creation of footpaths, fundraising for the hospital, and the collection of clothing for Unitarian relief. The Osoyoos Women’s Institute folded in 1988 because of lack of membership.

Fogarty, Pat

  • Person

Pat Fogarty was a sociologist who worked for Environment Canada from 1971-1983 until his retirement. During that time he participated in the socio-economic assessment of the MacKenzie River Pipeline Study. In 1991, Fogarty became a volunteer member of a steering committee commissioned by the BC Ministry of Forests to manage the development of the Public Access Silviculture Information System (PASIS).

University of Victoria (B.C.) President's Office

The office was established in 1964. The President is responsible for both the academic and administrative offices of the university; he also acts as Vice-Chancellor. The precursor to the office was the Principal's Office of Victoria College. The title of Principal was formally changed to President in 1964. The past Presidents were: W. Harry Hickman (Principal), 1963-64; Malcolm Taylor, 1964-68; Robert T.D. Wallace (Acting President), 1968-69; Bruce J. Partridge, 1969-72; Hugh E. Farquhar, 1972-74; Howard E. Petch, 1975-90; David F. Strong, 1990-1999; David H. Turpin, 2000 - present.

Victoria College (B.C.). Library

An informal library was established in the early days of Victoria College, which was administered by staff. Individuals include, Margaret Ross 1934-1935, Staff Administrator; and Sydney G. Pettit 1937-1938, instructor of History. Beginning in 1946, formally trained librarians were appointed: Marjorie Griffin 1946-1947; Edith Stewart 1947-1948; Kathleen R. Matthews 1948-1951; Douglas G. Lochhead 1951-1952; Albert A. Spratt 1953-1960; and Dean W. Halliwell 1960-1963. Halliwell became the University Librarian at the University of Victoria in 1963.

St. Stephen's United Church (Qualicum Beach, B.C.)

St. Stephen's United Church is one of two points in the Qualicum Pastoral Charge. The other point is Grace United Church (Coombs, B.C.). St. Stephen's United Church began its life as Qualicum Beach Presbyterian Church. Presbyterian work began in the Qualicum Beach area with the arrival of a minister to serve the Parksville Mission Field in 1913. In April, 1914, the minister from Parksville began providing services in a school house and later, in Fishers Hall, which was across from the railway station in Qualicum Beach. A Session was constituted in November, 1915 for the Parksville Mission Field, with members being elected from Parksville, Errington, Hilliers and Qualicum Beach. By 1917, Coombs was also a part of this field. The first church building, Qualicum Beach Presbyterian Church was erected at Qualicum Beach in February, 1920. The Parksville Mission Field came into church union in 1925, but the field was reorganized in 1927. From 1927 to 1942, Qualicum Pastoral Charge included Dashwood, Bowser and Fanny Bay while Parksville Pastoral Charge included Coombs, Errington and Nanoose. In 1942, the Parksville-Qualicum Pastoral Charge was formed and also included Errington and Coombs. This remained until 1953. In 1953, the Qualicum Pastoral Charge was re-formed to include Coombs, an arrangement that continues to this day. In 1941, a new church was built in the centre of Qualicum and was renamed St. Stephen's United Church. This was replaced with a new church building which was opened and dedicated in 1961, while the old church building became a Christian Education Centre.

Lawson (family)

The Lawson family moved to the area now known as West Vancouver in 1907, and is one of the original pioneer families of West Vancouver. John Lawson, who became the second Reeve of West Vancouver from 1913 to 1914, was instrumental in the development of education, postal service, transportation, and telephone service for the area. He and his wife Christina had three children – Elizabeth, Gertrude, and Duncan.

The family was very active in all aspects of community life. In 1908, the first church services in the District took place at the Lawsons' waterfront home with Elizabeth Lawson as pianist. Elizabeth married in 1914 and raised a family in West Vancouver. Gertrude Lawson devoted her life to teaching, and was a well-loved school teacher in West Vancouver. She lived in her stone castle house at 680-17th Street until her death in 1989. The District purchased the property, and her original home was designated as a Heritage Building. After subsequent renovations, it officially re-opened as the West Vancouver Museum and Archives in 1994. Duncan Lawson served in World War I and was killed in action overseas in 1918. The Duncan Lawson Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire was named in his honour. Elizabeth Pitman (Lawson) died in 1953, and John Lawson, who was regarded as the father of West Vancouver, died in 1954. His wife, Christina Lawson died in 1955. John Lawson bequeathed part of the family's waterfront property to the District, which became John Lawson Park. The park and museum serve as historic reminders of the important contributions the Lawson family made to the development of West Vancouver.

Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association

In 1954, the Nanaimo Gun Club and the Nanaimo Fish and Game
Association officially merged to become the Nanaimo and District Fish and Game Protective Association. A form of the club had been in existence as early as 1905 when a a local group organized in response to a provincial government plan to sell all hunting rights on Vancouver Island to American interests.
The club promotes fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreational pursuits and wildlife conservation. The NDFGPA also teaches the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation program (CORE) and works cooperatively with provincial agencies on the Vancouver Island marmot project, deer counts, lake and stream monitoring, and elk relocations. In addition, many members serve on various regional, provincial and national Boards and Committees dealing with wildlife
and fisheries management issues.

Wheeler, Dennis

  • Person
  • 1948-1977

Dennis Wheeler, writer and filmmaker, was born in Vancouver in 1948. He studied art history and English at the University of British Columbia and became an integral part of the Vancouver art community during the late 1960s. His writing and criticism was published in artscanada, Grape, and The Georgia Straight. In 1975 he directed the film Potlatch: A Strict Law Bids Us Dance for the U’mista Cultural Centre. In 1976 he collaborated with Nancy Holt on the video Revolve. Wheeler died of leukemia in 1977.

Spanish Development Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-2006

The first meeting of the Spanish Development Society was held in the Rialto Hotel in November, 1974. Town Council approved the Spanish motif December, 1974. The society was incorporated in December 1975. The Spanish theme was created as a vehicle for beautification because the terrain in Osoyoos is similar to that of Spain. It was thought that Osoyoos would benefit from the increased winter tourism experienced by towns such as Leavenworth, Washington. The Spanish theme was incorporated into the municipal hall in 1974 and later into storefronts and homes. The Don Carlos logo was approved in 1976. As fundraisers, the society sponsored the Irish Rovers in 1976, many bingos, and the second World Wrist Wrestling championships in 1977. They erected Spanish themed signage at the
town entrances, and beautified the town hall with a fountain and plaque. The society was disbanded in 2006.

Results 1 to 25 of 22410