View archival description

Fonds MS 8 - Father Nicolas Coccola fonds
Reports

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Father Nicolas Coccola fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA FTST MS 8

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • photocopied 1983 (Creation)
    Creator
    Coccola, Nicolas, 1854-1943

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Coccola, Nicolas, 1854-1943 (1854-1943)

Biographical history

Father Nicolas Coccola arrived in BC from his homeland of Corsica in 1880. His first mission was in Kamloops, where he became proficient in many languages and also earned a reputation as a healer. In 1883, he was asked to attend the CPR construction camps, starting at Eagle Pass. After more than a year at the camps, he returned to Kamloops. In 1887, he was transferred to St. Eugene Mission in Cranbrook. While there, he was instrumental in restoring peace to the region after tensions arose between the white settlers, the NWMP, and the Kootenay band. Father Coccola was responsible for the building of the residential school which opened in 1890, St. Eugene’s Hospital which opened in 1901, and was co-discoverer of the gold ore which led to the development of the St. Eugene Mine at Moyie Lake. By 1906, Father Coccola had been transferred to Stuart Lake in Northern BC.

Custodial history

The records were given to Notre Dame University (Nelson, B.C.) in 1970 by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. When David Thompson University Centre (successor to Notre Dame University) closed in 1983, the records were sent to Fort Steele for copying.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of a excerpts from a diary written by Father Coccola in 1934. Includes excerpts pertaining to Father Coccola's time in the East Kootenay region.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated / related material

Accruals

Other notes

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

MS 8

Institution identifier

Fort Steele Heritage Town Archives

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created 9 January 2011

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Actions