View archival description
Fonds - Church of Our Lord fonds
Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1854-2009, predominant 1874-1990 (Creation)
- Church of Our Lord
Physical description area
ca. 300 photographs
ca. 50 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Church of Our Lord was established on October 29, 1874 by Rev. Edward Cridge. Cridge was sent to the colonial outpost of Fort Victoria in 1855 as Chaplain to the Hudson's Bay Company. Rev. Cridge played a major role in establishing the Anglican church in Victoria and later became Dean of Christ Church Cathedral. Doctrinal differences resulted in Cridge and his large following creating a new congregation in the fall of 1874 and, in keeping with its evangelical principles, the new church affiliated with the Reformed Episcopal Church of America.
The Church Of Our Lord building was completed in 1875 and dedicated on Sunday, January 16, 1876. The land and organ were donated by a founding member, Sir James Douglas, Chief Factor of the Hudson's Bay Company, and later Governor of the Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The church was designed by John Teague, who later became Mayor of Victoria. The building, of board and batten construction in the Carpenter Gothic style, was declared a Federal Heritage Building in 1998 and over the next five years underwent a major restoration.
The Church of Our Lord retains an active presence in the Victoria community to this day.
Scope and content
Fonds pertains to the operations, programs, and congregational, heritage and community activities of the Church of Our Lord from its founding in 1874 until the present. The fonds consists of six series:
I. Administration series, 1874-2009, 2.5 m of textual records (Vestry and Board minutes and other records, Annual Meetings, administrative files and financial records).
II. Ministry and programs series, 1874-2008, ca.2.5 m of textual records and photographs (worship services, marriages, baptisms, confirmations, burials, Sunday School, missions and outreach, publications, fellowship, gatherings and events)
III. Committees and groups series, 1920-2008, 65 cm of textual records (youth groups, women’s groups, the Missionary Guild, other committees and groups).
IV. Buildings and grounds series, 1974-2003, 1.5 m of textual records, architectural drawings and photographs (restoration and renovation planning and research, Restoration 125 Millennium Project and other projects).
V. Topical series, [ca.1880-ca.2000], ca.75 cm of textual records, photographs and print material (biography and subject files, collected Bibles, publications).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated / related material
- General note: Records were transferred to newly established archives program in 2009
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Church of Our Lord (Creator)
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description